Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1635 1636 [1637] 1638 1639 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121485 times)

angrysully

Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24540 on: August 01, 2012, 04:50:08 pm »

Edit:  What is the best way to killing demons?
What's the acceptable margin of friendly deaths we talking about?

I got about 30 dwarves in my military, 20 war dogs (60-70 dogs altogether who will eventually become war dogs and part of the military) and about 160 non military dwarves.  Next migrant waves are going to be bulking up the army.  I have been working on getting full sets of steel for 25 active soldiers which is almost done but eventually i want to equip 100.  Max pop is 500.  My mindset is, as long as tantrums are controlled, feed kindle to the fire.
Sounds like it's either going to be a close crippling fight, or you're going to get absolutely slaughtered. Down to the amount of clowns that spawn I guess. AND that's assuming there are quite a few legendary Dwarves who'll be fighting. I'd say if you want to be more certain of victory, drop cave ins on the clowns. Use retractable steel/candy menacing spikes on repeaters. Even use 7 + 7 if you have to. If you're lucky there'll be no metal, dust, fire or vaporous clowns, and I could see you winning by military. At high risk of death. So go do Dorfy things with your defenses. Preferably with magma safe mechanisms too. Also checkerboard.
And one last thing - I swear if you manage to get the HFS to fight a sponge I will sacrifice 4 cavy sows to your name.

There were at least 20-30 but they are constantly fighting underground creatures including mega beasts which is kinda funny.  I just want to get all my infantry in full steel and trained well so they can push into HFS if need be and fuck shit up.  I'm not sure if you can even conquer HFS but I will eventually try.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24541 on: August 01, 2012, 04:51:15 pm »

Reroute HFS to river, or reroute river to HFS!?

I'm not sure if you can even conquer HFS but I will eventually try.

Oh yes you can.
Check that thread he linekd to. That man conquered HFS, and didn't even look back. Hundreds died.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:53:13 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

lordofthenothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24542 on: August 01, 2012, 04:55:02 pm »

Most of my fortress is flooded. Most of my dwarves were in there too! Hopefully some got themself safe, i'm starting to pump everything out.

angrysully

« Reply #24543 on: August 01, 2012, 07:15:24 pm »

Is there a reason why I can't assign war dogs to citizens or military?  Just lists their availability as "Work Force".  If that is the case, do I need to assign them before they are trained as war dogs?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24544 on: August 01, 2012, 07:25:12 pm »

they do need to be trained before they can be assigned. Need to make a zone for animal training.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #24545 on: August 01, 2012, 10:45:03 pm »

My blacksmith went into a strange mood. I forbid my hastily erected metalsmith's forge in hopes of Planepacking whatever it is he's going to make.

Oh, wait. That's gonna attract goblins...oh well.

Update: forbidding didn't actually make him Planepack it. It did, however, create a pretty pimping bucket. Time to rebuild my well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:55:21 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #24546 on: August 01, 2012, 11:00:42 pm »

I got spammed with messages saying some farmers had been interrupted by Kea. I was then wondering how the bastards got into to my below ground farms and then started to interfer with haulers in my magma works where I've started melting a glacier for meltwater. It took a while for me to realise that they'd gotten in my flying down my wood chute leading in from the surface. I've got minecart track set up to drump surface wood down into a stockpile near the farms. Currently I'm trying to cage a female kea currently trying to eat/run away from a hauler in the access tunnels of my mamga works. Soon I'll have a kea breeding program set up and the dwarves of Frostcastles shall feast on kea eggs!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

angrysully

« Reply #24547 on: August 01, 2012, 11:25:23 pm »

they do need to be trained before they can be assigned. Need to make a zone for animal training.

Won't let me assign any war dogs, can only assign them to trainers and that is it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24548 on: August 01, 2012, 11:29:16 pm »

They're assigned through the 'e' work animals submenu under the 'p' Pref menu when selecting a dwarf with the 'v' command.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

angrysully

« Reply #24549 on: August 02, 2012, 12:00:38 am »

They're assigned through the 'e' work animals submenu under the 'p' Pref menu when selecting a dwarf with the 'v' command.

ohh ok, thanks

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24550 on: August 02, 2012, 02:23:18 am »

Just gleaned through them military, and I'm happy to say I've got 102 soldiers. No recruits, soldiers. Every single last one of them is a soldier trained at what they do. The only Dwarves with no listed exclusive military skills are legendary miners and the were-civets. The profession the military screen assigns the were-civets is just 'Dwarves.'
I'm not sure what to make of that, but damn does it make you smile.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24551 on: August 02, 2012, 07:22:31 am »

Still haven't found any bituminous coal or lignite so looks like I have to start a metal industry with charcoal, the next batch of immigrants will surely swell the population enough to draw unwanted attention. Also got an object lesson about trying to be too neat and orderly; it seemed logical the have the floodgate lever in the well room but since the dwarf who opened the floodgate took off and nobody got around to pulling the lever again in time, disaster was only averted by quick installation of doors. The flooded section is now directly connected to a brook so I don't think it can be drained but at least I can fill the second cistern from there...

Oh yeah, some sort of a werebeast attacked the logging crew, killed one of them and dropped the corpse into a very inconveniently placed pool. If a ghost shows up and I'll have to try to drain to pool to get the body for burial, fun will be guaranteed...
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24552 on: August 02, 2012, 07:28:11 am »

The first half of 849 has been quite eventful for the fortress of Sacklancer. The Tower of Trade has been completed, all but a little cleaning up. This is a tower made from phyllite blocks, 5 z-levels high, capped by a hemispherical dome. There will be a trade depot on the ground floor and plenty of storage for worthless trinkets on the floors above. It's not quite on the level of megaprojects, more of a kiloproject, and completed in the fort's 5th year of existence.

The cleanup has given my medical dwarves a chance to gain experience, especially of setting bones. Now I've learned that it isn't a good idea to deconstruct staircases without taking precautions first, such as installing floor grates on the level below.

The forges, smelters and kilns are all now operational, though the only ore to be found is sphalerite, despite this site supposed to have both "shallow metals" and "deep metals". Oh well! Zinc bins on autorepeat.

A burrowed dwarf kept accepting "collect clay" jobs then cancelling the job from the workshop until I unburrowed him. Am I going to have to collapse a clay soil tile *through* the aquifer into the forge burrow to keep him happy?

An undead siege was disrupted by goblin ambushers, with very little cleanup for my dwarves to do. One squad of bowgobs fought its way from the southwest corner of the map to the southeast and then idled at the bottom of a dry murky pond while I brought in bodies from the western half of the map for disposal. I didn't see them leave but they seem to have finally got bored and left. Another later ambush put two of my marksdwarves in hospital, though they seem to have made a full recovery. In my experience, mid-season is usually safe from goblin ambushes, but a legendary woodcutter/carpenter proved this rule of thumb false. He's now entombed and slabbed: the fortress's first official casualty. Although one useless hauler sacrificed himself to get the magma flowing, and a three-year-old child went missing.

I've noticed that the human and dwarf caravans spawn in the northeast corner of the map, and have to cross the river to the west half of the map before re-crossing it in my fort's entrance. The next project I've started is the creation of a new fortified and trapped entrance so that my current entrance will be the back door.

Once I've dealt with this goblin siege. And the couple of necromancers who just arrived and started reanimating the bodies.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:46:01 am by lazygun »

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24553 on: August 02, 2012, 10:34:59 am »

A lot has happened in Chasmgloves in the last month. First was a loosely ambitions goal of getting rid of a dwarvish corpse out of a pond that as it happens supplies my hospital with well water. I had to turn temperature back on, which froze the lake. A miner mined out the corpse, we removed it, and we had the plan to rebuild the wall there.

Well... it took too long, and the lake un-froze. My hospital is currently evaporating the last of that water...

And while that's going on, hey! lakes are surrounded by ramps now! People ran into goblin thieves immediately coming into my new fort. Well, happily I have a now legendary backup squad of two dwarves, that immediately ran to cover the opening. They cleaned up, but not before two things happened. On one hand a few goblins got into the fort and killed a planter (IE, a young dwarf I still haven't assigned to a real labor yet). melbil Sazirgusgash, you'll be missed. I think what killed her was overconfidence.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you look in there, she would have made an EXCELLENT dwarf, she was in a budding relationship, and the oldest daughter of my two favorite dwarves in the fort, Udib "chosen" Rimmirrored the Simple Sinews of Combatting, and Ustuth "protector" Armtool the Mountainous Pits of Fame. Oh well, at least she had 15 siblings.

Oh shit... 15 siblings... Please, let the master consolers of this fort deal with that problem before it's a problem.

oh, the other problem? one of my swordmasters was stabbed "in the left upper arm from behind with a silver spear, and the severed part sails off in an arc!". A spear just cut off his entire arm. Oh, and he was lefthanded, meaning he's officially completely useless in battle now. Shame, because I labeled this one "sociopath". Even before his training, he had these qualities:
- put off by authority and tradition
- not affected by the suffering of others
- doesn't go out of his way to do more work than necessary
- does the first thing that comes to mind
- likes Gila monster men for their venomous bite
- likes quarry bushes (oh, hey, that's good) for their gray leaves (really?)
- when possible, he prefers to consume strangler (for... it's strangling properties?)
- has a meager ability with social relationships

Well... oh well. At least he's still a legendary bone carver, known for making Gikutenkos duthalmelbil (Dabblingtake the Worthy Tome), also known as the black-crested gibbon bone trumpet, with artwork relating to the defeat of a brushed frigid horror and pillaging of tormenttips. This guy... sick. And now I can't even use him in the military.

Edit: no tantrum spiral, yay! On the other hand I found that another child is haunting the fort. I can't find his body, even though they've assigned him a coffin. Guess I get to make my first memorial!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:48:38 am by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

angrysully

« Reply #24554 on: August 02, 2012, 11:44:36 am »

In order to get dwarves to store their weapons/armor on racks/stands, do you need to put them in their barracks that they are assigned to or do you need to make a separate room and assign it as an armory?
Pages: 1 ... 1635 1636 [1637] 1638 1639 ... 3842