Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1634 1635 [1636] 1637 1638 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121465 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24525 on: August 01, 2012, 12:52:06 pm »

we're back up to 18 adults! Woo! I actually have room for peasants now. I'm debating on where to put these stray dwarves, since all the things I really NEED are already being done. Just... not sure what my next project is going to be.

Still have a clothing problem (way too much crap). Maybe that will upgrade a spot on the priority list.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

angrysully

« Reply #24526 on: August 01, 2012, 01:09:59 pm »

I found the only water supply I could find in the entire zone and i made the water flow through metal vertical bars (will be destroyed eventually by megabeast/demons swimming around) into a chamber that has bar tiles but I'm not sure how to get the dwarves to get water to drink safely.  They can fish through the bars but without a well I'm unsure.  I don't want to stick a well there because a building destroyer can break down the vertical bar and come up through the well.  Any ideas on how to do this?

edit: can a monster come up through a double well?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:11:45 pm by angrysully »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24527 on: August 01, 2012, 01:13:18 pm »

I found the only water supply I could find in the entire zone and i made the water flow through metal vertical bars (will be destroyed eventually by megabeast/demons swimming around) into a chamber that has bar tiles but I'm not sure how to get the dwarves to get water to drink safely.  They can fish through the bars but without a well I'm unsure.  I don't want to stick a well there because a building destroyer can break down the vertical bar and come up through the well.  Any ideas on how to do this?

Take the opening where you would normally stick the well and put a lever operated hatch over it. Put the well 1 z level above the hatch and designate the hatch as a fishing zone. When the hatch is open the well can be used normally and dwarves can fish from it normally but as soon as you close it it will make it impossible for building destroyers attacking from underneath to enter your fortress.

angrysully

« Reply #24528 on: August 01, 2012, 01:16:43 pm »

Take the opening where you would normally stick the well and put a lever operated hatch over it. Put the well 1 z level above the hatch and designate the hatch as a fishing zone. When the hatch is open the well can be used normally and dwarves can fish from it normally but as soon as you close it it will make it impossible for building destroyers attacking from underneath to enter your fortress.

so just lever link one of the floor bars and put a well 1 level above it and make the bar tile a fishing zone?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24529 on: August 01, 2012, 01:23:29 pm »

so just lever link one of the floor bars and put a well 1 level above it and make the bar tile a fishing zone?
That depends on whether bars can be destroyed from below. I always use floor hatches.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24530 on: August 01, 2012, 01:29:29 pm »

Tangathurist (Trampled Dagger) just received spring immigrants.

Motherfuck, it's been a while since I was so happy to see them! My militia was supplied with fresh meat and several production sectors were revived after latest shruk siege and giant cave spider rampages.

Now, bolstering 36 dwarves, the little village is on a good way to stability and prosperity. Yay!

For a moment there I thought you meant that you'd butchered the migrants and fed them to your militia...somehow.
Everybody!

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24531 on: August 01, 2012, 01:46:20 pm »

I've got two fortresses going right now: Ironwinds (around 7 years old, pretty standard wilderness site) and Helmfaith (approaching 1st winter, sinister biome with a two-layer aquifer).

Ironwinds: While hauling a ton of goblin limbs and old socks to the atom smasher, I got ambushed by goblins. One of my brewers, of course, panicked and ran toward the goblins (only a dwarf...), and a stray goblin managed to track down and kill a child, as well. About ten seconds later, I get a message that a child has been kidnapped.

After all this excitement, I noticed one of my miners was unhappy. Turns out he lost his wife and two of this three children in that ambush. Armok really had it in for this guy. What are the odds that I'd lose 3 out of ~150 dwarves, and all would be from the same family?

Helmfaith: I've been lucky on this embark so far. I've managed to keep my dwarves out of the thrall clouds with hatches over the central mine shaft and some heavy-handed use of burrows. Other than a couple ogres and some thralled groundhogs, I haven't seen much deadly wildlife. No typical undead so far. I'm doing farming in the caverns and I've managed to cage some valuable animals, including a giant cave spider. The first two migrant waves and the outpost liaison made it to the fortress without incident. The caravan, not so much. They were about five tiles from safety when one of their speardwarves decided he needed to charge one of the thralled groundhogs. You can guess how that turned out. Now the speardwarf (or should I say spearmaster) thralls are using the thralled caravan animals as punching bags, biding their time, waiting for me to let my guard down...

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24532 on: August 01, 2012, 01:52:09 pm »

Well My current plan in my fort is to make a landing/secure area in each of the caverns, each floor easily taking a year or two. I am almost done with cavern layer one and plan to move on to cavern two.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

angrysully

« Reply #24533 on: August 01, 2012, 02:05:54 pm »

That depends on whether bars can be destroyed from below. I always use floor hatches.

I'm pretty sure any horizontal covers can't be destroyed by building destroyers so I'm fine with that.  Another idea I had but unsure if it would work would be to make a pumping station and hand crank water from one of the open hatches and pump it into another room to safely leave open.  I'm unsure if monsters can get through the space where the pipe is and I'm also unsure if you can pump through a grate/bar

Edit:  What is the best way to killing demons?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:18:24 pm by angrysully »

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24534 on: August 01, 2012, 04:16:33 pm »

My fort is setting for a king's arrival. This is list of my artifacts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
From barrel for masterpiece brew to mechanism for doom bringing lever. :D

Only thing I miss is a crown.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24535 on: August 01, 2012, 04:18:38 pm »

What's the acceptable margin of friendly deaths we talking about?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24536 on: August 01, 2012, 04:20:23 pm »

May I sig?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24537 on: August 01, 2012, 04:24:32 pm »

May I sig?
I was being serious as well o-o

Sure

angrysully

« Reply #24538 on: August 01, 2012, 04:27:38 pm »

I got about 30 dwarves in my military, 20 war dogs (60-70 dogs altogether who will eventually become war dogs and part of the military) and about 160 non military dwarves.  Next migrant waves are going to be bulking up the army.  I have been working on getting full sets of steel for 25 active soldiers which is almost done but eventually i want to equip 100.  Max pop is 500.  My mindset is, as long as tantrums are controlled, feed kindle to the fire.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24539 on: August 01, 2012, 04:39:21 pm »

I got about 30 dwarves in my military, 20 war dogs (60-70 dogs altogether who will eventually become war dogs and part of the military) and about 160 non military dwarves.  Next migrant waves are going to be bulking up the army.  I have been working on getting full sets of steel for 25 active soldiers which is almost done but eventually i want to equip 100.  Max pop is 500.  My mindset is, as long as tantrums are controlled, feed kindle to the fire.
Sounds like it's either going to be a close crippling fight, or you're going to get absolutely slaughtered. Down to the amount of clowns that spawn I guess. AND that's assuming there are quite a few legendary Dwarves who'll be fighting. I'd say if you want to be more certain of victory, drop cave ins on the clowns. Use retractable steel/candy menacing spikes on repeaters. Even use 7 + 7 if you have to. If you're lucky there'll be no metal, dust, fire or vaporous clowns, and I could see you winning by military. At high risk of death. So go do Dorfy things with your defenses. Preferably with magma safe mechanisms too. Also checkerboard.
And one last thing - I swear if you manage to get the HFS to fight a sponge I will sacrifice 4 cavy sows to your name.
Pages: 1 ... 1634 1635 [1636] 1637 1638 ... 3842