Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1632 1633 [1634] 1635 1636 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121302 times)

SandyCaesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24495 on: July 31, 2012, 03:22:28 am »

Good news: much-needed migrants to expand my fort of 18.

Bad news: ffff--46 migrants. Sure, come the hell on in. Militia needs more meatshields anyway. At least the farms were oversized and--

"The wereelk has come!

Right in the middle of the migration wave.

Well, that's one problem that'll solve itself. Lucky survivors get to make their way into the fort before the bridges go up. If you're not in the first twenty or so, kindly hurt the sumbitch as much as you can before he tears you into many pieces, okay?

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24496 on: July 31, 2012, 04:42:48 am »

Not exactly my fort, per se, but certainly an interesting case. Examining the latest trade agreement, I saw that the mountainhome is willing to pay top dollar (dwarfbuck?) for splints and crutches. I can only assume that they have had a lot of bad luck lately.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24497 on: July 31, 2012, 05:13:38 am »

Lost lots and lots of drink due to careless use of autodump. (It empties barrels :( ). Now all my dwarves are running around thirsty, I've already used up all the local plants and there's no water.
()==[:::::::::::::>

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24498 on: July 31, 2012, 06:57:00 am »

Not exactly my fort, per se, but certainly an interesting case. Examining the latest trade agreement, I saw that the mountainhome is willing to pay top dollar (dwarfbuck?) for splints and crutches. I can only assume that they have had a lot of bad luck  !FUN! lately.

FTFY

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #24499 on: July 31, 2012, 10:07:03 am »

I hadn't played DF for a while, then I finally got the newest version and started playing. Finally got to see the FIRST night creature...A rotten gray langur corpse! Okay, that's kinda cool. So I look around to see if there are any others.

"kingsnake scale"

My dwarves are being attacked by a single undead snake scale?
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24500 on: July 31, 2012, 11:19:03 am »

Stage 1 of the outside fortifications have finally been completed in Minemanors, the Blood of Volcanoes! A 3-wide, 2-high hollow wall surrounds a simple, yet spiffy entrance tower. Likewise, inside the walls is a trap-laden hive complex (I got tired of trolls slipping in and trashing my hive-vibe) as well as a prettier-than-it-should-be refuse pit. The best part? It's all smooth Cobaltite. So blue! BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE!. I might post pics later.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24501 on: July 31, 2012, 11:29:46 am »

I quadruple and quintuple checked my pump stack and started it up. At the very top, beneath my forges, I had a leak that I missed. Luckily, no deaths, but the magma leaked 10 z levels down a staircase to a dead end which held all my coffins.  Thank GOD I made most of the coffins out of gabbro.  Three granite coffins turned to ash, but it could have been about 15-20 (if it were'nt for the gabbro coffins) which would have made my fort ghost headquarters!!

angrysully

« Reply #24502 on: July 31, 2012, 01:20:28 pm »

Started off at year 5 to make it more challenging and did well for a while until I dug to adamantine and opened a shaft into hell which at least 20+ demons flooded out.  I blocked them off but now I can't get to the underground water because the demons swim in it and any opening I make will be disastrous.  Any idea how to kill the demons and black them at the base without getting close (most demons are ash demons with poison clouds).  Only positive thing out of this is that the demons seem to fight themselves and whenever a mega beast appears, the demons kill them.

Some screen shots to help with advice:

This is very near the bottom, 1-2 levels before hell levels and I tried to block them off but there were too many.

I managed to block them off and wall off my bridge with only 2-3 deaths but they somehow got around and went through the other areas of the caverns (most likely flew through open space) so I had to wall off stairs a few levels above this where no cavern was shown so now my cavern exploring is halted until I can kill them.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24503 on: July 31, 2012, 01:25:53 pm »

The desert fortress of Heatrazor fell due to mismanagement from migrant overload.  I decided on a completely different biome, an oceanside marsh appropriately named Oceanmirrors.  This was just as new to me as the desert, so I did a bit of prep reading.  When I hit my first aquifer layer, I knew exactly what to do, thanks to Quantum Menace's Aquifer Guide

Food has been quite different here.  Edibles only available via caravans are commonplace in Oceanmirrors.  After countless embarks with "there's nothing to catch" messages for hapless fisherdwarves, it's been cool to actually have seafood as an important part of a fort's food supply.  Given the marshy interior, I chose different birds from my usual turkey and chicken set-up, too.  This time around, it's geese and ducks.  Also, I've never done much with hunters, but Oceanmirrors has 2 who have been busy supplying the fortress with albatross, osprey, sea otter, and dingo meat. As a vegetarian IRL, I think friends of mine would be surprised at all the fishing, hunting, and butchering I get up to in DF! 

The fort population is currently at 20 after the first two obligatory migrant waves and a few births.  The pop cap is set to 7 and baby_cap percentage at 20.  I'll raise those in increments as I get more bedrooms and other amenities ready.  After the 230+ horde of Heatrazor WAAAAY before I was prepared (one migrant wave had 50 dwarves!!!) , I'm taking things slow with the population of Oceanmirrors. 

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24504 on: July 31, 2012, 01:49:10 pm »

I posted back a bit about how a minotaur invaded my fort, where I suffered 2 casualties and had one seriously injured dwarf, all from my militia. That injured dwarf has now made a near full recovery! (One part is still healing.) Being sorta new to DF this is the first time I've had a seriously injured dwarf recover. I plan to return him to the militia once he is completely healed.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24505 on: July 31, 2012, 01:55:16 pm »

I posted back a bit about how a minotaur invaded my fort, where I suffered 2 casualties and had one seriously injured dwarf, all from my militia. That injured dwarf has now made a near full recovery! (One part is still healing.) Being sorta new to DF this is the first time I've had a seriously injured dwarf recover. I plan to return him to the militia once he is completely healed.

Yeah, one of my favorite aspects of DF is the Healthcare system.  Survivors from massive injuries are often the dwarves I remember the most, other than my original 7.  I once had a dwarf who permanently lost the use of one leg.  I was going to retire him from the military, until I noticed him report to duty with a crutch and shield held with the same hand and his trusty warhammer in the other.  He became one of my best soldiers. 

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24506 on: July 31, 2012, 04:34:00 pm »

And on a unrelated note my fort has a vampire. YAY! Or nay? Welp, My plan to find it is to supply too many bedrooms, then check who doesn't have one.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24507 on: July 31, 2012, 05:11:17 pm »

the last of the 6700 obsidian floodgates have been installed and linked to the release array. Now begins the (possibly) 10-year project of filling 'THE BLACK CAULDRON' from the volcano.

scratch that, 10 seasons tops, forgot to carry the Urist.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:05:35 pm by Crashmaster »

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24508 on: July 31, 2012, 05:56:45 pm »

And on a unrelated note my fort has a vampire. YAY! Or nay? Welp, My plan to find it is to supply too many bedrooms, then check who doesn't have one.

Or try the vampire hunting thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112189.0

(The idea of supplying excess bedrooms is a good one if it works.)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24509 on: July 31, 2012, 06:23:03 pm »

Cleanup.  My fortress is a pile of rock and random goods strewn across EVERYWHERE.  I must have 40 pairs of troll sandals, for example.  It's inane.  I'm currently melting down everything I can get my hands on, trying to figure out how to deconstruct/obliterate a ton of random stuff (like troll loincloths) without blowing up my own goods, get a few metric tons of rock moved, and clean out all the rotting/worn clothing my folks have and get them into some masterwork silk.  I'm also building the arena and the target-practice pits so I can clear out 40-50 goblins and trolls I've had locked up over the years.

That's in between the yearly Goblin Siege and random things like weretigers.
Pages: 1 ... 1632 1633 [1634] 1635 1636 ... 3842