Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1620 1621 [1622] 1623 1624 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120859 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24315 on: July 19, 2012, 07:09:41 pm »

IMPORTANT QUESTION: if a crocodile (any animal really, but crocodiles right now) is chained up over sinister ground then dies and comes back as an undead, will it stay chained up still?
No. When a creature dies, it drops all items worn or held. Including chains.

~HOWEVER~

You can assign undead animals just as well as wild animals to chains and cages. I specifically tried this by drowning some pigs, caging them and assigning them to encourage the atonement of prisoners, but alas, being chained made them slightly more docile. They then had to be put down due to bacon demand, but the science results were in and I've forgotten what I began typing abou-

mmm, bacon strips peeled off rotting zombie pigs...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24316 on: July 20, 2012, 01:42:58 am »

To my surprise I'm really enjoying my very easy embark.
I had to do some experiments for my main fort with a 'temporary' fort on my laptop, so I embarked on a island with no goblins, elves or humans.

The result is that my dwarves have a lot of uninterrupted quality time making mine cart experiments.
No need to clean up after invaders or restrict to borrows, only one good trade caravan a year, no need for micro managing who makes armor and weapons.

So yes, my main fort is more Fun (especially when I had to plug the waterfall to exterminate the breeding colony of dingos in the river below), but I just wanted to share how pleasant it can be to see experiments come to life quickly in an easy embark.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24317 on: July 20, 2012, 07:52:56 am »

The experiments in the 'easy' fort has paid off, and my mine cart 'lift' is working.  :)
I've uploaded the map at the archive: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11326-wheelauthors-waterfall
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24318 on: July 20, 2012, 11:33:45 am »

The Goblin Crossbowman's right lower leg takes the full
force of the impact, shattering the bone!
The Goblin Crossbowman looks sick!
The Goblin Crossbowman is caught in a pool of magma!         x2
The Goblin Crossbowman loses hold of the ({steel crossbow}).
The Goblin Crossbowman is caught in a pool of magma!         x32
The Goblin Crossbowman is caught in a pool of magma!         x105
The Goblin Crossbowman vomits.
The vomit burns away in the magma.
The Goblin Crossbowman retches.

Hee hee.  The vomit burns away in the magma.  :P

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24319 on: July 20, 2012, 12:17:30 pm »

I finally started up my hospital, and I think I have a bigger problem than I originally anticipated. Originally I had one dwarve labled useless, and a dwarven child that I assume got caught by an ambush. Well, I'm starting to think the problem wasn't the ambush, but rather the minecarts. I have more dead than I thought I did (build some caskets!), and at least one person was hit with barrels of wine (that minecart has since been decommissioned for safety).

Seriously though, I had to build TWO simultaneous traction benches. For shame. Among the injured is my master tailor. Happily I still have plenty of pigtail robes, enough to last a few years I believe. Hopefully his fractured arms (both) are healed by then.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24320 on: July 20, 2012, 01:39:51 pm »

Nearly finished building 12 new bedrooms to house the increasingly miserable homeless population. (I was focusing on building more defence until I realized just how unhappy they were getting). Once the patches in the roof are built over, in total it'll cost 180,000 Urists worth of flux stone blocks (and mind you I'm still playing in .34.7 - I don't get the x4 block per stone bonus),
21,760 Urists worth of flux stone furniture, high quality beds and 40,000 Urists worth of doors to separate them all.

All to a total of 241,760 Urists, for 12 Dwarves.

I remember a simpler time, when Dwarves lived underground and dug their own homes with nought but the price of a simple copper pick...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24321 on: July 20, 2012, 02:43:52 pm »

Settled on a coastline, and with the borrowed sawmill and reaction from Corrosion, I may once more be able to become one with the ASCII, and hopefully get a stockade and barracks built from the highwood logs I brought.

I did bring some hematite, so my Centurion should have armor and a weapon before the season's end.

I gotta find that thread on whaling, cause this is a savage good sea on a neutral coastline.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24322 on: July 20, 2012, 02:50:13 pm »

Recently, one of my fortresses had a artifact created. I then found out two or three of the artifacts that had been created before this one had engravings of that new artifact. This made me go very  :o indeed.
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24323 on: July 20, 2012, 03:00:11 pm »

Recently, one of my fortresses had a artifact created. I then found out two or three of the artifacts that had been created before this one had engravings of that new artifact. This made me go very  :o indeed.

THAT. IS. AWESOME.

Also I now find myself think "Just one giant whale.... Just one, maybe two, and my people will never go hungery again."

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24324 on: July 20, 2012, 03:13:58 pm »

After reading most of this.. I'm going to embark on a ocean for the first time.. And I started in a bit before 31.01.

So.. This is going to be interesting..
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24325 on: July 20, 2012, 06:34:03 pm »

I think I found a bug with track stops. I reworked the corpse coaster so there'd be enough room to make the cart decelerate, but even when it was moving really slowly it would throw the dwarf out upon reaching the last ramp ("the spinning minecart strikes the dwarf in the whatever, but the attack has no force!") and then fall on top of them ("squish, crunch, vomit"). If I use just the post-trackstop sections and use the ride order plus that last ramp, there's the right amount of momentum for the cart to sail over the gap, through the fortification, and then hit a corner as soon as it lands without crashing into the wall.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24326 on: July 20, 2012, 07:40:22 pm »

Whats going on in my fortress?  Don't know any more as I stopped receiving reports.  :(  The goblins killed everyone but a farmer, a miner (with a month old child), a suturer, another farmer and the self elected mayor of Zaneglektag, the Vampire locked up in prison by the previous (original) leader for murdering one of my woodworkers.  I had almost 90 dwarves counting the 20-ish children.

TIL: Jabberers are mean!
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24327 on: July 20, 2012, 07:44:10 pm »

Finally got my axedorf into his steel kit. However, he seems to be ignoring half of his armor. It has a checkmark in the military screen, but it's just collecting dust in my forge.  :'( Otherwise, we've begun excavation of the fort to be, and started to move goods into the stockpiles there.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24328 on: July 20, 2012, 07:55:27 pm »

So, yet another dwarf went into a strange mood and started demanding metal.
YOU GUYS, WE DO NOT HAVE ANY FUCKING METAL.

So I dumped their entire workshop into the dining room and laughed.

...Yeah, I've kinda had it with the dwarves of Oilpalm. :P This fort is not... Going as well as I'd hoped. On the bright side, someone got taken out by a flying cat leather cloak, so that was amusing.

I wonder if the collapse took out my resident vampire? Who knows...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24329 on: July 20, 2012, 08:00:34 pm »

Yoink, didn't you know who it was already?  The "well, I've been a member of these fortresses already {hands over a ream of paper}" entry in their thoughts screen usually gives it away. ;)

Finally got my axedorf into his steel kit. However, he seems to be ignoring half of his armor. It has a checkmark in the military screen, but it's just collecting dust in my forge.  :'( Otherwise, we've begun excavation of the fort to be, and started to move goods into the stockpiles there.
Try changing him to wear his uniform instead of clothing (replaces), as wearing it over clothing sometimes means they don't have the "room" for some items due to what they already have on.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 ... 1620 1621 [1622] 1623 1624 ... 3842