Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1617 1618 [1619] 1620 1621 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121062 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24270 on: July 15, 2012, 10:04:59 pm »

Granite, 1003 (third year of the fortress)

The macegoblins from the "siege" apparently have taken an interest in Uvash and her quest to "Pickup Equipment" on their side of the river.  I hope she survives, because for a rookie soldier, she's actually doing pretty good.  Too bad nobody else will be able to assist her other than the marksdwarves, and I don't know if they will get to their assigned firing position any time soon.  At least they've picked up the crossbows, quivers and bolts this time around.

The siege consists of one unit of macegoblins armed with maces, flails, and morning-stars.  their leader is a lasher on an alligator that went into the river and the whole unit just stopped there because of it.  Unfortunately the leader isn't drowning (that I can tell), so with Uvash's quest I think the siege may finally figure out the entrance is on the OTHER side of the fortress walls.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24271 on: July 15, 2012, 10:21:35 pm »

Oh boy, the shambles that is Uzolkulin has received its first vampire. They are going to have a field day.

This has to be my worst, messiest fort yet- I don't have that much time to play and my attention-span seems to have suffered. :P I haven't bothered setting up individual bedrooms yet, nor military patrols, or a dumping ground. To top it all off I haven't found any workable metals.
At least we fought off the troglodytes.
Setting up some guards now, I'll try and get some patrols happening. This is actually the first vampire I've had, heh.
Some witless gemsetter expects me to get some metal from someplace for the voices in his head. I certainly intend to trade for some next time some merchants show up, but I'm not wasting them on some useless trinket, so he can go jump.

On the plus side, we finally have a good production of barrels happening, so maybe we won't die of thirst in the winter. Depending on how much longer this place lasts, I guess I'll make a start on some bedrooms and such. Oh and guard towers.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
  • dungeon master with questionable motives
    • View Profile
« Reply #24272 on: July 16, 2012, 01:04:19 am »

I'm building my first 'Fuck the World' device. I will have a self-sustaining bunker deep underground, and if all is doomed I will call my remaining dwarves into the bunker. Then, when a certain lever is pulled, all of my main fort will be flooded with lava, as well as most of the surface. If the survivors in the bunker are tantrumming and there is no hope of saving the fortress, when a second lever is pulled, the bunker will flood too. If your going to die, you may as well die a fiery death in a small enclosed space deep underground

Should be fun.
edit: Typo'd
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 01:07:07 am by Urist McPenguinhead »

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24273 on: July 16, 2012, 04:53:53 am »

My first deliberate cave in went exactly as planned. It's was just a single tile dropped so as to pierce the lowest lake bed and come to rest in a channel, thus safely connecting the lake to my waterworks. It gives me confidence that my larger cave-in trap will work.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24274 on: July 16, 2012, 10:39:59 am »

Well, chilling in Chicago right now, and about a day away from beginning the long drive back to Minnesota. I was getting bored of Starcraft II, so I decided to download DF onto my dad's laptop. I gen a world, and I get this:

I have now been inspired to attempt a knightly Dwarven Fortress.

But first I must ask of thee:

Is it possible to mount thy knights on tamed creatures such as horses? Otherwise I'll simply have to arm them with Sword and Shield.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

TallAsAHouseDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24275 on: July 16, 2012, 12:17:32 pm »

My fortress now has an army of sorts. I started a new, all-female (only requirement on recruitment, other than being useless) wrestler squad, Taint Weapons And Tactics, or T.W.A.T for short.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24276 on: July 16, 2012, 12:19:46 pm »

My fortress now has an army of sorts. I started a new, all-female (only requirement on recruitment, other than being useless) wrestler squad, Taint Weapons And Tactics, or T.W.A.T for short.

Lost it at T.W.A.T, 1+ internets for you!
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Jahsg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24277 on: July 16, 2012, 01:03:25 pm »

Just became the mountain home.. and this king just showed up

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 04:56:45 pm by Jahsg »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24278 on: July 16, 2012, 03:17:44 pm »

Just became the mountain home.. and this king just showed up

Vampire! Lock him in a room and see if he gets hungry.

Also, try to spoiler large images like that, just to save our scroll wheels...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24279 on: July 16, 2012, 05:56:02 pm »

Well, chilling in Chicago right now, and about a day away from beginning the long drive back to Minnesota. I was getting bored of Starcraft II, so I decided to download DF onto my dad's laptop. I gen a world, and I get this:

I have now been inspired to attempt a knightly Dwarven Fortress.

But first I must ask of thee:

Is it possible to mount thy knights on tamed creatures such as horses? Otherwise I'll simply have to arm them with Sword and Shield.

No you cant mount them. Sorry.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24280 on: July 16, 2012, 06:10:19 pm »

It's the legs. Too stumpy to mount voracious cave crawlers.

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24281 on: July 16, 2012, 06:49:49 pm »

I have created a new squad called "the four Urist's"  Consisting of four dwarves names Urist.

I plan to make these my only danger room trained dorf's and send them on suicide missions, then draw a webcomic about their efforts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24282 on: July 16, 2012, 07:27:39 pm »

I plan to make these my only danger room trained dorf's and send them on suicide missions, then draw a webcomic about their efforts.
ftfy

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24283 on: July 17, 2012, 12:04:26 am »

I've been building a corpse coaster for dumping bodies from the surface (where the enemies come in) to the magma flow. To do this, I carved out most of the track and built the cavern-space sections by making staircases down and then, working my way up, deconstructing the staircases and replacing them with ramps. This worked fine until the fortress's only child got in on the deconstructing. She wouldn't build the replacement ramp and the pathing ate any attempts to build in from above and let an adult take over, and creating alternate access was too much of a petty annoyance because it took me a while to figure out the least annoying way of building a free-standing ramp tunnel and I was rather fed up with the whole thing.

Luckily for me, her 13th birthday was in a couple of months, so I dumped a barrel of booze down the hole and decided to wait it out while I paid attention to other things.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #24284 on: July 17, 2012, 12:28:45 am »

The humans just brought me a (liquid Barrel (saguaro rib)).
Contents: (liquid [10])
This is a stack of 10 liquid.

Obviously I'm going to buy it, but what should I do with it then? Lock it & a Fish Dissector in a room together & see if she drinks it?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 1617 1618 [1619] 1620 1621 ... 3842