Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1543 1544 [1545] 1546 1547 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099843 times)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #23160 on: May 27, 2012, 09:19:34 am »

My attempts to get a minecart up a ramp continue to fail. :(
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23161 on: May 27, 2012, 10:44:53 am »

Apparently the elves have been busy in the history of the fort of Gearedsoldier. The general leading the humans is an elf. The general leading the dwarves is an elf too. And the queen of the elves is a drunk.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23162 on: May 27, 2012, 10:58:34 am »

A sylvan elf diplomat just arrived, spotted a kobold thief, and despite all odds (unarmed hippie vs dagger-wielding ninja), omgwtfpwned it. To elaborate: kick in the left lower arm shattering the bone. Wrestle lock on ankle and shattering it. Grabs and bends left upper arm, shattering the kobold's shoulder. He then proceeded to throw punches at the little thief's head, each and every one of them at least bruising a brain part (no instakill, Brainstem mod) and tearing apart the upper spine nervous tissue. And choking it with his other hand.

I think I'll agree to their wood demand this year.

The guy's name is Narena Acithifutace (Narena Gorgebucks). He may or may not be a shaved dwarf infiltrator  ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:01:17 am by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23163 on: May 27, 2012, 11:02:02 am »

While dragging a captured human across to his new sentry post, he accidentally fell asleep on top of a stone trap and got brained.

Ouch.

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23164 on: May 27, 2012, 11:05:28 am »

Encountered my first forgotten beast that was capable of spitting fire, a skinless alligator. The blimmin' thing sat in the water and launched a few flame balls into my markdwarves who were unable to return fire. Toasted three of them, a baby, a child, a cat and a chicken.

It was ultimately dispatched within three bolts, one scrambled the brain. Its fast approaching year three and i've only lost that lot and two others so I'm quite pleased

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23165 on: May 27, 2012, 11:17:50 am »

A firey forgotten beast set fire to everything in my fortress except half my food/booze stockpile .

Everything includes the forest outside.
Elf traders arrived just as this happened.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23166 on: May 27, 2012, 11:35:42 am »

Got some water spreading at RabbitHut so eventually I can make bigger farm plots.
I need bigger farm plots. Also need the Dwarven Traders to actually arrive ! (I hope ambushes aren't blocking them)

Anyway, we're almost ready to move everything to the first cavern layer. Hut is updated.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23167 on: May 27, 2012, 11:46:35 am »

A single greenskin hammerman took out 2 hunters and 3 of my soldiers, including an expert spearman. By himself, After his squad was decimated by a Cartcannon.  The hunters were more or less one at a time, but all 7 of the militia bum rushed him all at once, WITH covering fire from the walls and he still killed 3 of them with a copper maul.  He wasn't even his squad leader, though he was the last surviving member.

He finally took a sword hit to the upper arm from behind, and he's making for the map edge now, he seems to be outrunning my guys as well, even wounded.

Curse you, Kutsmob Hustlegates the Sword of Appearing!  Curse you!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23168 on: May 27, 2012, 11:52:16 am »

Another fiery forgotten beast has appeared, and got in a fight with some olm men. It dispatched a few of them before receiving a wooden spear to the head. Once the smokes cleared i may nip down and finish the job

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23169 on: May 27, 2012, 11:57:17 am »

Another fiery forgotten beast has appeared, and got in a fight with some olm men. It dispatched a few of them before receiving a wooden spear to the head. Once the smokes cleared i may nip down and finish the job

The survivors may be considered friendlies since the helpped defend the fortress. Just look at them as a sort of skirmisher security detail.

EDIT: I don't know what it is about this particular world, but the kids seem to be brought up via the spartan way save a few. They'll all make great soldiers in terms of brute strength, agility, recovery, will power, and other stats. And best of all, alot of the best candidates are only a year or two from adulthood.

A werebison elf attacked the settlement, killing one of the two legendary miners by biting off her leg. Unfortunatly, she was the lover of the other miner. However, he exacted terrible vengence when he threw away his pick (because it was inferior to the one his lover dropped quality-wise) and broke every limb before punching the poor sod to death. He's been pitching fits off and on ever since, including assaulting a solider. The Townwatch Commander simply ignored all of the people reporting his assault crimes as he attacked said lasher, two sheep, threw a table at someone and punched a clothier in the face.

I'm thinking the Townwatch Captain, between no restraints and the events that caused the mess, decided to give him a break. Afterall, the guy just watched his girlfriend get torn to shreds by a werebison.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23170 on: May 27, 2012, 01:42:41 pm »

Damn ring-obsessed jerk got re-elected as major, and of course decided to ban the export of rings right after a caravan left the depot- a caravan I sold 5 pages worth of bone crafts. Strangely, the number of guys with prison sentence < number of available jail cells, still, one guy was sentenced to beating and 2 to HAMMERING (3 strikes each, but still... rings are serious business)... the beaten guy got both lungs bruised and suffocated, and one hammered guy was brained so badly, even with brainstem mod he died before diagnosis. Justice has been done.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23171 on: May 27, 2012, 02:29:49 pm »

Fortress fell to greenskins.  Seems I jumped from lone ambushes of 5 or 6 to a full 80 man fully mounted siege in the space of a season.  Everyone near the lever to fire the cartcannon was on break, so a full squad got into the fortress before the thing finally fired.  Not that it would have done much against such a large army anyway.  I may need to refine the design to be semi automatic...maybe if I stacked the carts like an ammunition clip controlled by a hatch...

The military should have been able to handle them, but like my last post my military seems to insist on letting the opponent strike 6 or 7 times before they even attempt to fight back.  They were almost twice the skill level of those goblins and better protected, yet they got steamrolled by a goblin squad half their number.  I don't know how that happened. 

I sent in the fortress guard out of desperation and they did pretty good for awhile seeming to not have the rest of the military's you hit me first fetish, the guard captain alone getting 6 kills to his name snapping bones with his mace like toothpicks, but it was 4 vs about 60 and they eventually got run over as well.

Oh well, the minecarts I was using for their actual intended purpose could have been set up much more efficiently.  My second post .08 fort should do better.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23172 on: May 27, 2012, 02:45:41 pm »

I have two new miners and many more bouncing giddy childeren arrive in autumn, many 8 or older, and since I had prepared, everyone is safely in "The Hill" as I've taken to calling the settlement, save woodworkers choping trees, fishers getting fish, and the mayor and her two hunting buddies. The three of them seem to really enjoy taking pot shots at storks.

That little girl became a legal adult and was inducted into her squad on the 10th of Timber. her shortsword is waiting for her, as her squadmate is now the only one holding up activation, needing his scimitar. The rest are being slowly outfited, with greataxes of copper being made, mauls and flails of silver, and cheap copper armor being thrown together. That girl I'll be watching carefully, as she currently own the three best weapons we have. The others being a steel halberd a woodworker brought, and a steel pick a miner brought (This civ lacks iron so they're defaulted to steel in its place I guess.)

I've also found myself wanting to provoke kobold ambushes to give my soldiers some real fighting expeirience against some less mighty enemies, and DF hacked elves to send diplomats when, hopefully come next summer, we will be named a baron's fiefdom. Then we'll have tree humpers to kill as well.

EDIT: Winter comes with no dwarves. I know damn well they're alive, and I'm not too far from them. I was hoping to get all manner of exotic plants and mountain animals for those who developed a taste for dwarven cuisine. Weapons production is going slowly, so the cavern assault is postponed yet again. Going to repurpose my bowyers into masons and train any kids who grow up similarly, to secure a foothold in the caverns.

Beds and chains have been placed so now anyone who pitches a fit will get jailtime. Expanded the living quarters in the base of "The Hill" and I'm hoping goblin snatchers arrive to see if my dog-laden hallway will kill them.

Got growing herds of sheep and horses providing milk, cheese, and wool, so everything is moving nicely. Except weapon production.I need a dedicated weaponsmith....

EDIT II: Smelting underway, and I prepare for the settlement's ascension to barony. One of my wrestlers was killed in a sparring accident, further aplifying my need for basic head protection. Good thing I was beginning the process of making caskets for everyone, so Ala Xentathomo, wrestler/skirmisher, may join the gods in peace...

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23173 on: May 27, 2012, 05:02:59 pm »

Watchmines is now past its third year. Having expanded to the burgeoning population of 162 dwarves. The population are now pretty secure underground. With a militia armed with bismuth bronze armor and weapons plus some silver hammerers making the militia commander squads retinue. Plus the best of the forts crossbowdwarves have been set up in a squad. Having taken down 1 invasion and 3 ambushes in the last 2 years. Plus 2 kobold thieves mown down from pin-point  accurate shooting.

Two quite useful artifacts made so far. One is a pond turtle shell cage. The other a basalt cabinet inset with Obsidian. Which I am keeping handy for when the king arrives. Otherwise there has only been 3 casualties that were fatal. From when a dwarven caravan got attacked by an ambush. Work has started on a catacomb level deep inside the volcano to house the current and future dead of the fort. Adding to the sprawls of workshops, warehouses and feast halls and fields.

Elven traders sold me a breeding pair of cougars. I have also caught 1 black bear so far. Also the elves brought sunshine berries. Which I promptly distilled and started planting the resulting seeds. The fort now makes a huge profit trading obsidian pots filled with sunshine brew. Along with a reserve stock kept to keep morale up in the fort alongside the lavish meals everyone gets.

Conditions-wise barracks/spare hospital beds wont cut it soon. Planning the zoning of residential layers and offices soon. So far the only weapons grade metal found is copper. But with regular imports of steel, cassiterite and bismuth. Equipping more soldiers shouldn't be a problem for the foreseeable future.

Otherwise the militia practice hard whilst future expansion is being prepared for. A Minotaur tried attacking but was able to bait it into a cage. keeping that handy for when I get a fighting pit completed.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:08:41 pm by Lexx »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23174 on: May 27, 2012, 05:19:14 pm »

the remaining squads are being posted below ground near the future cavern breach will be. Using reveal, I found a hostile tribe of rodentmen and another hostile tribe of antmen, whom I may try to  bait into the garrison so that my soldiers will become blooded, and hence become true warriors.

All goes well so far, and I've become worried. Oh, and a five year old made a fancy dactite braclet. I'm worried as many engravings and artifacts depict the same bronze colussus. And since I don't have anyone with weapons better than bronze except that girl who just grew up and a couple workers who brought steel implements, that will be a slight problem.
Pages: 1 ... 1543 1544 [1545] 1546 1547 ... 3842