Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1537 1538 [1539] 1540 1541 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099303 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #23070 on: May 23, 2012, 10:15:21 pm »

The fort of Memadamost, or "Reinedtown" has suffered its first dwarf casualty. A dwarf was deconstructing part of a fortification above the main entryway. An unlucky mason was under the fortification as the block fell... was struck in the left leg, knocked unconscious, and happened to be standing on a few masterwork large serrated copper disks...

His parts are now being scraped off the walls and floor of the new barracks.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23071 on: May 23, 2012, 10:16:16 pm »

...That was actually lol-worthy.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23072 on: May 24, 2012, 06:58:03 am »

*clap clap clap*

awesome my good sir!
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #23073 on: May 24, 2012, 07:59:26 am »

After several failure, my latest fort seems to be catching.  Maybe it will survive until LFR's next update.

First threat we face is a werelizard.  It rips a yak to shreds while I set up my defenses for the first time.  It then moves on to a sheep, quickly removing its nose and tearing open a couple other severe wounds.  Just as it appears to be the end for this poor sheep, something unexpected happens.  A cave swallow man appears out of nowhere, and kills the werelizard in one punch.  This happened on the surface, and I haven't even opened up the caverns yet.  WTF?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23074 on: May 24, 2012, 09:01:28 am »

Decided to try out playing as humans. I dunno if I bonded with the matrix or what, but before spring ended I had up and running with seven humans

Basic milita armed with bronze halberds
A fledgling metal industry using embark bronze bars and copper/silver/gold found onsite while digging the crypt for the miltia
A small farm
All my usual food processing buildings
A barracks
A meager dormitory/eating area (has since been moved deeper into a hillside with a much bigger room)
A well drinks (Wanted it ready in case the halberdiers had to deal with anything and got hurt)
An artificial pond (had to drain the farm)
A wood/bone crafting and wool industry (humans are fond of making things menace with spikes of shell)
Gme cutting and encrusting (a recently arrived jewler blinged the hell out of a right  shoe)

All this was done by 23rd Felsite.

Also I have observed the following:
Humans seem to train much more agressivly than dwarves do, opting to skip basic training and go right to sparring. All pre-trained migrants show these same tendencies, even if they only had novice dodger and fighter. They skip all training and go right to sparring. I have completly raw squad I'm going to activate and see if they exhibit this tendency as well.
Humans become attached to weapons much quicker than dwarves do, which is actually kinda suprising.
Humans like to fuck. Got one family of 7 show up (married couple, thier adult son who was a fish dissector and trained lasher, and thier 6 younger kids, one of who is physically perfect for military service.) and a family of 8 (married couple around thier thirties, two adult childeren, both drafted as theyw ere a swordsman and hammerman respectivly, and 4 young ones, in decreasing age from 6 to 2.)
Humans seem to be less efficent at farming, even with seeds available and multiple planters, but quite quick with a pick or woodsman's axe, as well as being rather quick at tanning even with no skill in it.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23075 on: May 24, 2012, 09:08:47 am »

I REALLY need to train my military better... Any tips that aren't danger rooms?

Use multiple squads of 2-3 dwarves only.  Make sure each squad is using the same weapon type (all swords, or all axes, or all hammers, whatever).  This way demonstrations will be of the correct type for the observers (no speardwarves picking up a few tips they'll never use about smashing heads with a hammer), and much of the training will be in the form of 1v1 sparring, which seems to be the fastest way to improve in training.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23076 on: May 24, 2012, 10:28:13 am »

Chaospage has been in continual tantrum spiral after the ...incident with the Goblin Mace Lord.
It remains to be seen if I can get the hairy buggers to calm down before they murder the shit out of each other...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23077 on: May 24, 2012, 10:30:05 am »

does anyone have issues with chicken since the minecart update? i have a imported save and it seems that since the update my breeding batteries don't work anymore. nestboxes are claimed by hens, roosters are on the map (in a cage) but i get no chicks in years...
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23078 on: May 24, 2012, 10:58:04 am »

I REALLY need to train my military better... Any tips that aren't danger rooms?

Use multiple squads of 2-3 dwarves only.  Make sure each squad is using the same weapon type (all swords, or all axes, or all hammers, whatever).  This way demonstrations will be of the correct type for the observers (no speardwarves picking up a few tips they'll never use about smashing heads with a hammer), and much of the training will be in the form of 1v1 sparring, which seems to be the fastest way to improve in training.

That's what I've been doing. I had 4 squads of 2. Two squads of axe, two of spear. They didn't seem to skill up very quickly, but they WERE training in some way. I'll have to fix their numbers though because they got... trimmed a bit in a goblin ambush and then the FB attack a month later. I commissioned a full set of gear for 10 Dorfs, so I better get drafting once those go through.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23079 on: May 24, 2012, 12:00:33 pm »

does anyone have issues with chicken since the minecart update? i have a imported save and it seems that since the update my breeding batteries don't work anymore. nestboxes are claimed by hens, roosters are on the map (in a cage) but i get no chicks in years...

I haven't had any problems with egglayers... quantum cage has almost 150 hatchlings in it. Are you sure your dwarves aren't harvesting the eggs?

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23080 on: May 24, 2012, 02:19:22 pm »

I haven't had any problems with egglayers... quantum cage has almost 150 hatchlings in it. Are you sure your dwarves aren't harvesting the eggs?

positive. the doors are locked all the time.

another thing: has anyone yet try to power a roller from above or below with a gear assembly?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:26:07 pm by nopil3os »
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23081 on: May 24, 2012, 02:41:00 pm »

The fortress of freezetundra is going well i have warded of attacks form beackwolves and dark stranglers and just captured a Female Voracious Cave Crawler! Now i just need a male and ill be set! Also 42 dwarfs in a meeting hall made for 10 makes freinds fast.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23082 on: May 24, 2012, 03:10:39 pm »

I'm up to ten casualties in the military. For having beaten the first wave of HFS, that's not too bad.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23083 on: May 24, 2012, 03:30:14 pm »

I'm up to ten casualties in the military. For having beaten the first wave of HFS, that's not too bad.

That's amazing actually.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23084 on: May 24, 2012, 03:45:23 pm »

That's amazing actually.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:48:26 pm by Callista »
Pages: 1 ... 1537 1538 [1539] 1540 1541 ... 3842