Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1532 1533 [1534] 1535 1536 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098704 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22995 on: May 19, 2012, 11:41:58 pm »

Speaking of kobolds, seems they are finding their way into my fortress past the gineahen guard.  I wish they would stop.  If they get spotted outside the gate they usually survive and get away.  When they get caught inside the gate, and trust me they DO get caught, they get chopped into a thousand pieces. 

I dislike that happening, I have a soft spot for the little buggers...that and their cleanup to useable metal ratio is too low to be worth it, and they cause work stoppages when they are spotted inside the fortress.

Splint, tell your kobolds to keep out, us big lizards don't have anything within grabbing range, and we have big mean teeth.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22996 on: May 20, 2012, 02:03:43 am »

More goblin ambushes; hordes of lashers (Are whips still murderising weapons of doom in this version?) and spear goblins decided to tangle with the badass caravan guards. Turns out there's a reason why those dwarves were hired as guards. Three dwarves vs. twenty goblins, not a single Dwarven death.

Not that they were guarding anything particularly useful, mind you. I need more haulers; there's still crap in the depot from the last caravan.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22997 on: May 20, 2012, 02:29:31 am »

Razorwheel sort of stagnated to all Hell after the latest forgotten beast killed off a lot of the inhabitants and the rest, of course, went into fits over all the death and miasma.

So I finally got into V .34.09 (skipped .08 entirely) and tried a couple of haunted embarks, only for the undead wildlife to hand my ass to me in literal minutes. Once my exp leader got torn to shreds by a hoary marmot corpse. A. Fucking. Hoary. Marmot. Corpse.  >:(
On the positive side, I noticed Sir Newton has made a return to combat mechanics; my camel kicked a weasel corpse with enough force to propel it away and cause some skidding damage.

Now going for a slightly less immediately fatal embark. This one has a waterfall, though, so some losses are to be expected... Building a bridge over the rim of the waterfall should minimize unnecessary casualties. A stray cat was already killed by pathing stupidity though. :-\

Also, this just in: fish still pretty hardcore. That poor mongoose...   :o
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and got migrants, too: three farmers, five children. Seriously, what the shit?  >:(
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 02:46:33 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22998 on: May 20, 2012, 02:31:17 am »

Dear Armok. evil fish.

daneel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22999 on: May 20, 2012, 06:05:49 am »

I just finished casting my 50x50x14 ziggurat and set up a lever to collapse all the supporting scaffolding. One section of this went through my manager's office and dragged him and the outpost liaison into the magma forge pool. The magma there is now flooding the stone quarries of my fort, thankfully the quantity in the pool was limited. One furnace operator and a mason who went berserk also died.

So far, they are the only ones to die despite numerous marksgoblin attacks against the project. The 3-4 children who decided to stand on bridges high up in the air that their parents were deconstructing do not count.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23000 on: May 20, 2012, 06:10:08 am »

I'm currently plotting out my Temple of Armok... So far, from what I can see it's either going to be about 60 Z-levels high (20-odd above ground, rest below) or my madness will end and I'll remember that the very idea is preposterously ridiculous.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23001 on: May 20, 2012, 09:04:42 am »

Is there a lycanthrope science thread hanging around anywhere? My search fu has yielded no results :x

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #23002 on: May 20, 2012, 10:58:58 am »

I'm trying to organize a fort and I soon find that my militia commander drops his equipment, and I forgot how to turn the off-duty uniforms on.

Under military (m) select squad then (s) for schedule and check (u) for Inactive : Uniformed or civvies. Pick Uniformed.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

newbonomicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23003 on: May 20, 2012, 02:03:56 pm »

I'm currently plotting out my Temple of Armok... So far, from what I can see it's either going to be about 60 Z-levels high (20-odd above ground, rest below) or my madness will end and I'll remember that the very idea is preposterously ridiculous.

Don't be silly. The madness will only end when you have finished your creation.

It is the Dwarven Way.

TxJBxT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23004 on: May 20, 2012, 03:03:04 pm »

Currently trying to domesticate dragons.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #23005 on: May 20, 2012, 03:16:16 pm »

I wake up in the morning and realize "Oh yeah, I destroyed my fort last night."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23006 on: May 20, 2012, 03:35:44 pm »

Splint, tell your kobolds to keep out, us big lizards don't have anything within grabbing range, and we have big mean teeth.

I'll have you know my kobolds are busy avenging a fallen wood cutter! Stupid crow men think they can pick on them and thier livestock just because they're bigger.... Well 4 kobolds just slaughtered your whole tribe! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

newbonomicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23007 on: May 20, 2012, 04:06:31 pm »

THE CHRONICLES OF FIRSTFORTUNE, Pt. I

Kulet Eribkon, queen of the Sack of Corridors, decreed in 1050 that a new settlement was to be founded. Our party of seven, dubbed "the Trade of Dominions", arrived in our new home on the first of Granite in 1051. It was a peaceful place, full of beauty, and we couldn't wait to start exploiting it. We called the place "Firstfortune", and knew it was destined for greatness.

In retrospect, that was a pretty bad call right there.

The first thing we did was take the wheels off the wagon. The second thing we noticed was that we had parked on top of the frozen river. I know, we dropped the ball there, but in our defense, there was snow everywhere. We couldn't tell at first. Happily, with a little effort, we took apart the wagon and laid everything out on solid ground with time to spare before the thaw. Cerol, Tobul, Lokum, Lor, and I took care of that while Feb took to chopping wood, and Obok went hunting. Once it was done, and the spring thaw came around, we decided to build a bridge across it. It was during the bridge's construction that we realized it had been a week since anyone had seen Obok. I don't remember who found the poor bastard, but it turns out he'd drowned in the thaw. Cerol, Feb, and Lor took it hard. I was just ticked we'd lost a perfectly good crossbow.

Cerol and Tobul are our miners, so we're relying on them to dig out our lodgings. In the meanwhile, we all hope the Crow Women leave us be. By Armok, I still can't believe I'm in charge of this hellhole.

--Mebzuth Swordtrammeled, expedition leader
   9th Felsite, 1051

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23008 on: May 20, 2012, 04:11:34 pm »

Turns out people and creatures get flung over fortifications now, even if there's a floor above the fortification.
I learned tyhis the hard way when a bridge-a-pult flung a goblin mace lord into my battlement. The results were ...less than pretty.  :-\

What I really like in the new version is dwarves hauling those X:s and Ö:s (bins and wheelbarrows) and cleaning up all the clutter like anybody's business.
Also, caught me a live pair of dingo. How do I bred beasts?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23009 on: May 20, 2012, 04:13:10 pm »

Tame, set in a pasture, preferably walled/fenced in with a door only dorfs can path through just in case. They shoudl produce a group of pups at the momma's taming level, and when tamed themselves shoud become domestics for your civ after a while.
Pages: 1 ... 1532 1533 [1534] 1535 1536 ... 3842