Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1529 1530 [1531] 1532 1533 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098733 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22950 on: May 17, 2012, 10:24:56 pm »

I'm nearing the completion of my water tower. The legs are two z-levels tall, then on top of that is a 5󬊄 tank (interior size) that also includes a minecart dunker (including underwater rollers) and three wells.

"Why a water tower?" you might ask. "A cistern is way easier for pretty much similar results," you might add, "and the effort of getting some of the water up a couple z-levels from a cistern is way less than the effort of getting all the water up six z-levels."

"Because screw you," I would respond. "I'm a dwarf."

edit: there are fish in this water tower
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:58:15 pm by penguinofhonor »
« Reply #22951 on: May 17, 2012, 10:58:41 pm »

I'm nearing the completion of my water tower. The legs are two z-levels tall, then on top of that is a 5󬊄 tank (interior size) that also includes a minecart dunker (including underwater rollers) and three wells.

"Why a water tower?" you might ask. "A cistern is way easier for pretty much similar results," you might add, "and the effort of getting some of the water up a couple z-levels from a cistern is way less than the effort of getting all the water up six z-levels."

"Because screw you," I would respond. "I'm a dwarf."

Actually, a water tower is a great idea. You only need to pump it up from a river on the surface a few levels, then you can use a floodgate and let gravity do the rest.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22952 on: May 17, 2012, 11:01:23 pm »

Spears are ridiculous against dragons. My best speardwarf just killed his second dragon uninjured.

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22953 on: May 17, 2012, 11:37:50 pm »

Got one big ambush and a small siege. Managed to drive both off. My melee squad is now strong enough to actually take on a squad of goblins. I decide to finally start the archer squad and lo-and behold, they are not training (I thought that got fixed). One might train now and then but for the most part, no training.

Second siege (third attack) came (this one was big, with 2 large squads, both mounted) and, of course, my archers decided that bolts are too mainstream (I thought they fixed that too..Have quivers and all) so they just run in up the enemy and bash them around. 7/10 of them die pretty fast. My melee squad does better and only 5/10 die, and I noticed some of them were using training weapons -_-. I was also lucky/unlucky because while that was happening, the caravan came! One of the enemy squads went for the caravan, thus separating them so I only had to take one at a time and the caravan guards managed to weaken them.

The caravan gets destroyed and the liaison dead but the siege is off. No large tantrum this time (unlike the first 2 times). I check why and I see some of my dwarves got the thought "getting used to tragedy".
Awesome! You better, because more is coming.
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22954 on: May 18, 2012, 12:25:56 am »

BUILD ALL THE MINECART UNDUMPS

what do you mean i only have seven dwarves to work with

they don't really need sleep, do they?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22955 on: May 18, 2012, 12:32:14 am »

Plan went screwy, and Arel attacked first. Casualty was one swordsdorf who was kicked in the head and died from spinal tissue injuries. Cim shoed up after Arel, and promptly exploded himself, leaving bits of mud body parts and gem eyes. Arel was chopped up quickly and will fuel my crafts industry for weeks. Migrants arrived, among them a swordsdorf, so the was resolved quickly.

Kallemort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22956 on: May 18, 2012, 02:53:52 am »

Started a new fort. Noticed my civilization provided tame gremlins for one embark point each. Bought twenty.

They all start as competent ambushers and one just became a hunter. This is so cool.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22957 on: May 18, 2012, 04:27:09 am »

I decide to finally start the archer squad and lo-and behold, they are not training (I thought that got fixed).

I don't even bother anymore with training, as shooting live targets is far more rewarding for experience.
Goblin with a shield can last 1-2 weeks against bone bolts, more if he is "lucky".
Lacking quality targets (shielded goblins), chickens are a nice quantity replacement.

Started a new fort. Noticed my civilization provided tame gremlins for one embark point each. Bought twenty.

They all start as competent ambushers and one just became a hunter. This is so cool.

That sounds interesting, I forgot dwarf civs can now have different domestic animals.
If I am not mistaken, gremlin children take 12 years to mature, but that can be lowered in the raws
in order to create a easily replenishable meat shield army.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22958 on: May 18, 2012, 07:15:58 am »

Stagnant water bug has made all the water in the first cavern level stagnant :/

In other news, this fort is moving along pretty sedately. Everyone's cleaning up the goblinite and haemogoblin left from the last siege.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
« Reply #22959 on: May 18, 2012, 08:10:52 am »

Feverishly working on getting a rail system going to supply my magma forges and bring in finished metal goods back up to the main stockpiles.

This is mostly for speed, as the distance beween the forges and the main fort are so long, some of my dwarves have started dying of thirst/hunger on the way to and from the magma forges.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22960 on: May 18, 2012, 08:41:02 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
#

Awesome!!!!!!!!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22961 on: May 18, 2012, 12:33:00 pm »

Inspired by my drop-a-puppy system, I moved on to build a garbage chute of epic proportions, going all the way from the first subterranean layer into the magma sea and SMR below. Should expedite getting rid of unwanted clutter...

I also feel tempted to start caging goblins just so I can plunge them a hundred levels into the magma... >:D

Also, I've managed to mine a bunch of the teal stuff and turn it into armour. Trying not to reveal the Hidden ‼Fun‼ while hoarding as much candy as possible is somewhat reminiscent of playing mine sweeper.

Actually,m I'm kind of ambivalent what I should do with Razorwheel now that everything's running nice and smooth (albeit at ~8 FPS). It's still in V .34.07, and I'm somewhat hesitant to upgrade it to the current version.

Maybe I should leave it as it is, as a potential platform for some deranged megaproject later on, and move on to the wonderful world of mine carts?  :-\
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22962 on: May 18, 2012, 03:16:18 pm »

I love having so many blocks!  I'm building an above-ground barracks around my entrance out of cobaltite.  However, I may have to move it all later, since I've decided I want most - if not all - of my dwarfs to live in the caverns.  I'm doing a religious segregation thing in my fort, so I might just make it non-believers that are exiled down there.  On the other hand, it looks kind of beautiful, so maybe it can be the promised land for the faithful.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22963 on: May 18, 2012, 03:27:13 pm »

Been landscaping.

Just now got a mayor, despite having over 100 dwarves. (Wtf?)

Building out the mansions and cloth production areas.

The ultimate goal on this fortress is to have "terra cotta warriors":

I will mass produce stone statues, and use them to create a huge embark-wide maze that is exactly 3 tiles wide for the pathways.  Stone block roads, and bridges will ensure pathing occurs the way I want it to, and pressure plates will ensure epic fun!

Still nebulous as a concept, is the idea of adding windmill towers to power 3 minecart tracks that navigate the maze, so I can release the "cleaners" when goblins show up.

The embark is amazingly flat, and the parts that aren't are easily terraced, (which is mostly done now too) so my diabolical plans should work nicely.

The only problem will be fliers.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22964 on: May 18, 2012, 03:33:10 pm »

The aquifer at Carnaltool has been pierced, at last, and work begins on finding a reliable source of fuel (ie. magma) for my smithing and glassmaking industries.

Unfortunately my staircase has been dug directly intersecting not one but two (so far) cavern lakes.

Not to be deterred, I've continued the aquifer-draining pump system down into the caverns to begin the process of building a safe path through to the magma in a straight shaft all the way down. (Having said that I'll probably have missed the magma sea by a clear mile...)

During the process of building the initial walls in the second lake, I get a notification that my mayor's mandate has ended. Since his last mandate prohibited the export of shields, I figure it's just that he's now rescinded that. Then I see the corpse in the lake and think "Well, the dwarves probably don't really need to know that he's dead, right?" and queue up a slab for him.
Pages: 1 ... 1529 1530 [1531] 1532 1533 ... 3842