Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1527 1528 [1529] 1530 1531 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098713 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22920 on: May 16, 2012, 10:01:59 pm »

Another trog tribe showed up, and as they're interferring with my hunter's elkbird hunting, I've decided they must be dealt with.

The squad, Fortress of Assembeling, are deploying now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22921 on: May 16, 2012, 10:29:49 pm »

Oh dear Armok! I looked away for but a moment and suddenly that goblin siege and associated trolls are having a disco ball in my dining room! Looks like they took a shortcut across a pond when the

I have a grand total of 12 dwarves left, 3 of which are children, another four are in the hospital/barracks, only one is a recruit, and 2 are currently being mauled by goblin macemen. Of the two remaining, one is a weaponsmith on a crutch that barely survived a dragonman ambush and the other is the vampire I locked away in her own little world. Who is STILL fucking ecstatic, by the way.

Through some unknown sorcery the goblins have managed to prop a door to the dining hall open with a boulder, and that weaponsmith decided his best option is to go pickup some clothes for himself. I've released the animals from their pastures adn am admiring the dragons' skill in torching as many turkey hens as goblins.

My only regret is taht I didn't get to watch the fireworks, only the smoke puffs drifting away...

That vampire has a lot of slab-engraving to do, for sure!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:39:38 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22922 on: May 16, 2012, 10:41:27 pm »

trogs were exterminated with extrem prejedice. two dwarves officially became swordsdwarves, leaving two to become such themselves. Clearly I need more trogs to kill.

A hunter has been single handedly supplying my trade industry with bones, and he just bagged a cave croc with only 4 bolts! As I managed to secure the magma pool, I'm going to strategically floor over segments and build the forges, as I used the last of my fuel to make a 1 steel and 2 bronze mail shirts and a copper helmet. oh, and this area also bears a small pond of sorts, so I can set up a hospital down below.

I eagerly await the elves, whom I hope will bring me a male elephant so I can begin expanding my fighting beasts, once I figure out a place to train them. But brewables, drink, and cloth will be appreciated too, as I need it for dressings and sutures.

Also going to use wood to make my dining room, even though it's year three. Also need more beds and quarters... Clothes for last year's births who should be close to proper childhoodhood now. Only 3 too! Can you believe it? Also, there's silk in abundance since I'm keeping the cats in the food piles, so clothing isn't an issue, although having leather to help supplement this is helping. I haven't had this much fun or !!FUN!! in some time.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22923 on: May 16, 2012, 11:00:19 pm »

I just set up my first minecart track in my existing save from .05 or so.

The first dwarf born in my fort just grew to be an adult.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22924 on: May 16, 2012, 11:13:48 pm »

The last six or so goblins slunk away into the forests after being torched by the dragons, leaving a squad of trolls to torture me with a big red and yellow SIEGE sign on the screen.

I have a grand total of six dwarves left, including the three children, Cog the weaponsmith, the vampire - who is now the mayor and demands warhammers! good thing the weaponsmith is alive! - and one injured dwarf who is about to starve to death.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:16:54 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22925 on: May 16, 2012, 11:14:34 pm »

A troll is in the layer of the magma pool. Managed to get the lever to the web access bridge pulled, and a draltha is torn between curiosity and fear of being captured, and is linger ing just outside the camp. Finally going to be able to move the food shops downstairs, and furniture is being made to make a nice dining hall.

Put in a work order for 80 stone blocks so i can floor over the pool and build the forges, and got a well set up. I gotta say, the hauling system, while clunky for farming, is quite practical for a meat industry. Every kill was brought back, chgopped up, the hide butured, and the meat stashed by three haulers at the most carrying the pots or barrels. More beds were also made, meaning more rooms must be made. And two miners immigrated here, so that's helped alot.

A recruit has become a good and proper soldier, leaving one left. Might have the lot of'em hunt down that troll if it hangs around long enough.

EDIT: Elves arrived with all kinds of smaller critters, brewables, and drinks. Oh, and

The Forgotten beast Mapa Wamifivi has come! A great hairy slug, it has wings of thin stretched skin and belches and croaks! Its pale chestnut hair is very curly. Beware its deadly blood!

Sazir the furnace operator and his largly green squad have met the beast, and rendered it flightless by slicing its wings to ribbons. Here's hoping that its blood isn't really that deadly, I've grown awfully attached to Sazir.

EDIT II: He seems to have contracted some kind of rot. Going to need to make some soap and set up an emergency surgery center quickly. And that poor bastard never had a chance. Between a frothing raging dorf and a tiny swarm of swordsdwarves, it was beaten to death when a kick from a rookie swordrunt bruised its brain. And not skipping a beat, someone ran right over and has begun chopping it up.

And now he's being tanned. I am going to save that leather for a legendary leatherworker, because that will make one bitchin' coat for the one who killed it.

EDIT III: Now a fancy mudman that breaths poinous vapors is here. milling around because he can't path to the fortress proer thanks to my earlier closing of the silk bridge. Should I deploy Sazir and his troops?

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22926 on: May 17, 2012, 05:18:28 am »

New fortress in a new generated world in 34.08., so far hauling is nice, though it's a bit 'odd' that they use only the 3 wheelbarrows and nothing else if you assign three, so 20 others are idle that could haul the stuff in a quarter of the time, at minimum! But hey, that's only minor.

Now to the real thing: Dug the occasional 3x3 stairs straight down, hit all three caverns, walled the stairs off with the nice new and shiny blocks of shale and orthoclase, closed them completely 1 story high above ground. Troglodytes around, some blind cave ogres, all looking at my walls and moving along, since there's nothing to eat there. (Military snacks soon to be eaten)

After a while, above ground has been walled in too already, traps set, trade depot secured with a few bridges ... suddenly a lot of red text, 'cancels store item in stockpile, interrupted by cave crocodile' ... WTF? Oh hell, a cave croc in the sleeping area, how the <censored> did this one come to that place? Double checking all the accesspoints, nothing open, except for 'flying' beasts. But the occasional cave bat isn't such a big issue.

So, the cave croc causes a lot of havoc, my hunters are already there, shooting it with bone bolts and those they brought with them, the croc is completely red, everything damaged what can be damaged, but it won't die. One of the hunters goes to sleep, right in front of the crocodile and is being eaten. Seems like he's the best candidate for the next Darwin Award. I still don't know where the croc came from, but finally, another hunter makes a golden shot into the throat of the crocodile, opening an artery, killing the crocodile.

Conclusion: Wall off everything completely, not only the base level, seems like there are flying crocodiles. And, install some traps near the stairs.

Losses: 3 dorfs. One of them went to sleep in front of the crocodile, the other two were trying to get 2 boulders behind the crocodile, didn't forbid them fast enough, my fault.

Partial losses: one dorf lost his left lower arm, another one his left hand. Seems like these have been 'walk-by-bite-offs' -> "I need to get to my bed NOW, ignore that crocodile!"

Positive aspect: cave crocodile meat for breakfast.

Time to install my hospital, everything is ready so far, except the area assigned ...

edit: the occasional typos
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:24:22 am by terko »
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22927 on: May 17, 2012, 05:31:31 am »

The tiger, badger boar, and pair of elephants are earning thier keep. A hammer squad led by a pikeman ran right into the critters, and the first elephant, known to the goblins now as "Uknaza" tackled the squad leader into a wall, crushed hios hand, and gored him in the head. All the rest are at best causing minor to heavy bruising, and otherwise just flat pissing off the animals. Sword squad is being dispatched to mop up the survivors, if the elephants leave them any to kill.

For once, I am glad I traded with the elves. I hope they bring me a male elephant next year!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22928 on: May 17, 2012, 05:56:53 am »

I decided to try to pierce an aquifer for the very first time.  Never done it before.

All my miners got drowned or squished.  My anvil and all my picks are underwater or smashed.  Hanging out on the surface, making stuff out of wood and bone until a caravan or migrant miner comes along.  Never had such a large portion of my population hunting before.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22929 on: May 17, 2012, 06:08:32 am »

Welp, they all died. All four critters. But they left one squadleader dead, two grunts dead, 3 with broken legs, and one with a smashed skull (The tiger knocked him down and bit, but it wasn't fatal so I suspect it was head together by his helmet.)

Nish the swordsdwarf arrived first, and after getting tackled, went into a trance. Until she got her shin broken she'd effectibly blendered the majority of the survivors, stabbing a hole in one's head who'd passed out, decapitating one of the uninjured one's, severing a foot, loopping off two left hands, and shattering a thigh bone.

The Savir arrived, and smashed a hammergob's brains in. andother sworddorf arrived and decapitated another, and the pair gave chase to one feebly attempting to crall away with on leg.

She didn't make it far.

Thus our first ambush was survived! I hope the elves bring more animals. Also, Nish is actually recieving prompt treatment, sutures, a splint, and all that. She will live!  :D

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22930 on: May 17, 2012, 07:26:34 am »

Got the worst Forgotten Beast so far; a giant rhino with webs. Damn thing OHKO'd quite a few of my best militia before a lucky crossbow bolt caused it to trip over. After that, it was zerg rushed by meleedwarves and finally died to another lucky bolt through the brain pan.

Oh, and it's raining explosive puppies in my dining hall.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22931 on: May 17, 2012, 09:27:15 am »

Doorlongs is still going, it's population still above 100, despite the rather frequent berserk rages and death by dehydration ( and insanity ).  I've hobbled together a "militia".  These guys are just recruits really, there's like ten of them in a squad, they won't train fast, if at all.  They're mostly just guards, not a real military force.  I intend to give them copper spears ( best stabby metal I have ) to make them a bit better at their jobs.  Unfortunately, quite a few of them are unhappy, and if they go berserk, with weapons, that might be the end of my fort.

But hey, the siege left ( for some reason ) and I'm still getting migrants, so all in all, despite the fact that my workshops are getting destroyed due to tantrums, everything seems stable.  For now. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22932 on: May 17, 2012, 09:47:32 am »

Oh, and it's raining explosive puppies in my dining hall.
Evil rain: puppies?
If puppies land on dwarves do the dwarves get hurt in this new version?
Do the puppies still explode?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22933 on: May 17, 2012, 09:49:07 am »

yes, puppies landing on dwarfs may hurt the dwarf and also injure the puppie. before neither got hurt
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22934 on: May 17, 2012, 11:09:08 am »

New Version; New Fort; New Ideas; Same problems as usual.

Okay not exactly the same problems as usual. Normally my dwarf would die of living enemies. But i guess minecarts are fine for killing these little fellows, too. At least he made a big nice pile of gore.

Pages: 1 ... 1527 1528 [1529] 1530 1531 ... 3842