Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1521 1522 [1523] 1524 1525 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099655 times)

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22830 on: May 14, 2012, 01:44:48 pm »

Finally, some excitement!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #22831 on: May 14, 2012, 02:08:37 pm »

Channeledice went dead, or rather, undead.  I decided I'd build a 37-pump stack to carry water from my first cavern to my fort proper, which is where I was establishing a hospital in prep for beginning military training.  I spent so much time concentrating on it that I failed to notice a caged stray donkey had somehow gotten into my primary stockpile depot.  It died, came back to life (outside its cage!), and proceeded to charge down into my main shaft into the heart of my fortress.  After half a dozen deaths, absolute panic, the collapse of my incomplete pump stack, and general shenanigans, I ended up calling it, especially with a new version to play with.

Lessons learned:
1. Compartmentalization and decentralization.  To date, all of my forts have been focused around a single shaft, which might at the most shift slightly based on geographic features like aquifers or caverns (weird past fort: sinking the main shaft right on the boundary between two biomes, which I wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't had two different aquifer depths).  There is no way to seal the main shaft once an enemy gets inside of it, nor is there any alternate means of vertical movement.  Next fort, I think I'll sink satellite shafts and living areas, and set up some way to compartmentalize my entire fort if need be.  Or at least set up traps in all the corridors.

2. Pump stacks.  Never wire up an incomplete pump stack and turn on the power, even if the actual connecting gears to the stack in question are shut off by a lever.  I did this, connecting it to my dwarven Heavy Pressurized Water Reactor (not to be confused with a Pressurized Heavy Water Reactor), and the game processed the pump stack (even though it was unpowered - I saw the static axles), realized there was nothing holding up any of the completed individual pumps save for wishes and dreams, and promptly deconstructed the entire thing. 

3. Undead don't die in magma if they're in a cage.  They just burn, stinking up my fort. *sigh* The cage wasn't even magma-safe (copper).  At least I found that out before creating a magma flood trap. 

4. Undead parts, even stripped to bones, will still revive.  Yeti right hand bone, locked in my refuse dump,goes on a rampage of one, stopped only by the humble cage traps I set up outside the double-doors.  <_<

5. Strange mood dwarves are even more suicidal than normal dwarves, if that's possible.  I lost my second-best mason that way, and had to lock both the mason and zombie (and mason zombie) in one of my masonry workshops.  I guess the possessing spirit just really wanted company.

6. When you set up a double-hatch airlock entrance, always keep at least one door closed.  I literally had a zombie right outside the bridge that served as an inner hatch by the time I managed to get it shut.  On that note, zombies that get flipped by bridges are not stunned, making atom-crushing on the fly a little trickier. 

7. Liaisons can really *run* when they're chased by angry undead yetis.  Just goes to show how motivation is key.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22832 on: May 14, 2012, 02:10:35 pm »

Iron.

There is so much iron.

The hoomans keep giving me iron.

So much iron.

DarkDorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22833 on: May 14, 2012, 02:39:37 pm »

Embarked on  50/50 joyous wilds/terrifying biome, setting up camp on the "good" side, while my one man militia is fending of undead jackals a the other side. Oh yeah, and it's raining beer...
no sigs *yet*

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22834 on: May 14, 2012, 04:36:42 pm »

After some fiddly engraving, my minecart track works!  A dwarf guided it down safely and it is being slowly unloaded of its rock burden.  Now I've set it to ride, I'll have to watch the next few rides and make sure that the stops are working and it doesn't fly off the tracks or something without dwarf guidance.

In other news, four kobolds appeared at once.  My woodcutter took care of two, but the remaining two managed to break her feet before running away.  She crawled to an unused bed, unfortunately not in the hospital, to rest, so my medic was ignoring her.  I deconstructed the bed in hopes she would find a new one, but no, she decided it was an excellent time to go on break.  So now she's sitting in an empty bedroom nook flashing complaints about her broken feet, but since the "On Break" is preventing her from seeking medical treatment she's just sitting there.  Dumbass.

Autumn has come, yay!

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22835 on: May 14, 2012, 05:47:25 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut

17) Cuttin the Cows
18) Extrememe Pain is better than Death

Bad: There are Giant Kea flying around

Good: They are alive and not undead.

Bad: We have 20 migrants

Good: A Nefarious Soot cloud poses no threat to the migrants.

Bad: A kobold corpse escapes, and breaks an AxeDwarf's skull before being put down.

Good: The dwarf lives with a broken skull, and my doctor will get some medical practice.
Hopefully he doesn't decide to amputate...

So I guess we break-even in the still-34.07 RabbitHut.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22836 on: May 14, 2012, 05:52:41 pm »

Your Dwarf survived a broken skull.

Headaaaaaaaaaaaaches

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22837 on: May 14, 2012, 06:14:19 pm »

Actually I was thinking more like headaaaache.

I loved that game.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22838 on: May 14, 2012, 06:17:51 pm »

I hope your doctor DOES decide to amputate, just because that would be hilarious and dwarfy. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22839 on: May 14, 2012, 06:32:45 pm »

Dragon suprised the siege army, always good for a laugh  :P

He toasted a squadron of trolls but the goblins made short work of him.  ???

Next time I make a fort I will only use 5*5 rooms. Clearing out all the stones is taking forever.  :'(
I gave up gathering refuse outside so topside is completely littered with corpses now.
Thinking of settling the caverns so caravans will have an escape route.

After much hard work the new alternative waterworks were complete and they work ! Sadly, the moment they pass trough tunnels where stagnant water has flown the water turns stagnant. So this is a complete failure. Quess they'll just have to get used to it.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22840 on: May 14, 2012, 06:35:37 pm »

My food supplier (head farmer), Olon Lobsterknife, just gave birth and named her daughter Lon Craftedlight. I found this pretty amusing. What I didn't find amusing is that she completely abandoned her brewing operation to a less skilled dwarf that was standing nearby.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22841 on: May 14, 2012, 07:09:28 pm »

Minecart related injuries. Damn it, that was an important dwarf and I could have done it without any danger. Now he'll be bedded for one year at least.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22842 on: May 14, 2012, 07:41:11 pm »

Minecart related injuries. Damn it, that was an important dwarf and I could have done it without any danger. Now he'll be bedded for one year at least.

ITS OUT?
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #22843 on: May 14, 2012, 08:52:45 pm »

My fort is having another Shedim Siege. Too bad for them, I have lots of platinium hammerhead javelins.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22844 on: May 14, 2012, 10:03:20 pm »

ITS OUT?
0.34.08 is indeed out.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
Pages: 1 ... 1521 1522 [1523] 1524 1525 ... 3842