Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1506 1507 [1508] 1509 1510 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100498 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22605 on: May 08, 2012, 07:22:07 am »

magma?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22606 on: May 08, 2012, 07:28:30 am »

Never hit magma before...
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22607 on: May 08, 2012, 07:34:51 am »

Work on the ongoing entrance hall to provide safe entry for wagons is, well... ongoing. The roof progresses much faster than the walls though. The gold for the gold road is being smelted too. Traps will be laid every few tiles.

We will turn this infernal ash into a weapon, or make it harmless.

And thankfully, with the discovery of magma, we needn't rely on wood for fuel anymore. I am using the last of our wood to finally house every dwarf (we have roughly 20 rooms currently, and 100 dwarves)

[FAKEEDIT]: A tonne of migrants arrived. A few are fairly useless Novice Milkers or Shearers or Pressers. They were promptly made into masons to work on the safety road.

Two showed promise with melee, and two more showed great promise with archery. (One had Adept, with 158 elven-owned animal kills.)
« Reply #22608 on: May 08, 2012, 07:36:01 am »

My artifacts depict each other... :(

I got another one like that.

This is a finely made cedar figurine of Urist McFloodgateartificer. On the item is an image of The Flimsy Veil, the cedar floodgate and Urist McFloodgateartificer in alpaca wool. Urist McFloodgateartificer is lifting The Flimsy Veil. The artwork relates to the creation of The Flimsy Veil, the cedar floodgate by Urist McFloodgateartificer.

It is bad enough that my first artifact was a floodgate. Now we have statues showing off the floodgate. XD

A floodgate, I must add, that is forever lost in a flooded room because I built the damn thing wrong. So now I have a flooded room I can't unflood and a floodgate I can't link to a lever or remove :(

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22609 on: May 08, 2012, 08:16:44 am »

Another wave of infernal ash sickness is sweeping the fort. Shoes are being made double time to compensate.

Our cook just went legendary. Our book-keeper, an Original Seven has come down with the Infernal Ash sickness.

The migrant wave, including children, took us from 104- 142.

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22610 on: May 08, 2012, 09:51:17 am »

I just switched the dwarven language_all raws to english * and this happened:

"Gesith Trusspaddle Decide Omen, Militia has bestowed the name Groupdestruction upon a steel battle axe!"

he and his 3 friends were just called in by a hauler, who equipped with armor and a crossbow had already killed the leader of the 2nd or 3rd ambush that day. they wiped out a group of, oh, 6 or 8 and were stood down.  Everyone was off on their business except the squad's leader who remained, loitered and, i suppose, on admiring the carnage decided to name the weapon after his 115th notable kill.

Gesith is a citizen of the Accidental Artifacts, member of the Unswerving Gold and the only carp-punching militia commander at Crescentjackal.

*( i found a wordlist with about 2100 words in 2 parts in this forum and replaced the equivalent text in the main and raws of the savegame. voila! now we're laughing with them!)

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22611 on: May 08, 2012, 09:58:32 am »

Just embarked in an new Area - ~15 z-Levels high straight cliff with an waterfall, iron ore 4 z-levels down from surface.

Looks really nice.

At least, a lack of trees lets me hope for some hippie-caravan in near future, ore for large amounts of Bituminous coal to get the war industry started.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22612 on: May 08, 2012, 11:59:28 am »

Seven extremely annoying kea's felt the need to intrude on the peacefulness of my entrance.

I trapped 3 and melted the other four.  Then I traded away the caged three for cheese.

How's that, Kea family?  You loving life NOW?  Stupid Kea's.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22613 on: May 08, 2012, 12:22:46 pm »

Started a new fort, half of which is in an evil mountain range. It's been raining red repellant goo off and on now for 2 months now.

But it's also got limestone, coal, all three iron ores, cassiterite, and copper.

...And a farmer and the expedition leader got chewed up by zombie boar.

Started a new fort, now between good mountains and a forest. Turned out to be a very steep climb up the mountains, with tons of dolomite, limestone, and wood.

Captured a breeding pair of Giant Kea, and with some modding, I am now producing Giant War Kea. I wish I could give them some steel talon claws and set them loose on wild kea. Teach those bastards to steal my (pig tail fiber cloth) en masse.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22614 on: May 08, 2012, 02:35:41 pm »

Whey, my dwarves are eating again, but not after a tantrum that destroyed my farm which was little more than amusing... But with the food crisis averted there is now no alcohol because some idiot decided he didn't want to plant any of our 300 seeds  ::)
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22615 on: May 08, 2012, 03:32:00 pm »

After sleeping for nearly 12 hours and going to school, I fired up my savegame.

Militia Commander bit off a grey languar man's nose and the unskilled recruit liberated its arm from its body. The surviving grey languar people have been killed, and aboveground farm started, and the killing was done mostly by the spear-wielding second in command.

I eagerly await more animalmen. And I am going to begin making cages and buying several meteric fucktons of them to begin a giant critter taming program.

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22616 on: May 08, 2012, 04:36:34 pm »

After sleeping for nearly 12 hours and going to school, I fired up my savegame.

Militia Commander bit off a grey languar man's nose and the unskilled recruit liberated its arm from its body. The surviving grey languar people have been killed, and aboveground farm started, and the killing was done mostly by the spear-wielding second in command.

I eagerly await more animalmen. And I am going to begin making cages and buying several meteric fucktons of them to begin a giant critter taming program.
Is it me, or are those actually langur men. I'm only saying this because I don't think this is the first time I've seen that written. Not to be nitpicky... Who am I kidding? Completely to be nitpicky...
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22617 on: May 08, 2012, 06:41:37 pm »

Starting up a new fort (yet again - I always seem to lose patience), and on another new world. The last fort didn't exactly go well (embarked on evil biome, which was fine, got the butchery shop set up with an atomsmasher to dispose of reanimateable waste products, slaughtered the yak and the yak hair, then suddenly caverns. Thought I ordered you to dig around them? Nope, now there's a gorlak rampaging through the staircase. Then a gorlak and some dwarf zombies. Then... yeah, it kinda ended as a mini-zombie apocalypse).

This time I've embarked in a Joyous Wilds area and will be importing evil instead. The cat has already developed a taste for fluffy wamblers (having these present is important as an extra weapon to use against marauding Bronze Colossi) and I may try using the Animal Trapping labour to see if I can catch pixies for export or decorative use.

Scientific note: I've been observing my marksdwarf-based militia during their early training. It seems they get Leader skill use out of the Organize Combat Training job, which precedes the Organize <whatever> Demonstration job (on whichever dwarf is chosen to lead the demo). Whether this skill actually does any good is unknown, but it would certainly be neat to have a Champion who is Legendary Teacher / Leader / all weapon and military skills, if for no other reason than appearing to be awesome.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22618 on: May 08, 2012, 07:39:12 pm »

Get this.

I'm smack in the middle of the barren desert, yet my stocks are so overflowing with logs that I had to carve out another 6x7 stockpile.  How is this possible?

Because this is the laziest fortress ever.  Eleven beds among 123 dwarves.  We're buried in kaolinite, but nobody wants to make charcoal.

I have enough beds in my barracks, yet I saw one of my soldiers sleeping on the floor of the barracks.  That's how lazy they are.  Can't even make it to their bed.  Then they start whining because they have no clothes.  Well, make some clothes, then, stupid!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:42:05 pm by Hamsmagoo »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22619 on: May 08, 2012, 11:14:07 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut

15) Roadkill
16) Bed Intruder

Work is ongoing in RabbitHut to get some above-ground structures ready.
While the migrants work above ground, my main dwarves (militia,nobles,mechanic) work on underground infratstructure.

A migrant peachick grows into a peahen. Bunnies are born.
The dwarf who lost his hand keeps going out occasionally to clean it.
We tan the wolverine corpse skin without issue.
And we manage to construct one awesome glumprong bucket.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since there are no undead on the surface now, one migrant decides to grab an elusive stone
that was left on the surface away from the construction site. He is lucky this time.

Speaking of which, heres a general idea of the construction site.

Garbage Chute gets completed. Bridge is in-progress to launch a lucky dwarf down for medical practice.

Then the zombies break out !!
A kobold corpse has unlocked it's chamber.
It has hacked it's way out.
Now it, another kobold corpse, and cow skin/hair are going to roam free unless I can stop them.

But seriously, my militia should be able to handle it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 06:18:29 pm by ZzarkLinux »
Pages: 1 ... 1506 1507 [1508] 1509 1510 ... 3842