Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1478 1479 [1480] 1481 1482 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107550 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22185 on: April 25, 2012, 03:02:35 pm »

Gray langurs stole 6 of the charcoal bars I bought upon embark (They're invaluable to my new creatures, because they can't chop down trees.). Goddammit. I hate those darn monkeys.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:04:33 pm by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22186 on: April 25, 2012, 05:33:45 pm »

Had to abandon. Inexplicably stagnant rivers FTL.
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22187 on: April 25, 2012, 05:42:07 pm »

So, um
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It works, its just a huge-fied version of the original waterwheel reactor, but the main engine needs to be started by the two small ones to work, and then all 3 need to be turned off to stop the damn thing. I had to make tons of improvisation to adequate the whole thing in the rather small chunk of rock it was built in to be at the underground pool's level.

It produces about 1700~ free power, more then what I need, but I want to expand it. but then I'll need extra small engines to start it :P. I might just might another one with the extra space and link the whole thing togheder.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22188 on: April 25, 2012, 05:57:41 pm »

My champion 'Sabrina' RoutedGlaze the Mahogany Fragment-Ferocity decided that she could kill a whole army of hammergobbos alone. The result? Broken spine, now I need to get the damn artifact clothing out of her.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22189 on: April 25, 2012, 06:13:53 pm »

Many thanks !
It is difficult to keep track of individual dorfs, but my military is mostly teenagers, they all have clothing and they are all upset about lack of clothing.
Perhaps I am simply not waiting long enough. I'll try to find a child that is not traumatized in other ways and see how it develops.

Thoughts linger for quite some time. I looked at one of my dorfs once who read "was happy to talk to a sibling lately" and "endured the loss of a sibling recently" at the same time...

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22190 on: April 25, 2012, 06:16:30 pm »

SHE CAN MOVE! The CMO is going to sleep with the giant ticks though, the bastard sutured her spine with candy...
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22191 on: April 25, 2012, 06:18:30 pm »

SIEGE !

Left the gate open too long waiting for stragglers. All the stragglers got killed and 10 trolls made it inside. Much blood was shed and the surviving axedwarves are happy now (but still bitching about their horrible trouserless childhood while wearing fine trousers).
The shootout with the goblins from my tower ended in a tie when I had to retreat due to crossbow goblins. So we're all stuck inside now.
Several wounded were saved in my hospital but many died from infections due to my total lack of soap.
A weregila showed up and fought with the trolls for zero effect, then changed into an amphibian women and ran off.

The reorganization seems to have resolved some problems but I am still having manpower problems. Everyone has to work fulltime to keep the fort moving which makes further development extremely slow. Way too many kids. I guess some of the all kinds haulers will have to become fulltime stone haulers to resolve this. FPS is beginning to slow but still going strong.
My metal industry has been waiting over a year for someone to move a single stone so the final wall can be build, but we're almost ready. I just hope it does not turn out I needed a magma pump for such a small project.

My main problem, as usual, is the megalomanic size of my projects. I can never just build a single workshop and a 5*5 stockpile. It always ends with tons of workshops and 10*10 stockpiles for every kind of item and everyone starves while I'm focused on seperating magma-safe stone from regular stone.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22192 on: April 25, 2012, 06:38:42 pm »

Much blood was shed and the surviving axedwarves are happy now (but still bitching about their horrible trouserless childhood while wearing fine trousers)

It's the dreams man.
Even the strongest of dwarves might succumb to those silent images in the night.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22193 on: April 25, 2012, 08:03:00 pm »

What's going on in my fort?

This

and

this.

8)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22194 on: April 26, 2012, 02:05:32 am »

Trying to decide If I've crossed a line with my current megaproject-in-progress - It's an excavated fort in a pit with running magma, water and mechanical power with a catch - It's all on a single support linked to a water timer.  The only way to rest the countdown is by 'sacrificing' a dwarf into a lethal fall down a pit.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22195 on: April 26, 2012, 02:30:33 am »

So, um
It works, its just a huge-fied version of the original waterwheel reactor, but the main engine needs to be started by the two small ones to work, and then all 3 need to be turned off to stop the damn thing. I had to make tons of improvisation to adequate the whole thing in the rather small chunk of rock it was built in to be at the underground pool's level.

It produces about 1700~ free power, more then what I need, but I want to expand it. but then I'll need extra small engines to start it :P. I might just might another one with the extra space and link the whole thing togheder.
You should totally put this design up on the wiki, call it the "Giant Water Reactor" or something like that. It would be nice to have a reactor that looks nice, is space efficient, and provides enough power for me to power larger projects without needing to build like 10 normal DWR's.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22196 on: April 26, 2012, 02:34:50 am »

So, um

You should totally put this design up on the wiki, call it the "Giant Water Reactor" or something like that. It would be nice to have a reactor that looks nice, is space efficient, and provides enough power for me to power larger projects without needing to build like 10 normal DWR's.

If you have an aquifer under your fort, I demonstrated how to do get free and expandable power easily a while ago - The Aquifer Battery

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22197 on: April 26, 2012, 02:39:55 am »

If you have an aquifer under your fort, I demonstrated how to do get free and expandable power easily a while ago - The Aquifer Battery
Yeah, but personally I don't like aquifers that much. They are nice and all, but I find the inability to carve out my perfectly designed city worth more to me then another fresh water and power source. As a result I've pretty much disabled all but the ocean aquifers in most of my worlds, thus removing that method of power generation.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22198 on: April 26, 2012, 02:48:03 am »

Madness! Madness! Madness tight on the heads of the dwarves...

...is what's going on.

Actually, not yet. I'm trying to build a trap by building 2 bridges linked to a row of pressure plates on a long corridor next to the barracks of my marksdwarves, so invaders get stuck there and shot by my marksdwarves through the fortified wall. But I'm still a noob and don't really get the workings of pressure plates. And also I don't want it to be triggered by caravans.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22199 on: April 26, 2012, 03:17:58 am »

Well, besides the usual dorfiness, our scuplture garden area is done:

It's an elevated plaform floored and roofed with schist blocks, with glass blocks forming the outer wall and skylights.  Now we just need to crank out some statues so dwarves can loaf around doing nothing taking a break, instead of doing the important shit that needs to get done get adapted to sunlight.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath
Pages: 1 ... 1478 1479 [1480] 1481 1482 ... 3842