Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1475 1476 [1477] 1478 1479 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107852 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22140 on: April 23, 2012, 09:50:23 pm »

I just examined legends mode.

The dwarves in my fortress were apparently conjured into being by the act of embarking. The year was 1050. Legends mode does not list a single dwarf being born after year 50, until my motley crew spontaneously appeared to satisfy migrant requirements.

There will *NEVER* be more migrants. *EVER*.

There are exactly 27 dwarves in the whole of existence. The elves, left unchecked, have overrun more than half the world with their "Umbral Veneration."

The region embarked in was uncontested land. To the north, an isolated human settlement barely hanging on, and untouched by the ravages of the great wars to the east. They have their own problems though. The lands teem with monsters, horrors, abominations, giant creatures, and things too terrible to mention.

The more I read in legends mode, the more I am very happy to have invaders turned off. I fear turning it on will be like opening the HFS.

Speaking of which, legends mode says that clowns inhabit the caverns.

I will continue my plan to raise dwarf kind from the ashes of oblivion.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22141 on: April 23, 2012, 09:54:21 pm »

....YAY early tickets to the circus
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22142 on: April 23, 2012, 10:08:19 pm »

Things got kinda boring with no sieges, I ran out of coal for the furnaces, decided to dig deeper.
Found a Candy Spire and mined out one (1) tile of raw Candy.

... Oh crap clowns! D:

And that was the end of Metalbrains.

Time for a new world...

I think this time I got the most awesome embark so far, with a volcano and a plentiful supply of galena, tetrahedrite and, best of all, hematite! \o/
Quickly set up an entrance bridge, some furnaces and a forge, and a bunch of farms in the caldera.
Now just to dig out some workshops and a living area, and find a water source...

There are exactly 27 dwarves in the whole of existence. The elves, left unchecked, have overrun more than half the world with their "Umbral Veneration."

Welp. Sounds like some A-grade ‼Fun‼. :o
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:11:25 pm by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22143 on: April 23, 2012, 10:14:22 pm »

Good thing I embarked on a volcano, and have shallow magma.

I really want to see a "migrant constrained" version of the "community adventure mode world" done with this world after I bolster dwarf populations.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #22144 on: April 23, 2012, 11:13:27 pm »

think of it this way...

THEY ARE WALKING AROUND NAKED IN FRONT OF THERE SIBLINGS, FRIENDS,AND FAMILY

Yes, because Fist Fights are the obvious reaction, especially when you were still half-naked... oh wait they are dwarves...
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22145 on: April 24, 2012, 02:25:04 am »

Turned my fortress into a test site to try out a few complex devices on the test subjects dwarves inhabiting the fort for a rather complicated future fort I intend to make.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22146 on: April 24, 2012, 04:27:12 am »

Well I just finished my second goblin seige. About a dozen of them with a general on elkbirds. They were supported by about 10 trolls. From the north, on foot, came about a dozen mace goblins led by a elite goblin archer. While my 2 squads of five axedwarfs went and delt with the general and his entourage the mace goblins snuck in.

By snuck in I mean I was too busy watching the goblin general bleed to death and my axe lord milita commander drown while cutting down trolls left and right. By the time I realized the mace goblins were in the general living quarters of my fort they had already cut down some 60 odd dwarves out of 218. Mostly children so it wasn't a big blow to my labor force. I turned my remaining militia around to run them down but I was down to only 3 axe dwarves by this time and they badly needed food and drink.

Luckily the slaughtering of their comrades outside cause the remaining mace goblins inside my fort to run back outside, and thus back through the serrated disc traps the lined the entrance. That at least took care of the elite goblin bowman. The seige is still technically going on. 6 elk birds remain swarming over the spot where the general bled out. I will deal with them in a bit. They are out of the way so I'm not getting job cancelation spam and they are stopping any caravans and migrant waves from coming. I'm using that buffer to bury my dead and pick up all the goblinite. By the time dwarves had stopped dying from massive bleeding I came as close as I have ever come to a tantrum spiral. Held back only by the new abundance of beds, the speed of my burial process, and the fancy meeting/dining/scupture garden hall I made.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22147 on: April 24, 2012, 06:47:41 am »

think of it this way...

THEY ARE WALKING AROUND NAKED IN FRONT OF THERE SIBLINGS, FRIENDS,AND FAMILY

Yes, because Fist Fights are the obvious reaction, especially when you were still half-naked... oh wait they are dwarves...

you people onley pay attention sometimes WHEN I TALK LIKE THIS!
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22148 on: April 24, 2012, 07:02:37 am »

@weird:
I had a world like that. Not sure about the lack of migration, though. Just remember elves were running amok.
I wish I had it still. Wanted to slice some knife-ears, demnit.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22149 on: April 24, 2012, 07:28:01 am »

pumping out steel armors by the dozens. I'm just going to make sure I'll embark as dwarf closeby and snatch some after I abandon. Plus now I have a few trained armorsmith that might migrate to later forts. Not bad at all
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22150 on: April 24, 2012, 09:25:27 am »

I hate when brokers go on break.
Makes me want to strangle things. Little bearded short things.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand it just figures the manager/job manager would prioritize my Metalsmith Forge over my Magma Forge.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:27:58 am by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22151 on: April 24, 2012, 09:44:38 am »

forbid the items you used to build the normal forge and it won't get any jobs. If a metal crafter gets a mood and doesn't claim a magma forge you can unforbid it again

also: (q) over depot, (b) = anyone can trade. As long as the broker has appraisal skill you'll see the value regardless of whoever is trading. The person trading gets some social skill boosts for each trade you make.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22152 on: April 24, 2012, 10:24:26 am »

In my current fortress, an axedwarf of mine named Udib lost a family member to a night creature attack, had to endure a sibling dying due to the sibling probably going berserk ( and promptly getting killed by my small military ). 

A planter went berserk, who was a relative of the one who died in the night creature attack.  Udib was closest to the scene, so he hacked apart the berserker easily, with his competent axe skill.

For some reason, Udib was miserable.  I read that he had lost a father to tragedy.  Checking his relations, I saw that the planter who was killed was Udib's father.

My axedwarf had to put down his own dad.  That...makes me pretty sad. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22153 on: April 24, 2012, 11:18:45 am »

go go go for tantrum spiral! Did Udib also have the "took joy in slaughter" thought? That would be.... very DF

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22154 on: April 24, 2012, 12:01:26 pm »

Started a new fort. This time on the banks of a wide river, with another river from above running into it, creating a natural waterfall. Two problems with it, though: 1) Aquifer, so I may have to wait until winter to get any stone(assuming it works like that?), and 2), somehow, a murky pool polluted the smaller river with stagnant water, which has also polluted the big river. No big deal, though.

Spoiler: Here's a screenshot (click to show/hide)
I'll give you a moment to spot it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1475 1476 [1477] 1478 1479 ... 3842