Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1471 1472 [1473] 1474 1475 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108159 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22080 on: April 21, 2012, 11:49:24 pm »

Sabreheals had its first sentients arrive today.

The dwarven caravan from Italzulban "The Neutral Banner" arrived, and set up shop. They scoffed at our paltry offering of diorite crafts, accepting fifty crafts in exchange for some animals (a rabbit, and a hen) before getting irritated at Sabreheals suggestion that they accept more crafts in exchange for a few drinks; and left.

The diplomat ran in circles for a while before being allowed out after the infernal ash cloud had passed. Italzulban's caravan left, grumpy at the poor pickings. They narrowly avoided another ash cloud. Sabreheals promptly sealed its gates.

Work is continuing on establishing New Sabreheals, but it's going very slowly. A farm plot has been established, and some of New Sabreheals' industrial area has been established too. Finally, Sabreheals can start stabilising our food and alcohol supply.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22081 on: April 22, 2012, 12:26:15 am »

Relicdreams! Working elf-drowner, nearly 88k dorfburks, kobolds all over the damn place... I think I need to invest in a trap-lined entrance or two before Goblin Christmas... I do have limonite all over the place and limestone as a layer stone for the first couple levels. 8000ish of that is going into the pyramid on top of this fort, but I have a 3x3 embark I'm still swimming in the stuff. Time to get digging!

Edit: Hah, magma tube in the first cavern I hit, 28 z-levels from the surface. Walled off from the cavern, revealed the rest of the tube so I knew its boundaries, and now I'm going to start my first metal industry since Armok only knows how many different forts and several releases ago.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:43:16 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22082 on: April 22, 2012, 12:42:28 am »

Metalbrains may survive for a bit longer after all.
The builders finally got around to using the phyllite boulder that was holding up trade depot construction, and we finally have a walled pasture. The roofing for the refuse stockpile is also nearly done. Now just to build some decent living quarters, it's getting awful crowded in my axedwarf barracks/dining hall/bookkeeper's office/dormitory combo...

And finally, some ore! I could have sworn there was supposed to be shallow metals here, but all's I can see is phyllite and orthoclase. The deeper layers at least have some tetrahedrite.

A titan also showed up. Fortunately it was just a salty quadruped that collapsed after taking a coupole of +turkey bone bolt+s.
Hope there won't be any more serious invasions before the roofing and archers' tower are finished, though...

Also, food seems to be becoming an issue again. What in Armok's infinite beard are all of those farmers doing all the time? ???
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:44:58 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22083 on: April 22, 2012, 02:56:40 am »

A giant cave swallow took one look at New Sabreheals and fled out into the world of the glacier.

Five pond grabbers have taken up residence near New Sabreheals' farm plot. They are harmless, at the moment, but at the first sign of trouble Sabreheals' bravest sons shall fight them.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22084 on: April 22, 2012, 03:00:09 am »

After reviewing the metal stockpiles, it was decided to mine more flux. I had not quite realised that mining out 2 clusters of magnetite would provide quite so much ore. Inferior metals such as bronze and copper can be used for bins and bolts. The military is looking good in steel though, with copper shields and the occasional silver warhammer
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22085 on: April 22, 2012, 03:15:32 am »

Lielac, Overseer, cancels Make Metal Industry: doesn't have a &%$#ing anvil because she never brings them anymore and forgot to get one off the dwarven caravan.

The human caravan will bring them, but that's still two seasons with gaping holes in the forge area where fire imps could jump through...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22086 on: April 22, 2012, 05:57:14 am »

New fort this morning, got settled in all well and good. Have no anvil though so Im in the process of drowning a caravan and hoping they have one so I can finally get metalwork underway.

Just got a small military set up, training away atm :D
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22087 on: April 22, 2012, 05:59:49 am »

My militia commander beat a goblin to death whit a ashen crutch when he had a candy sword...

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22088 on: April 22, 2012, 06:21:40 am »

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut
I keep seeing this title, and I keep thinking that you've modded your game so that rabbits replace dwarves. Until I actually *read* your posts, that is.
They will eventually replace the dwarves. In the end.

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut

17) MegaProject Report 3 - Stupid Elves
18) Always dangerous at sunset

Things are going good. Second summer, just got stuff from elves, and migrants are now working hard.

Everyone gets ready to slaughter a Water Buffalo Calf.
Want that meat, don't want that undead part, so station the militia in a closed room and begin.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was actually able to sneak in a second session of trading with the elves.
Got more food, some cloth, a crutch and a splint. Having a legendary stonecrafter from that mood is great.
Right now my butcher is busy, and so is my cook and farmers. In fact all my dwarves are busy, which is good.

A foul vapor drifts nearby. It is on the east side of the map, sweeping west.
My only wildlife, a barn owl, seems to be avoiding it for now. Good.

More good news, my medical experiment actually worked.
My doctor was finally able to practice his diagnostics, so he's not rusty anymore.
I was worried the dwarf would bleed to death after falling 4 levels, but thankfully bleeding stops and
the internal organs are fine. Just some broken appendages. None of my dwarves wanted to recover wounded
(even my nurse who likes helping people) so at last the doctor went to get his patient.

Of course, there was an accident afterwards.
Someone went to put the bridge back down (not sure why), and Chinami decided to obey the non-existing burrow
order to stand in the bridge area ... so looks like I have my first permanent missing case / death.

I was able to clean-up the pasture-project a little better during this time.
(Multi-tasking and micromanaging many tasks is Fun !)

Then I notice a downer.

The barn owl has swooped back and has become a foul vapor husk.
Now I'm not sure it will ever leave the map. Thank bun I got the other megaproject developments done and roofed.

Now the elves are leaving through the wrong exit. They will meet the barn owl husk when
migrants have arrived

Thankfully, the migrants are on the other side of the map.
The barn owl husk gets distracted with one of the elves's camels.
For some reason, the elves try to flee onto the roof of my pasture.

So the elf is dragging his unconscious and crippled husk across the map.
At least the migrants can make it inside safely.
This may be the last migrant wave to make it alive, but hey, 4 successful migrant waves for a fort ain't bad at all.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22089 on: April 22, 2012, 07:30:58 am »

I walked away from the computer and left DF running. Shit. Missed Autumn and Summer, and now have no booze in a saltwater fort. FUUUUUUUUCK.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22090 on: April 22, 2012, 07:50:13 am »

I walked away from the computer and left DF running. Shit. Missed Autumn and Summer, and now have no booze in a saltwater fort. FUUUUUUUUCK.
Switch the autosave option to [SEASONAL].

There seems to be some sort of children revolution going on, every month 3 or 4 children die.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22091 on: April 22, 2012, 08:19:21 am »

Eagle breeding program gooooooooooo

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22092 on: April 22, 2012, 08:50:20 am »

Successfully jailed my most recent Vampire before he made friends, he'll be there for 3600 days. Woo hoo!

Unfortunately my Axe lord now has 12 children.  And a Steel Battle Axe.  Recipe for disaster?

Of my 10 firstborn to the fortress, 4 remain and will turn to Peasants next year. We are a Duchy and have completed the requirements of the Civilisation to become the Capital.

We have 224 Dwarves, with 83 children.  Upon the arrival of adulthood for these children, they will be militarised or selectively bred. 

And on the subject of breeding, it seems only Cinnamon hair has survived in my civilisation.

May the strength of Destinedfailure forever hold!
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22093 on: April 22, 2012, 11:37:29 am »

My fortress is now officially a part of the kingdom.

First time I've reached this milestone.

Now, if only I could find some coal in this dreary dirt pit.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #22094 on: April 22, 2012, 12:02:50 pm »

Currently having a bit of trouble producing enough booze for all my new immigrants, who really shouldn't be there considering the cap I placed. And now I have to mass produce barrels from the wood I needed to make charcoal for all the iron, copper and silver in my mountain of metal. I really could use a bit of coal myself.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.
Pages: 1 ... 1471 1472 [1473] 1474 1475 ... 3842