Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1470 1471 [1472] 1473 1474 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108150 times)

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22065 on: April 21, 2012, 10:51:13 am »

Population rising over 100 again. Did some massive trading to get rid of junk. Luckily, the caravan guards killed an ambush for me  :D

Turns out determining who the vampire must be is easy, just find a dwarf that is really happy and not bothered about the lack of food, booze, beds, medical treatment...well everything really  :P
To be honest I found him because of Dwarf Therapist by accident. He is a good soldier and DT shows his 'real' name. So I got a clue after not being able to find him in DF. His very long bio also looks suspicious.

Well, I hope it's him. He's locked in a tiny barracks outside with nothing and so far only complained about the weather.
Which is ironic, as it's raining dwarf blood  8)
Next siege I'll let him out and we'll see what happens  :P

Sadly, my scripts no longer work in DT and I can't figure out why. This is making life a pain.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

karloss99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22066 on: April 21, 2012, 12:04:06 pm »

and my computer crashed :o

lost the entire progress i had made, including my first(sensible) artifact...

Why world, why.. :'(

BTW, if a dorf got a mood can it happen again? since I lost my progress I'm kinda hoping to get legendary weapon or armor smith...

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22067 on: April 21, 2012, 12:38:09 pm »

Hill Titan.

Made of Steel. How do I kill it?

Candy spears ? Magma or Atom Smasher if all else fails.

Steel is, if I recall correctly, entirely magmaproof, and titans are too big for the dwarven atom smasher to work on them (it breaks instead). The only really solid option you have for killing a steel titan (assuming you lack adamantine) is to cave in the roof over it. If you didn't include an area in your entrance with this in mind this is going to be problematic. Consider walling yourself off entirely while you come up with something.

edit:typo

further edit: you could also cave the floor in under it, as a creature that heavy will easily come apart if dropped even a few z-levels. I'd use the wiki page on bronze collosi as a reference if you attempt this.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:41:25 pm by LumberingOaf »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22068 on: April 21, 2012, 12:40:02 pm »

1z level fall/cave in dust and cage traps may work too.
A tamtruing naked child killed the CMO with a granite boulder, poor fella.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22069 on: April 21, 2012, 02:59:46 pm »

and my computer crashed :o

lost the entire progress i had made, including my first(sensible) artifact...

Why world, why.. :'(

BTW, if a dorf got a mood can it happen again? since I lost my progress I'm kinda hoping to get legendary weapon or armor smith...

seasonal saves win

most likely a different dwarf will mood
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22070 on: April 21, 2012, 05:34:34 pm »

Even if you save while the dwarf is constructing the artifact, crashing (or savescumming) can produce different artifacts, unless I'm remembering wrong. It'd use the same skill, but maybe you'd get a hammer instead of a sword, gauntlet instead of a breastplate...
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22071 on: April 21, 2012, 06:28:14 pm »

Well my first semi-functional fort is currently in a tantrum spiral... i've ony had a population of 100+ twice so far. Had my wealth hit 300k, and had a siege. No biggie, i shut the drawbridge and blocked everyone inside to a safety burrow. All but a fisherdwarf got in safe. A season later, the siege leaves, no other casualties. Two seasons pass... and an ambush shows up. I send my military out to meet them, a force of 15 or so, mixed force of marks- and melee- dwarf... and as the engagement occurs, 2 more ambushes pop out. I send my squads back, wiping out the goblins in my hall o' traps. But i lost half of my military, and caused several dwarves to tantrum. At the same time, two dwarfs went moody and demanded stuff i had none of. They went nuts and i starved them to death in their shops. Bury the dead, etc. But everyone keeps punching / flipping tables, and i dunno what else to do to make em happy. Ah well, its all FUN :)

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22072 on: April 21, 2012, 06:34:16 pm »

There are wild boars wandering around Highbreach. I know how they got in: I spotted a bunch of boars that fell off the waterfall into the river, and noticed that some of them were still mobile, wandering along the river. They must have climbed onto my floating well platform and clambered up the stairs.

That's not the weird part. The weird part is that they are non-hostile. I put a bunch of dwarves into a military squad and stationed them near the boars, but nobody attacked anybody. I'll leave them alone for now, because I have too many other animals that need slaughtering.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22073 on: April 21, 2012, 07:24:34 pm »

In some kind of strange throwback to the 2D versions I had cave crocodiles come out of my wells.  Fortunately just out of random fortress design the fortress guard barracks was near the wells and the guard introduced them to silver maces while my real military was dealing with the rest of the invasion.

Now I have greenskin corpses in the plumbing though, I guess they couldn't hold their breath as long as their mounts.  When anybody says the water in watergate has a funny taste they aren't lying. 

The plumbing for the wells of Watergate now includes:
2 dead water buffalo
A live donkey in a cage
Assorted trade goods that were on the water buffalo (a trading civ has a caste that can breathe underwater, sometimes they take odd paths)
3 dead orcs
2 dead goblins
And the severed tail of an executed vampire dracon that found it's way into one of the prison wells
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22074 on: April 21, 2012, 07:54:04 pm »

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut

I keep seeing this title, and I keep thinking that you've modded your game so that rabbits replace dwarves. Until I actually *read* your posts, that is.

So I did it myself. Replaced dwarves with rabbits, elves with tigermen, and humans with gorillas. Worldgen goes off without a hitch, and it's great looking through legends to see a rabbit warrior defeat a bronze colossus and such.

Tigermen don't seem to survive for very long, though. Possibly because I modded the ethics - I didn't want them to be pansies like the elves, but it still made sense for them to eat sapients (especially in a world populated by animal-men). So that one point is the philosophical cause of a lot of wars, and then the tigermen get outnumbered and wiped out before year 200. EVERY TIME.

So much for them. The rabbits caused their own batch of problems; I couldn't get them to use equipment for the longest time, even with the "equips" tag, and then I realized: there's a minimum size tag on all weapons. Once I created rabbit-sized picks and axes, they started burrowing into the earth like good little bunnies.

It's a fun little diversion, though I expect trouble with my first goblin ambush. Rabbits are tiny, and even a single stab from a regular-sized sword or spear could be devastating.
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22075 on: April 21, 2012, 07:56:47 pm »

Found a vampire, walled him in an oubliette and dropped the ceiling on him. Too bad "ceiling" in this case included my broker/legendary miner.  :-[
The bearded morons steadfastly refuse to build a trade depot, apparently because a stone bound for the refuse stockpile roof is sitting at the construction site...

So, business as usual.

May have to abandon in near future.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22076 on: April 21, 2012, 08:13:08 pm »

I've finally gotten my stoneware industry going. Volcanoes + fire clay = many many dorfbucks.

I just wish there was some kind of "gathering" labor, as it is my clay gatherers keep trying to haul items outside their burrow and I get a lot of job cancellations.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22077 on: April 21, 2012, 10:23:45 pm »

Got one guy with the "lazy woodcutter" bug. Plenty of trees designated to be cut, got a perfectly good -copper axe- sitting in the weapons stockpile (nothing is forbidden or set to be dumped), there are no pathing restrictions of any kind, no burrows or military set up at all, and Woodcutting is the only labor enabled on this dwarf.

His status: No Job.

Gotta love it.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22078 on: April 21, 2012, 11:01:30 pm »

In some kind of strange throwback to the 2D versions I had cave crocodiles come out of my wells.  Fortunately just out of random fortress design the fortress guard barracks was near the wells and the guard introduced them to silver maces while my real military was dealing with the rest of the invasion.

Now I have greenskin corpses in the plumbing though, I guess they couldn't hold their breath as long as their mounts.  When anybody says the water in watergate has a funny taste they aren't lying. 

The plumbing for the wells of Watergate now includes:
2 dead water buffalo
A live donkey in a cage
Assorted trade goods that were on the water buffalo (a trading civ has a caste that can breathe underwater, sometimes they take odd paths)
3 dead orcs
2 dead goblins
And the severed tail of an executed vampire dracon that found it's way into one of the prison wells

Nutritional water! YUM!

Now if you could just find away to stuff plump helmets in there =)

Vampire prisoners... yay!
I voted for BANANA!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22079 on: April 21, 2012, 11:30:51 pm »

Watergate has become a mountainhome.  The queen and her entourage has arrived.  Looking at her relationship screen seems a number of the useless residents that have been in the fortress practically forever are actually royalty.  Like princes and princesses royalty.  Bigwigs.  One is actually a Fortress Guard.  Interesting.

Also due to using humans as a base for the custom race so long ago, I also got half a dozen lords and ladies too.  Good thing, they don't require rooms.  Bad thing, they make mandates....  I have not been so tempted to engineer a series of unfortunate accidents in a very long time.

P.S. Well the random trader junk on the buffalo includes a pitchblende bracelet, some river spirits, and a constant cloud of apperantly aquatic wild hamsters.  Fraid there are no plump helmets though.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:36:12 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1470 1471 [1472] 1473 1474 ... 3842