Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1469 1470 [1471] 1472 1473 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108151 times)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22050 on: April 20, 2012, 04:33:25 am »

It's a little chaotic...
I had an invasion, and then a second forgotten beast, another giant crocodile, this time with one eye, wings and breathing fire, appeared in the caverns, stomped around a bit, and then landed slap bang in the midst of the rudimentary barracks at the entrance.

Fire, all over the place. Smoke. Burnt half the cavern into ash, killed a couple before a war dog crippled it and someone else beheaded it with a two handed sword.

We also got another fey mood - produced an iron battle axe, The Sable Ram. Not bad, sounds pretty good, actually.

A few tantruming Thothgol, Troglodytes all over the caverns, some kid tried to go hunting alone and got mauled by a heard of Draltha, who then ambushed a couple of other hunters. Three of the five had names before they died.

And now a siege.

FUN!!!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22051 on: April 20, 2012, 04:56:23 am »

I've given up on finding a perfect site, instead i'll settle for a site connected to civilization by a large river and also to the ocean, i'll just mod the raws to give more ore per smelting and i'll use cheat for flux (marble, orthoclase, whatever)
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #22052 on: April 20, 2012, 11:04:53 am »

My desert city has pop 70+, 31 of which are children. Initiating operation "Hunger Games".

May the odds be EVER in my favor!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

newbonomicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22053 on: April 20, 2012, 01:25:42 pm »

After receiving a disturbing artifact wooden barrel by the name of Spurnmetals the Pure Mines, I have begun phasing the use of wood out of as many industries as possible. Pots made of clay, rock, or metal are replacing barrels. Beds will be the only furniture made of wood, and even then reluctantly. I have begun smelting the large amounts of lignite and bituminous coal I hadn't realized I had into coke to render charcoal obsolete. That'll teach those wannabe elves not to spurn metals!

On another note, not much progress has been made on the ceiling I'm building over the area just outside of my fortress. This is likely because I am insistent that it be made completely out of dolomite, which, while abundant here, is not being mined as quickly as I'd like, particularly since I keep needing to carve out new bedrooms for my migrants.

Also, my dwarves now have a general familiarity with the training of wild boars. I still don't know why I was training them in the first place.

As I typed this, a dwarf completed an artifact leather toga called Kissskirts the Cobalt Excavation. So I guess I've gone from elf wannabes to human wannabes?

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22054 on: April 20, 2012, 02:13:43 pm »

After receiving a disturbing artifact wooden barrel by the name of Spurnmetals the Pure Mines, I have begun phasing the use of wood out of as many industries as possible. Pots made of clay, rock, or metal are replacing barrels. Beds will be the only furniture made of wood, and even then reluctantly. I have begun smelting the large amounts of lignite and bituminous coal I hadn't realized I had into coke to render charcoal obsolete. That'll teach those wannabe elves not to spurn metals!

On another note, not much progress has been made on the ceiling I'm building over the area just outside of my fortress. This is likely because I am insistent that it be made completely out of dolomite, which, while abundant here, is not being mined as quickly as I'd like, particularly since I keep needing to carve out new bedrooms for my migrants.

Also, my dwarves now have a general familiarity with the training of wild boars. I still don't know why I was training them in the first place.

As I typed this, a dwarf completed an artifact leather toga called Kissskirts the Cobalt Excavation. So I guess I've gone from elf wannabes to human wannabes?

@newbonomicon, Exciting! Good for you not using that wood!

Is it ok if I post images here in this thread?

The beginning of my new fort, and hopefully the one that lasts many years until I have a beautiful metalic city surrounding a wonderful magma lake =)

I like the desert scenery. Conscripted my first migrant wave as entirely masons. Just the foundation of some very preliminary walls =) Their going to be outer walls, to hold in the magma, and not really defensive in nature, just enough to funnel enemies through my militia to start off. I'm praying I can get it mostly done before my fort value skyrockets too high.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I voted for BANANA!

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22055 on: April 20, 2012, 04:30:11 pm »

I've just gotten my population quadrupled. I got up to 46 from 19, and I am having doubts of whether I can brew enough for all of them. Miners are working overtime to dig new rooms, expand the stone stockpile, remove the ramps from the pond I had emptied into my fort, expand the dining room, and continue mining in the mines. Meanwhile, I'm trying to churn out beds with the only carpenter I have.

Yea, It's busy...
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22056 on: April 20, 2012, 05:00:45 pm »

A nice little growth-spurt.

The Cyclops Kizest Kanrur has come! You all know what a cyclops is so I ain't explaining but he arrived on the map.

In a pasture.

A pasture with 1 war dog and 11 war cave crocodiles. The first croc to reach him managed to inflict a very minor wound before being killed in a single punch but after that he was swamped by the walking handbags, falling unconcious (and tired). When the militia came two swipes with a steel short sword were enough to kill it.

I'm trying to get this fort to die in a blaze of glory, you wuss.  >:(

His corpse (weighs 12379) is being hauled to the refuse piles. Probably will be butchered too. As if the 631 meat gained from the slaughter of superfluous livestock, dogs and crocs wasn't already enough. And this was shortly after I sold off most of my meat (and a portion of my plant) stock to the dwarf caravan too.   >:(

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:02:44 pm by AWdeV »
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22057 on: April 20, 2012, 07:09:47 pm »

AMBUSH !

Hah, I'll just hide my pathetic excuse for an army behind the bridge...which I forgot to connect to a lever *whoops*
Well, 3/4 of my men lay dead but we are victorious  :D

All the corpses have taken care of my clothing shortage problem  :P

After long digging I've finally found the magma at -25. I've never had to dig so deep. Started to dig out lowtown, but apparently made a little mistake with stairs so my two legendary miners have died of thirst. The backup crew has arrived but we lost valuable time. I need glass and armor yesterday.

While this is going on a vampire is in my fort. Every now and then someone ends up dead and drained of blood. I've no idea what to do but it is intriguing,

I got sieged and lacking water all my wounded died in my brand new hospital. The well was finally operational a minute before the siege was lifted  8)

Just completed an archer tower outside the walls to harass the next siegers.

Next on the agenda is getting the metal industry up and running, more housing, more food variety, a kitchen, ten new recruits and investigating what to do about count dracula.

P.S. In other weird news, my outer bridge gate has been destroyed five times now. Not sure what happens but I build a backup gate as well just in case.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:17:44 pm by LuckyLuigi »
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #22058 on: April 20, 2012, 07:49:09 pm »

Hill Titan.

Made of Steel. How do I kill it?
I LOST THE GAME

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22059 on: April 20, 2012, 07:57:05 pm »

Hill Titan.

Made of Steel. How do I kill it?

Candy spears ? Magma or Atom Smasher if all else fails.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:58:57 pm by LuckyLuigi »
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22060 on: April 20, 2012, 08:31:30 pm »

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut

15) MegaProject Report 1 - Additional Slaves are Madness
16) MegaProject Report 2 - Wild Animals might be wild

So everything is figuratively on fire because we're super busy starving and working and more migrants come.
They bring numeroustimebombs yaks/bulls/cows too.

Thankfully my first moody dwarf didn't want much.
So we are really busy with the megaproject, but we need food and booze, and miners to clear out Yak-Containment chambers.
The miners have been partying for a while...

Though I may have figured a way to break up the party.
If you designate another meeting hall, then remove the current meeting hall, the children will re-schedule it in the new hall.
This has the chance to free the "trapped" party-people, since they may not find floor space in the new hall.
At least, it worked to free my miners and mason.
Start preparing the livestock execution chambers !!

Our current threat is a living Porcupine.
Not much of a threat, which is good, but he is an omen.

Another cloud of foul vapor forms. It forms on the edge of the evil biome, which is right in the middle of the map almost.
It is heading towards my MegaProject !!

The walls of MegaProject part 2 are done, but the ceiling isn't.
Good God, I hope the walls stop the ash from hitting my barnyard !!

Thankfully it doesn't.
The ash goes above some animals, but it doesn't wrap-around to the animals.
Stupid migrants, you almost killed me !

My containment chambers are almost done, but then I get the "Elves have arrived" message...

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22061 on: April 20, 2012, 09:35:50 pm »

Well, got a bunch of different things going on currently. Have been getting my stockpile system revamped to be a bit more "job frequency" efficient. Prepping for a magma-source expedition so I can finally cut down on my charcoal use, as seeing that I haven't found any appreciable veins of coke-making-ores yet. And wondering just how many more years the human's diplo-god is going to wait outside before going away... Yes. The humans sent a diplomat who happens to be a deity... Disem the Law-Giver. "A great three-eyed lizard twisted into humanoid form. It undulates rhythmically. its charcoal scales are jagged and overlapping. Beware its deadly blood! He is average in size." 0.0

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22062 on: April 20, 2012, 10:35:54 pm »

Suicide Falls/High Breach update: the weregopher incident has resulted in several other infected dwarves turning into weregophers and needing to be put down. I kind of like this, because I was sort of planning to work on this fort until the population got low again, then abandon and reclaim, since I've never done a reclaim. However, once the deaths took the population down to 21, migrants showed up, so it may be a while before I run out of dwarves.

I'm prebuilding a lot of coffins and keeping my fingers crossed, though. Maybe I'll need to turn off forbidding of death items again and have someone try to claim an item at the bottom of the falls to start another lemming incident.

In the meanwhile, I'll see what I can do about building a better well than the one I currently have (howering over the lower river.) Aquifer is over to one side and at a low z-level, it looks like, so I can build an aqueduct to the center of my fort and create an easy-to reach cistern.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22063 on: April 21, 2012, 10:07:23 am »

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut

16) MegaProject Report 2 - Wild Animals might be wild
17) MegaProject Report 3 - Stupid Elves

We have a metric bukton of migrants, a bukton of livestock, and the ash has been threatening to husk it all.
During this time I'm trying to increase food and booze without everyone going out to party.

It is now Summer. This is a worn-out Overlord.

My Skilled Diagnostician is getting Very Rusty, so I plan to launch dwarves into my garbage chute to test them.
Well, I've launched test subjects multiple times, but they don't want to fall down 4 z levels !!!! ARG

Then the elves arrive. They have impecible timing.

I am spoiled rotten that they make it to the depot alive and unhusked.
But my dwarves are so busy with the megaproject that I don't plan to actually trade anything.

Some child grows into a peasant.
I don't care. I can't manage anything right now.
The pasture shelter and the butchering of livestock is too critical.

The elves bring some guests with them.

So in addition to the Livestock timebombs, the dwarves-starving timebombs, the elf merchant timebombs,
I now have thief timebombs.
If anything dies, the undead will stay around too close for my liking...

Then I see this.

Thankfully he still leaves the map like a good thief.

Actually, since this megaproject part 2 is almost done with the roof, I try to spare some people to
make statues to trade. I notice the Elves have a live porcupine that I want. I guess food/booze too.
Maybe I can breed rabbits and porcupines here. I just need magma to start smelting the galena into
lead cages.

One of my dogs gives birth to a puppy. And a lamb grows into a ram.

And we finally finish this phase of the MegaProject !!

Now I can play again !!
I haven't played since Wednesday, when all this happened.

Yes, three chapters of hell can happen in just a few hours of DF.

karloss99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22064 on: April 21, 2012, 10:16:15 am »

1st. artifact weapon in the fort.

From a possessed dorf... >:(

I am only now starting to assemble my military so a legendary weaponsmith would have been... well legendary.

PS.

Pages: 1 ... 1469 1470 [1471] 1472 1473 ... 3842