Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1463 1464 [1465] 1466 1467 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108638 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21960 on: April 17, 2012, 04:36:43 pm »

I recently built a chapel to Armok. I built a large 3x3x4 brass throne out of bars, and I am currently filling the surroundings of that brass throne with the skulls of enemy siegers.

The chapel itself is 14x14x5, it is entirely smoothed (excepted for the ground), made of natural stone. and the brass throne is in the middle.

Around the brass throne (3x3) is a stockpile of war elephant/warwolf skulls which is a 9x9 square, around that stockpile is a 11x11 square 1z-deep moat, and around it is a 14x14 standard rock square ring, which I am currently filling with brass and iron statues depicting only battle and bloodshed. Most of them are of some random war between war elephants and frogmen a while ago, but I get plenty of useless statues like the ones about a mayor losing it's mayor status (visibly my dedicated metalsmith is a troll), or some god of generosity. Sure, that's gonna be useful. I'm making my soldiers metalsmiths in hope that they immortalize their feats of arms, but it's not working really well.

Anyways, I am faced with a most grave conundrum. Should I fill the moat with bloody water (since blood doesn't acts like a liquid for now) or magma ?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21961 on: April 17, 2012, 04:41:12 pm »

Embarked with ten Necromancer towers for neighbors, and no surprise, got an undead siege before the first caravan showed up.

As a bonus, the following was found shortly thereafter, along with the remains of Vabok Helmlove, in a weapon trap:

Vabok Helmlove: Further Musings
This is a magnetite-bound book.
The written portion consists of a 29 page essay entitled Vabok Helmlove: Further Musings, authored by Vabok Helmlove.  It concerns the dwarf necromancer Vabok Helmlove.  The writing has a very serious tone and it is full of force.

Love it!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21962 on: April 17, 2012, 04:53:00 pm »

Sabreheals is being moved underground to the caverns; that way, we can at least access plants for booze and underground trees. Pity the caverns are very mountainous and sloped.

Work on sealing the layer is underway; but still no water has been discovered.

I haven't gotten a caravan either... I guess that I'm on an utterly abandoned, terrifying glacier. No one aside from the O7 and the two migrant waves have shown up, and there are no enemies besides the drifting infernal ash.

Interesting... It's like my dwarves decided to settle on Helcaraxë. Ice, ice, shifting ice and nothing else.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21963 on: April 18, 2012, 06:27:24 am »

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut

11) Beards grow tired, Bunnies grow restless
12) Switching Gears

Last time, I finished a first step in my megaproject.
My bunnies got an upgraded hut !!

It went well, and I want to build even more things on the surface.
Of course, flying corpses and foul-vapors that spawn next to my not-evil biome still want to challenge me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course, I seal myself back in for now.
I need to re-organize and re-supply for the next phase, and I don't want those falcon men corpses coming in.

Earlier, I dumped about ~50 obsidian stone next to my West Security Entrance.
My dwarves plowed through that pile so fast that they started grabbing stone from elsewhere.
So for the next step in surface development, I need to:
: make a large(r) stone dump next to my NorthWest Security #1 checkpoint
: farm more food cause we're running out

That's a lot of hauling, and my military has been helping out.
One of them even processed all my pigtails to thread.
Hell, all of my militiary is ecstatic now. I need to put them back in training !

Also, my miners having finished digging out my dual purpose garbage area.
Now they are clearing a little bit more stone (yes I need more), then they will start searching for magma.
In the meantime, they find shell-opal.

Watching the dwarves hauling ass stone can get dull.
But even the children are helping out, plucking food from the fields and knocking down outta-date walls.

Still, I'm too afraid to push any sort of "Fast-Forward" button.
If I do, next thing you know migrants will spawn on top of corpses on top of ash, and everyone will be starving. So I still have a lot of micromanagement to do.

The megaproject pushes on.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21964 on: April 18, 2012, 06:29:52 am »

A quick way to find magma is to breach all the caverns until you find a tube, then go to the top of the tube and Wala!
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21965 on: April 18, 2012, 06:33:08 am »

Using DFhack, I know I'm swiming in limonite and native gold. Shame I don't have flux. 18 Z's down is an open magma tube in the first cavern layer It will be some time before I'll send anyone down though; Iplan to piss the elves off to no end: I've already clearcut half the map.

Population limitseems to be standing, but until mid summer I won't know for sure; No children so far, so once I train a few decently skilled soldiers and I have a few quaint little industries working I can reenable invaders and go to town.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21966 on: April 18, 2012, 06:33:58 am »

Using DFhack, I know I'm swiming in limonite and native gold. Shame I don't have flux. 18 Z's down is an open magma tube in the first cavern layer It will be some time before I'll send anyone down though; Iplan to piss the elves off to no end: I've already clearcut half the map.

Population limitseems to be standing, but until mid summer I won't know for sure; No children so far, so once I train a few decently skilled soldiers and I have a few quaint little industries working I can reenable invaders and go to town.

changevein LIMESTONE

:)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21967 on: April 18, 2012, 06:37:42 am »

Nah, I'm just gonna import straight steel and flux. I just used dfhack to see what I had and where a magam pipe was. Usually I'd have to go down several hundered Z's to get to magma, unless I embarked on a volcano.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21968 on: April 18, 2012, 06:40:00 am »

Nah, I'm just gonna import straight steel and flux. I just used dfhack to see what I had and where a magam pipe was. Usually I'd have to go down several hundered Z's to get to magma, unless I embarked on a volcano.
Code: [Select]
liquids
m

then just press enter wherever you want a 7/7 square of magma xD

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21969 on: April 18, 2012, 06:41:29 am »

Wow not even marbe down by the magma sea?

Haha, I always wanted to try a mineral-less deep soil or deep sandy embark....

Still trying to get that fort made out of brass, generated a few more worlds... here's to  finding the perfect embark.
I voted for BANANA!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21970 on: April 18, 2012, 08:55:48 am »

Our bookkeeper went fey and made a bobcat bone throne. I gave it to the mayor. One of our clothiers also finally got out of prison after not making short swords.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:59:42 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21971 on: April 18, 2012, 09:06:11 am »

I accidentally charged the wrong guy for murder and he was chained up for 150 days. He had a pet goat which stayed at his side as long as possible... they stayed together for weeks, starving for food and water, but he didn't eat his goat, no. He died with him like a best friend would. FML THIS GAME MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A BAD PERSON.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21972 on: April 18, 2012, 09:17:45 am »

In the "BlockedShafts" fortress, the poor men of "NeverTouched the Armored Awe-Inspiring Blue-Balls" are struggling to get set up with 21 migrants when suddenly 43 more turned up. Serously guys? I've barely even started... This is going to end in tantrums very soon, and very messy. I'm digging around a volcano and I just know the moment I start to use lava, somoene's gonna go nuts and flood the place
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21973 on: April 18, 2012, 09:35:56 am »

*MarcAFK Has entered a strange mood*
MarcAFK is screaming for materials.
I NEED have 250,000 steel bars.
I MUST have 100,000 wooden blocks.
I Want dozens of pieces of masterfully crafted furniture
I Require several hundred dwarven smiths and carpenters, a few engineers and lotsa haulers.
I DEMAND an embark minimum 6 squares across.
i MUST have high quality schematics of the Titanic.
*Works furiously*
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21974 on: April 18, 2012, 10:34:24 am »

one squad consisting of 2 sworddwarfs, 1 hammer dwarf, an axe dwarf and 3 pickaxe dwarfs and a squad of marksdwarfs have been formed and they are proudly defending the fort.

In addition to various traps ofcourse. Their main job is shooting animals that don't want to leave the map.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1463 1464 [1465] 1466 1467 ... 3842