Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1454 1455 [1456] 1457 1458 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109205 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21825 on: April 11, 2012, 06:36:08 pm »

And another wave of giant cockatiels. It seems the RNG loves to taunt me by sending continuous waves of the most fabulous birds ever in DF.

I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THESE MOTHERFUCKING COCKATIELS ON THAT MOTHERFUCKING FORTRESS !

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21826 on: April 11, 2012, 06:42:18 pm »

remove the cockateil's flier tae if they're up a good distance and enjoy the show.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21827 on: April 11, 2012, 06:48:34 pm »

Aaaaand they barely fly at all. 95% of the time they're on the ground, hopefully for my melee dwarves.

Seriously I killed 26 giant cockatiels and nearly 20 cockatiel men since the start of the fort two years ago. What's their pop number anyways ?

edit : 15 to 30 for giant cockatiels, 30 to 50 for cockatiel men. Armok damn it, i'm gonna need to kill more furries to get my good old GDS and camels to appear. Hell I would prefer buzzards to the waves of insects and cockatiels I am getting.

Also creeping eyes can appear in water, it seems. Never seen that.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:52:21 pm by Naryar »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21828 on: April 11, 2012, 08:15:17 pm »

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut

06) Green light a lot of things
07) Stomping the Learning Curb

Still autumn.

Bunnies are doing okay. A bunny birth of two little-er ones just happened.
They can use more pasture space once the evil tide recedes for a little bit.
My puppy-pet just grew into a full blown dog.
Best of all, my 4-way Migrant tubes are done. Now things can sneak onto the map and under it without becoming wolverine bait.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And wouldn't cha know it, the migrants arrive right now.
Even though the migrant tubes are done, the floodgates haven't been linked yet.
Gotta improvise.

The first migrant shows up, and squats right in place. Great.
The undead wolverines are on the other side of the map.
So I create a meeting hall in the nearest tube (on the migrant side), and draft the first migrant to station at that meeting area.
He moves, and two other migrants spawn and follow him to that meeting area.

One citizen has arrived, and she deconstructs the floodgate to let the migrants in.
Then, all the migrants are still stupid stuck in the meeting hall in the tube.
So I convert them to Masons and tell them to build walls deep in my fort. They finally start moving into my fort.

I have thusfar avoided any surface deaths !! This is good for the future of the fortress (the rabbits at least)
And in the last picture, you can see I have a lot of Cherry Opals in this fort (should mod in Cherry Blossoms too)
One of the Summer migrants was a Novice Jewller, so now he is working on wealth so I at least have something to trade with the dwarven caravan.

Very good.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:18:45 pm by ZzarkLinux »

crazywulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21829 on: April 11, 2012, 08:19:13 pm »

I have food stores of "200?", how much approximately would that last me with about 13 dwarves?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21830 on: April 11, 2012, 08:24:29 pm »

a few months, a year maybe. Assign a bookkeeper to a chair and he'll give you an adaquate tally on food.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21831 on: April 11, 2012, 09:14:07 pm »

I have food stores of "200?", how much approximately would that last me with about 13 dwarves?
Each dwarf needs two units of food per season. Two meals every season for each dwarf is 26 food per season four seasons in a year, you have about two years of food there (not counting the fact that some of that is seeds, 200? could be + or minus 49 meals and that you'll get migrants) 

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21832 on: April 11, 2012, 10:28:47 pm »

Started the fort, tantrum spiral has begun before winter even hit, the trade caravan's things were stolen, a feeding frenzy like you've never seen washed over the place. My dwarves were starving, since I can never seem to get food in any manner acceptable for my dwarves, hunting isn't doing it. This map will accomodate a farm and it's high time I made one, instead of piddling around with a broken waterfall. Leave it on for a minute and the residental block floods. Dining room is a sucess. A coffin is made, but a memorial is going to be required for a miner stuck inside the bowels of Giant Water Resivoir Sink For Waterfall.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21833 on: April 11, 2012, 11:09:40 pm »

The Suicide Falls fort (I just looked up its real name: Highbreach) looked suddenly better, because migrants finally showed up in the second spring. Went from five adults and two babies to 30 adults and two babies... and then one of the babies grew up to a child, making him slightly more useful. Great! Stuff started getting done. Already had 360+ prepared meals and 400+ booze by the time the migrants arrived, so the real focus was on doing something with all that rope weed thread I had, building a few more beds, setting up a hospital, and start digging down more, looking for coal or magma.

Oops! There might be an aquifer 10 levels down. I will have to explore more.

Oh oh! Weregopher showed up. Quickly took him out, but he killed both war dogs and three dwarves first. And one of the injured dwarves was infected (hadn't made soap yet... oh, and it looks like a pond turtle destroyed my well when I wasn't looking.) So he turned were and killed another dwarf before they took him out. There's another dwarf in the hospital, so I better rebuild the well and get that soap made...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21834 on: April 11, 2012, 11:13:39 pm »

My current civ is made of win.

It's domesticated dozens of giant animals, almost all cavern dwelling creatures, and appearently gremlins work as haulers for them. It's the smallest dwarf civ, and probably the most powerful if its knowledge isn't global.

Why?

A freaking stray Giant Cave Spider just arrivied ina migrant wave. A GIANT FREAKING CAVE SPIDER.

I can die happy now.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #21835 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:18 pm »

Not until you weaponize it.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21836 on: April 11, 2012, 11:16:40 pm »

Not until you weaponize it.

I made yaks and musk oxen trainable fearless nongrazers. You think I wont militarize that spider?

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #21837 on: April 11, 2012, 11:19:02 pm »

Keep the spider as a household pet, weaponize sheep.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #21838 on: April 11, 2012, 11:25:06 pm »

Make cows war trainable. Beware the Battle Cattle!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21839 on: April 11, 2012, 11:26:41 pm »

I won't lie, I was strongly considering it. A booze shortage has been averted thanks to dilligent plant gathering, the depot is up, mess hall being firchished, and gremlins proving the use of nondorf haulers.

Plus I'm positive if I get some quivers they'll start hunting whatever stumbles onto the map since they have natural ambusher skill.
Pages: 1 ... 1454 1455 [1456] 1457 1458 ... 3842