Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1453 1454 [1455] 1456 1457 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109186 times)

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21810 on: April 11, 2012, 04:55:47 pm »

Had seen a small flock of elk birds in the units list, and, not wanting another dwarf to die to an ambush, I sent my militia dwarf to kill them.

Unfortunatly, he seems to have needed to drop his steel spear so he could carry the logs he had been in the middle of bringing to the stockpile, so he ended up trying to use his bronze shield as a weapon, and is now recouperating in one of the beds, waiting for his leg to heal. It says he's quick to heal, and my woodworker had healed relativly quickly, so I hope he heals before he can get infected or anything.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21811 on: April 11, 2012, 04:59:41 pm »

Now some reshus macaques wanna say hi. My dogs are earning thier keep, having torn apart a pair of languars before and now killing a macaque by severing the motor nerves in its feet and severing the arteries in its neck. My exp. leader has become a novice wrestler, so he is now a reliable fighter to have. I may need an additional few buteries to keep pace with the corpese of animals piling up.

Also going to start liberally appying cage traps to capture snakes for a snake pit and get som above ground farming up.

Oh, and evidently an owl got inside the fort's forgeworks and a recruit obsidan sworded it to deal after biting off a foot.

EDIT: Welp, in an incident regard the last surviving monkey that managed to nab the exp. leader's axe, both the monkey, axe and a perfect army recruit(slow to tire, mighty, very agile, unbreakable will and heals very quickly) plummeted to thier deaths down the volcano. Oh, and he found adamantine on the way down. And the recruit wasn't a vamp; genned the world without them. perfect freaking recruit killed by a bad dodge.  :(

I believe it is/was someones sig: remarkable dwarf scouting ability while falling through magma.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
oooh, adamantine
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21812 on: April 11, 2012, 05:21:27 pm »

Who the hell cares about a possible clown car when they aren't seeking it? I can't even mine any of it cause that would result in amss melting of legendary (read: USEFUL) miners and I'm not in this for !!FUN!! cause I've been enjoying the monkey slaughter.

I was more disappointed by the loss of such an awesome recruit. But at least his wife wasn't there to see him die.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21813 on: April 11, 2012, 05:28:25 pm »

Okay, so the militia dwar has completely healed, but for some reason he is still considered wounded. Do I need to get him diagnosed or something? He's just sitting there, and I'd like for him to get back to learning civilian skills.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21814 on: April 11, 2012, 05:32:45 pm »

He may have a damaged motor nerve or need one last cleaning. in the former case he needs crutch.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21815 on: April 11, 2012, 05:38:32 pm »

Okay, so the militia dwar has completely healed, but for some reason he is still considered wounded. Do I need to get him diagnosed or something? He's just sitting there, and I'd like for him to get back to learning civilian skills.
If there isn't any pending treatment deconstruct the bed, the shock of being dropped on his ass should get him back to work.

crazywulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21816 on: April 11, 2012, 05:39:03 pm »

It's my 3rd fort and I'm digging bedrooms. I'm also trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my failed aqueduct system, I ruined it because I discovered native gold within it, so destroyed it getting to get to said gold

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21817 on: April 11, 2012, 05:39:27 pm »

He may have a damaged motor nerve or need one last cleaning. in the former case he needs crutch.

But what confuses me is that my woodworker had gotten the same wound, and yet he was able to continue walking around and doing his job, all the while the wound slowly healing.

The militia dwarf, on the other hand, needed to rest in a bed, and still is even after it healed, although your explanation makes sense.

So, do I need him diagnosed for him to be issued a crutch, or can I just assign him one?

If there isn't any pending treatment deconstruct the bed, the shock of being dropped on his ass should get him back to work.

Tried to do that, and the dwarves simply set him in another bed.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21818 on: April 11, 2012, 05:42:21 pm »

check the health screen then. if it shows standing impared the docs need to issue him a crutch.

The woodworker may have suffered a similar wound but not a damaged nerve. Soldiers seem far more prone to suffering nerve damage.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21819 on: April 11, 2012, 05:46:00 pm »

But what confuses me is that my woodworker had gotten the same wound, and yet he was able to continue walking around and doing his job, all the while the wound slowly healing.

The militia dwarf, on the other hand, needed to rest in a bed, and still is even after it healed, although your explanation makes sense.

So, do I need him diagnosed for him to be issued a crutch, or can I just assign him one?

Tried to do that, and the dwarves simply set him in another bed.
That's odd, I've never seen a dwarf take an injured dwarf to bed after they were brought to bed. It should say "crutch required" or "splint required" or any treatments that are necessary.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21820 on: April 11, 2012, 05:49:38 pm »

I've made my expedition leader my chief medical dwarf since I couldn't find anyone with diagnostic skills and he liked helping others, and it turns out, yes, he needs a crutch.

So, can he still use a spear and shield at the same time while using a crutch?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm unfamilier with health related duties.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:57:08 pm by Orky_Boss »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21821 on: April 11, 2012, 05:59:58 pm »

If it's motor nerve damage, I don't know. He might not be able to use a shield anymore. Otherwise he'll use it till the injury is completely healed (bone damage and such.)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21822 on: April 11, 2012, 06:00:56 pm »

Engraver went possessed (grrrr), took 1 magnetite, wood, lots and lots of cloth, and made a magnetite crown, encircled with bands of oval magnetite cabochons (WTF ??). It also menaces with spikes of parakeet man leather, alpaca wool and GCS silk. It has images of forgotten beasts in fungiwood, as well as an image in pig tail fiber of one of my soldiers striking down a kobold thief.

It's utterly useless, yes... but not only it's pretty badass-looking, it also depicts a kobold being slain ! All the better.

Edit : also the FUCK is with cockatiels in this fort ? easily 50% of the giant birds and bird men I get are cockatiels. Well, time for my axedwarf to familiarize itself more with it's brand new -adamantine battle axe-.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:12:08 pm by Naryar »

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21823 on: April 11, 2012, 06:11:09 pm »

The Militia Commander has recieved his crutch and is now learning how to be an effective farmer. It seems the steel spear was somehow lost, because it wasn't on the specific weapons list, only a steel battle axe, which I plan to melt and use to forge a new spear.

Oh, and migrants.

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21824 on: April 11, 2012, 06:23:53 pm »

Crazedcities has yet to live up to its name.

That's mainly my fault; I purposely shut off invaders so I can get everything set up and get comfortable with the new version. Particularly, I wanted to get used to the new animal training.

To that end, I put a row of cages along the main road. I've caught six giant badgers, three wolverine men (well, two men and a woman), a kestrel, an opossum, and a giant weasel.

The safest method appears to be to train a wild animal in a cage, and only let them into a pasture when they're at least (Trained). Letting them out when they're still (Semi-Wild) can lead to unwanted appendage removal (as one of my animal trainers discovered).

I've established a burrow that houses just my two animal trainers. The haulers, who are not similarly restricted, bring booze and food to them. Funnily enough, I forgot to check relationships when I burrowed them - both of them are married, and their spouses come to visit them regularly. Since I had set up separate bedrooms before I had established the burrow, the spouses go off to sleep in their own beds while the trainers sleep in the burrow.

Burrowing the trainers seems to keep them mostly focused on the animals, though they prefer to stay in their rooms away from the pasture until they're needed. I can't say I blame them; I have no idea what a giant badger smells like, but all that concentrated animal funk in one place can't be good for you.

I want to tuck the animal trainers deep beneath the earth, preferably below the cavern layer, but I can't get moss to grow. I've punctured the caverns, but all of them just have mud. Strangely, the loamy sand (at Z-1) will grow moss, but not the freshly flooded area for my farms (Z-50). No idea what's going on there.

In other news, I only just found limonite in the third year. It turns out it was all in the top layers of the mountain. I conscripted the haulers to carry it down to the forges, and they've begun the steel industry.

Hit a few gold veins, and made the mistake of stockpiling the native gold ore too close to my stoneworkers. Next thing I know, I have sixteen native gold beds. Looks like my custom reaction for stone furniture needs a little tweaking.

One ore that hasn't been lacking is copper; it's in every layer, and I can't dig two squares without hitting another vein. No tin or zinc, though, so it's just plain 'ol copper. I'm churning out copper bolts by the truckload for my marksdwarves; unless they're supremely bad shots, the stacks should last until the turn of the century.

Marksdwarves are training away, but it's slow going. It turns out the fastest way to train them was to send them after the wolverine men, herding them into the traps. They let off more shots per second vs enemies than they will vs an archery target. The melee militia has been training incredibly slowly, as well, or maybe I'm just used to danger rooms. So now I'm wondering if I should let loose against the next animal herd that comes through, or if I should keep up the animal training experiments.

As soon as the steel supplies are in good standing, I'll turn on invaders and see what happens. I expect a huge siege from the Goblins. I don't know if I'm quite ready for that, but what the hell.
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.
Pages: 1 ... 1453 1454 [1455] 1456 1457 ... 3842