Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1442 1443 [1444] 1445 1446 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108477 times)

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21645 on: April 06, 2012, 11:20:53 am »

I thought children ignored burrows?

Well they certainly do sometimes, from what I can see they seem to "kind of" follow them, if and when they want to...

They often wander off following some dwarf or somesuch, but they don't seem to go spelunking alone in the caverns anymore, so I guess mission accomplished.  :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21646 on: April 06, 2012, 11:28:20 am »

Children don't REALLY ignore burrows. My understanding of burrows is that dwarves won't do a job outside of them, since children generally don't have jobs they don't go rushing into them to do something. If you assign a child to a burrow and order a tile deconstructed outside of it they'll honor the burrow, the fact that they occasionally putz around outside even though you told them to stop is probably more because they're idle than it is that they don't honor burrows.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21647 on: April 06, 2012, 11:31:36 am »

this bug has to do with a dwarf assigned to a burrow that gets a strange mood. Doesn't ask wether they actually obey the burrow.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21648 on: April 06, 2012, 11:39:24 am »

Children don't REALLY ignore burrows. My understanding of burrows is that dwarves won't do a job outside of them, since children generally don't have jobs they don't go rushing into them to do something. If you assign a child to a burrow and order a tile deconstructed outside of it they'll honor the burrow, the fact that they occasionally putz around outside even though you told them to stop is probably more because they're idle than it is that they don't honor burrows.

Ah, that makes it alot clearer, thanks. This my first real attempt to use burrows, I'm attempting to get several generations of dwarves going, so I was trying to curtail the childrens' habits of frolicking with crundles in the depths.  :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21649 on: April 06, 2012, 11:59:31 am »

I learned the value of grates over lava when using pumps to pressurize.  Magma crabs are more than happy to traverse a pump to get into the fort.   :o

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21650 on: April 06, 2012, 12:27:56 pm »

Do caged animals still see what's within their 3x3 cube? Can it be used as an alert system?
I ask because I've got a 5-wide bridge.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21651 on: April 06, 2012, 02:10:55 pm »

Started a new fort called "Holyhammer of Smithing" which is governed by "The Killer of Demons", under the Civilization called "The Persuasive Lash". I guess my king is fond of torture.

Right now everyone is having a drinking break around the wagon after setting up some of the workshops, building a farm for plump helmets, and setting up an area for the meeting hall.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21652 on: April 06, 2012, 02:39:28 pm »

Making a pyramid out of the melted down weapons and armours of my enemies.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21653 on: April 06, 2012, 02:52:57 pm »

Started a new fort on the border of good and evil. So, feather trees and eyeballs.
It is a small 4x4 temperate zone with a brook in the middle. It is rather uninspiring, I don't really know what to do with it. Currently have the dwarves in a 10x10 shaft as they dig down to the magma.

Due to migrants, the population is up to 23. One of those migrants went fey as soon as he entered the map and made a horse bone training spear. And a child keeps cancels eating in order to rest an injury, which doesn't show up on his health screen; and whenever the CMD goes to diagnose him, the child is not resting.

A turkey has gone missing and an orgy of giant peach-faced lovebirds have just entered the map. I don't know what they are, their description just says they are huge monsters.

Also, for world gen I set the number of titans to be 2000, so hopefully we will get some interesting visitors. And the king of my civ began his reign in 283 for a 1050 year world gen.
Looking at my dwarves deities, I noticed that someone was cursed to be a wereskunk, and one of my dwarves is a causal worshiper of Desis and a faithful worshiper of Desis, a female sparrow of plants and dreams.

EDIT: I finished digging to the bottom of the world. Apparently, I missed all of the caverns and the magma.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:11:21 pm by McDwarf »

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21654 on: April 06, 2012, 03:44:17 pm »

The fort I have just started had this happen as the first thing that popped up when I embarked:

Warning! A section of the cavern has collapsed!

It showed a hidden area, and further investigation showed it was at the z-level 88, and when I go to the unit list, I see on the list:

Zombie Worker Ant Woman: Deceased

So, assuming these two things are related, there is an Ant man colony somewhere around z-level 88 that is having a Zombie problem.

It's about 48 z-levels below the surface, so I don't think I should worry, but I think I'll need my military to search the area when I inevitably dig down there.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21655 on: April 06, 2012, 04:36:48 pm »

Started a new fort.

Civilisation named "The Charcoal Mechanisms"
Fortress named "Blazegates"
Group named "The Gear of Kindling"

This is bound to turn out well.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21656 on: April 06, 2012, 04:52:01 pm »

Gobbo siege. Seems more determined than the first. First siege was 18 sword and one archer on a bat. No problem whatsoever.

This was 63 strong goblin force of swords, pikes, a master lasher, elite crossbow and elite archer. All mounted on olms, jabberers and rutherers.

With, additionally, a group of unridden jabberers.

I station my now 8-strong shooter militia, forbid fishing, flip up the bridge.

One second later, there goblin force has grown to a hundred strong. I go up one level to see if it would be a good idea to station my shooters on the walls.

Then I see them. Goblin Chiropterists. War bat-mounted goblins. Over my fort. Badasssssss.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21657 on: April 06, 2012, 04:56:40 pm »

HAHA, I knew it was a good idea to leave that cow calf outside my bunker. The winter wolves were unable to catch it running, and eventually a devilish vapor cloud turned it into a ZOMBIE which in turn butchered the wolves.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21658 on: April 06, 2012, 05:00:51 pm »

Goblin bat-rider. Wounded. It's 7 z-levels above ground. His bat is faint. Bat gets a headshot.

SMACK goes the goblin!

The batriders caused a lot of havoc and panic, scaring my farmers, children and cave crocodile young to the walls and their elite crossbow had been waiting below them and has killed a child and is torturing another to death via bolts.

edit: goddamn, I hadn't even noticed but my militia commander (chief of the poorly armored but well armed melee militia) has been killed in combat.

Bastard was legendary stonecrafter, my broker, my manager, my record keeper, my militia commander and a decent swordsdwarf!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:03:39 pm by AWdeV »
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21659 on: April 06, 2012, 05:10:05 pm »

So, I have more than one engraver, but this one, named Mebtob, seems to take it upon herself to take on ALL the engraving designations I assign.  And she's pretty skilled and no one seems to mind her carvings, which are mostly of random things, like clouds.

Well, I designated a couple of pillars to be engraved in my cemetary and Mebtob went in to carve 3 out of the four tiles.  But then, this random guy, who I have never seen smooth or engrave anything (despite a decently high skill) commandeers the fourth tile and engraves a depiction of our expedition leader lovingly embracing a monitor-lizard man.  INAPPRORIATE!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:12:39 pm by Hamsmagoo »
Pages: 1 ... 1442 1443 [1444] 1445 1446 ... 3842