Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1437 1438 [1439] 1440 1441 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108289 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21570 on: April 03, 2012, 06:50:10 am »

Heh, the hermit fort I built was ruined when an angry ghost ripped my hermit's leg off.

To be on the safe side, prepare slabs.  Especially if a lot of people died angry and violently. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #21571 on: April 03, 2012, 07:05:44 am »

Also, little question, I'm starting up a surface fort, how do I:

make a roof?

Farm aboveground ( I guess I know how to do it, but what should I plant? )

best construct a militia? 

Any tips? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #21572 on: April 03, 2012, 07:39:17 am »

make a roof?

Any tips?

To make a roof, just build a floor on top of the walls of your top floor. To farm aboveground, harvest plants (gathering, rather) for seeds and grow strawberries, strawberries seem the best. Can make strawberry wine out of them, or eat them raw, or cook 'em. For the militia, I would first off build a wall, maybe a moat too, and otherwise train the militia the same, perhaps more marksdwarves than usual. You'll probably have to rely on the army more than in a normal fortress though, cause when the gobbos get flying mounts you aren't going to stop them with a wall, unless you make your above ground fortress inside a huge building (which, by the way, would be the dwarfy thing to do).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21573 on: April 03, 2012, 07:41:52 am »

make a roof?

Any tips?
To roof your fort you need a stairwell that leads to the top of the perimeter wall. Just build a floor over every open space.

If you want symmetrical plots dig a hole in your roof with the same dimensions the plot will be and designate every square above a non-farmable square as a pond, your dwarves will throw water on it and make it muddy so you can make nice even farm plots. You should gather plants to get your seeds and then focus on fisher/prickle/straw berries for food and booze and rope reed for cloth.

Above ground militia is no different than below ground militia, designate the squads to wear full armor and carry an individual melee weapon or crossbows (no mixing) they'll pick up the weapon they're best at and go kick ass when you tell them to. If you can build an area with traps and dogs to station your guys in then open the doors for the enemy, that way your whole squad is fighting instead of the two guys who outran everyone else.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #21574 on: April 03, 2012, 07:49:01 am »

Crap, I forgot to consider that migrants will be related to my fortress dwellers, and they won't appreciate their children and siblings starving and going berserk above them... gonna have to scrap this one if the tantrums continue.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #21575 on: April 03, 2012, 12:01:18 pm »

Crap, I forgot to consider that migrants will be related to my fortress dwellers, and they won't appreciate their children and siblings starving and going berserk above them... gonna have to scrap this one if the tantrums continue.

i realized that the day a siege came and i holed myself in.
migrant wave came.
...the legendary axelord didn't take it well to see his pops and his momma torn apart by a goblin lasher.

Toady has unleashed upon us a dreaded thing: "No more can you shun away migrants!"
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21576 on: April 03, 2012, 12:08:09 pm »

So, pop-quiz:

What unarmoured fleshy beast can resist the poison of a GCS?

a) a roc.
b) a dwarf.
c) a giant hedgehog.

If you answered d) not a damn thing, then by gum you've won the prize!

I'd edited the pet_exotic tags for subterranean critters and a war giant cave spider showed up in a migration wave. I also had some cave crocs, some rats and some bats. All war. Then a roc showed up. It harassed some dwarfs, forcing me to pause a building project (a kill-tower), fought a pet giant bat, got webbed, got poisoned and what followed was 80-odd pages of beating, kicking and pushing (marksdwarfs sans crossbows/bolts), biting (spider, giant rats/bats, war cave croc), shooting (marksdwarves), and lots and lots of webbing. It overcame its paralysis at least once but by that time it was already unconcious, over-exerted and nauseous.

I eventually formed a small second militia squad and armed them with the two bought steel shortswords and a black bronze morningstar to speed up its demise. That helped.

My food stocks grew by 101 roc tallow and, specifically, my meat stock grew from 50 to 908 (!).

Now to set my 7-year old legendary bone carver to work on its skull and bones and I'll have one goddamn swanky totem and some classy giant bolts.

Tame GCS now web and poison as they should, btw. Hella sweet. I hope the pet bat survives. It's pale, missing a paw, has a fractured stomach and other such cheeriness.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21577 on: April 03, 2012, 12:28:56 pm »

It seems my fort can confidently fight off nearly any reasonable threat. I've got a brook, as well as dolomite, sand, kaolinite, and coal aplenty. Massive amounts of wood and clay can be imported relatively easily. I haven't even touched the caverns yet, so there's no telling what riches can be found there.

It's Project Time! I'm thinking of building a blitzball stadium, using clear glass blocks for the sphere pool, dolomite for the stands and general structure, and maybe porcelain for decorations like statues. And then I could pit goblins against elves or something, and see who drowns first blitzes better.

Bah, the moment I say this, a goblin siege shows up lead by their leader: a Skinless Fiend Administrator with deadly dust. The dust itself doesn't seem to have any particular disease, but it was shot out at both extreme cold and extreme hot temperatures. Half my crossbow squad died from bleeding and severe full-body blistering, along with 9 of a cheap recruit squad. None of the other dwarves exposed to the dust have shown any other symptoms, except two or three messages about "Urist cancels job: Unconscious", but that might have been them being injured.

The rest of the siege was pretty much easy, due to the large number of cage traps automated blitzball recruiting kiosks I placed down just before the siege. Still had to start an expansion of the public mausoleum, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21578 on: April 03, 2012, 04:13:35 pm »

Ambushed an elf caravan, killed their animals, siezed their wares, murdered the man, captured the woman and tied her up in the dining hall. She's gone stark raving mad and has begun to do a strip show for the dwarves.

It's absurd how hilariously depraved this game is.

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21579 on: April 03, 2012, 04:44:38 pm »

Lighttunnels has fallen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In the end, I think my mistake was making lavish meals to increase happiness. They also increased the value of my fortress, which called the attention of a titan and the nearby goblin tower.

Now to start up a new fortress in the new version. The name it gives me is ... Crazedcities.

This should be fun.
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21580 on: April 03, 2012, 06:46:02 pm »

New embark,everything proceeding according to plan until I try to chop down trees.
Nope, they won't do it.  Give them the labor, nope.  Make them new axes, nope.  redefine a new burrow, nope.  Grow trees underground, nope. 

Wait until caravan comes, buy logs.  They're happy to haul the logs, make them into beds.  But no way no how will they chop down trees.  They're definitely dwarves, not elves.  I'm at a complete loss.  I guess I'm going to have to trade to get all my wood, despite embarking in a broadleaf forest. :(

I can designate them, they highlight, but they just won't do it.  Three new waves of migrants now, and they're all the same.  Mining, sure. carpentry, sure. metal working yep, everything else works, even planting, plant processing, weaving, clothesmaking.  No chopping down trees.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21581 on: April 03, 2012, 06:58:05 pm »

The Great Rabbit-Hut
Founded by The Bronze Grains

01) The Embark - What happened??
02) A Fresh Start Means Crossing your Fingers
03) It almost feels like cheating, and like Yak Management
04) Our only skeleton is an Industry Framework
05) Summer arrives
06) Live a nobody, Die a nobo... massacre
07) Summer's end barbeque
08) Autumn - Watch for Falling Undead

I notice that one of the undead dwarves is roaming on the roof of my bunker.
Ruby's corpse is isolated up there (everything else is around the map edge).
If I want to keep the surface under control, now might be a good time to bring her down.

Check Military's thoughts.
Two are ecstatic and one is happy.
Green light.

The fight spills down my entrance ramp into the livestock courtyard.
But the wrestlers overcome the corpse with no injuries.

Taking Ruby's dead body to the dump goes well.
She does get stuck in the chute for a little bit, but the hatch eventually works.

There are Giant Wrens (alive) outside.
They are now approaching the central entrance hatch.
I guess my team timed the corpse-napping perfectly.

Sweet
Bessy from the old migrant wave is still alive.
Since I opened the Hatch, she is now wandering towards my fort and meeting hall.

She wants to donate her meat to our cause!
! Blessed Bessy !

The first undead has risen in our garbage compactor.
Ruby's corpse is risen and now cristens our garbage collection with undeath.
The Reindeer Skin from earlier is no longer shy, and it too eventually rises.
Finally. I can't wait to pit live things down there.

A fresh bunny is born !
Good that it's only one, cause that pet alpaca is starting to destroy my delicate pasture,
and I need to keep my animal count low.

Hmm, DF won't let me toss the grass-devourer pet into a pit.
Guess I'll eventually just turn it lose on the topsoil and let nature take its course...

Time for cow meat.
Military is one content, one happy, one ecstatic.
So I cover my bases and make bedrooms for the girls who dutifully serve.
They've earned it.

Assemble the burrows and laborers and cow for tactical tasty extraction.

Note on burrows:
To haul meat, even if you have burrowed a food stockpile, dwarves will still
prefer your first food stockpile/barrels, and cancel the hauling task.
Even if you have burrowed another food stockpile...

The cow hair rises, and the fight goes very easy.
Every single punch from my militia severed one of the limbs of the cow-hair
Toady must have changed something, Hair is much less durable, and none of my attacks passed-through the target.
Now there are Hair pieces refuse everywhere on the floor.
To the dump/undead pasture with you !

So now I go to check outside.
Hmm, it seems I do get rain after all.
It only appears in the southeast biome, but it's still there.

Oh God No !

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21582 on: April 03, 2012, 10:33:58 pm »

The anti vampire dorms are a great success.  One taken down wall between a dormintory and a meeting hall, a few green glass windows and the sacrifice of one useless farmer and I got to enjoy the amusing sight of the entire meeting hall draining out and piling into the captain of the guard's bedroom while he slept.  21 witnesses, and I don't even think they all finished reporting yet.

Maybe my sword modded executioner will use that shiny alpaca bone greatsword...

EDIT: I just happened across a second vampire.  Same place, this time my mayor.  He says he's conducting a meeting...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:48:24 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21583 on: April 04, 2012, 06:45:21 am »

Anvilring has been shelved for now.  I may take it off the shelf after a while to try out things like "Forgotten Beast extract-induced tantrum spiral," or simply to test out how to deal with syndromes after they've gotten all over your fort.  I might also use it to try out a reclaim or visit there in adventurer mode and grab armfuls of masterwork/artifact weapons.

Hence the new 34.07 fortress, "Trapdeath the Screams of Artifice," has been born.  It's settled between a couple of tropical biomes (savanna? grassland? shrubland? something like that).  There's a stream, and my fisherdwarf brings in mussels frequently.  My dwarves have trapped and have been training wild boars (ivory!), gray langurs, and giant horned owls.  "General familiarity" in all three at this point, I think.  I got a kakapo (a kind of parrot) from the elves, so plenty of interesting eggs for omelettes.  (Currently:  duck eggs, blue peafowl eggs, turkey eggs, goose eggs, chicken eggs, guineahen eggs, kakapo eggs, and giant horned owl eggs. I need more.)

I'm hoping to acquire a breeding pair of kangaroos and a pair of dingoes.  (Why are kangaroos milkable?  They're marsupials... I mean, they don't have proper udders, do they?)  Every now and then, a kingsnake, a mamba, or some other snake slithers around the zone, so I'm hoping to try breeding some sort of snake as well.

I have exactly one dedicated hunter and one dedicated fisherdwarf (and I turn off those labors in additional migrants), so I'm hoping I won't deplete the zone of wildlife too quickly.

As per the fortress name, I'm hoping to come up with more traps, more exotic and complicated traps, and of course more terrifying traps.  Being able to quarantine parts of the fortress from each other (particularly the caverns and the medical section) will hopefully be an intrinsic part of this fortress design.

In terms of minerals, this zone has a good selection.  Tons and tons of limestone.  Magnetite for iron.  Malachite for copper.  Also galena for lead, and a little bit of platinum.  I'm annoyed by the apparent absence of sand in this biome; gotta have green glass serrated glass discs.  In large numbers.  Not sure what the caverns have yet.  Once I have more squads in full steel armor, I'll go exploring.

The elves brought me sun berry seeds, but I can't plant them yet due to a bug.  I think if I buy the sun berry alcohol next time the elven traders show up, or some sun berries, I might be able to plant the seeds.  (I now wonder:  is there any civilization in a non-modded game that would bring in silver barbs to trade?)

No sieges yet.  Just kobolds and some goblin thieves, and one ambush.  The majority of my migrants have military skills, usually at Competent.  I don't think I've gotten a single miner as a migrant yet.  Weird.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #21584 on: April 04, 2012, 09:30:34 am »

Made a new fort, last one failed, this time the fort was intended to be a normal fort, underground, everything, except that my only goal was to reach adamantine.  Nothing less.

So I set basic farming, some workshops, stockpiles, beds, etc, then I had my two minders dig straight down.  Hit a few caverns, worked my way around them, until I heard the "praise the miners" message.  I had my miner work his or her way over there...only to get killed by a troglodyte.   

No biggie right?  Well, the troggs and the crundles kept walking up the stairway to the center of the Earth that I had built.  I built a ramshackle militia, no weapons, just fists, and by working 3 against 1, I think they actually managed to kill a trogg. 

Then I accidentally shut down my computer.  The save reverted to the point where I had barely started digging. 

Ah well. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
Pages: 1 ... 1437 1438 [1439] 1440 1441 ... 3842