Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1436 1437 [1438] 1439 1440 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108153 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21555 on: April 02, 2012, 06:54:49 pm »

I just discovered that unlike all other dwarfs/times in the game, which can be set to do any task, and will attempt it, embark Dwarves will not mine without one point in the Mining skill.  Oh, they'll gladly start Carpentry, Wood Cutting, *crafting, *forging, furnace operating without a care in the world at zero experience, but not Mining, by Armok!

This discovery lead to a rather... short lived embark.  :D  Strike the... errr... no, no we're not going to do that.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21556 on: April 02, 2012, 06:59:32 pm »

The Great Rabbit-Hut
Founded by The Bronze Grains

01) The Embark - What happened??
02) A Fresh Start Means Crossing your Fingers
03) It almost feels like cheating, and like Yak Management
04) Our only skeleton is an Industry Framework
05) Summer arrives
06) Live a nobody, Die a nobo... massacre
07) Summer's end barbeque

So things are going steady, most dwarves are perpetually busy, with Masons taking a break every now and then.
In fact, I think Mizore may need to be axed approached in the future.
She seems to take breaks a long time, and she is slow to pick up hauling tasks.
I guess I should check for lazy thoughts.

Any my garbage chute is done !
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just in time, I have some livestock that needs management.
I setup my butcher isolation area, set some burrows, and get ready for another food run.

Suprisingly, the first run goes very weird.
My dwarves refuse to butcher the Reindeer -> Add the Reindeer's square to the burrow.
My dwarves refuse to haul the food -> Add the food stockpile to the burrow.
But all is for naught, the Reindeer skin rises from the meat-slicer the instant it is butchered !
The butcher wisely flees directly out of the room.

Okay, you know what?
Reindeer are smaller than Yaks, and this is a butchered reindeer skin.
I'm gonna station my wrestlers there to manhandle the damm thing.

First, check my militia happiness. One is very happy, rest are ecstatic.
Very good, time for some head-games with undead.

Actually, it goes very well. Wrestlers manage it well.
The Reindeer skin only gets a push attack off on my broker, and even that is deflected by the broker's leather robe.

The skin lie still in the doorway.
It has learned it's lesson from the first time not to talk back.
But as Eminem song goes
But you promised her, next time you'll show restraint.
You don't get another chance.
Life is no Nintendo game

So it's off the the garbage chute for you.
It even stains the chute going down.
Success !

Other than that, everything is quite peaceful for the summer.
Wrestlers suplex, planters get warts, rock becomes relevant, and booze gets diversified.

I even check outside, things seem calm enough to continue walling a little bit.
The masons go out.

Very good, so send them out on a second run, but one of the corpses starts wandering towards us,
so I cancel those jobs before they begin.

And that little note means Autumn has arrived.

Luzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21557 on: April 02, 2012, 07:37:47 pm »

How odd. Apparently the local "humans" have several goblin nobles, as well as a few without a listed race.

I think I'll start murdering their caravans.

The local vampire also appears to be particularly inept; he mines very slowly and I've been noticing pale dwarves walking around with no listed injuries.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:39:52 pm by Luzahn »

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21558 on: April 02, 2012, 08:07:00 pm »

A massive goblin siege and a necromancer siege arrived simultaneously.

For once, the necros won. The victors eventually retreated and took the zombies they brought with them, but they left behind the formidable reanimated siege. As I was typing, I also realized I'd locked the elves in the trade depot to keep them from merrily skipping into the undead army and never remembered to let them out. Oops.

So, I dug to magma hoping to find a fire imp or something so I could unleash the flames and ignite the zombies. So far, just useless magma crabs and oh gee look at all this easily available candy without the usual defenses.

My ADD playstyle has finally paid off! Soon, the recruits will be trained and candy-coated. Epic battle will commence!

Trying to decide if it's crueler to let the elves out or not, and whether I'm trying to maximize or minimize cruelty...

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Luzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21559 on: April 02, 2012, 08:29:14 pm »

How unfortunate. It appears this cavern layer is bugged with half-filling, lag-producing water.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21560 on: April 02, 2012, 08:43:44 pm »

My wonderful little embark had a day to be F*^&!#$ ECSTATIC about.

First, the population soars to 24 by autumn, so I'm able to produce artifacts. They begin to flow; a migrant blacksmith has a fey mood and produces a billon barrel during the summer. Cool new dyer's shop Then my Head Woodsdwarf goes fey, and immediately claims and begins working in the carpenter's shop he's already working from. Immediately afterward, a Tundra titan arrives! She aims for the newborn militia while the others hide inside the structure the farms are in, where I wall them in. The titan is very soon put down, but not before knocking a dwarf into a wall, killing him right infront of his mother! The good news? The Head Woodsman produces a casket. Must have had a vision of the future... The casket was immediately built down below the farm areas and the dead dwarf interred therein. I should make it a statue garden and hope his mother gets some happy thoguhts from the coffin and billon statues.

Onward and outward, dwarves!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #21561 on: April 02, 2012, 09:01:02 pm »

TRYING to tame some bears.
I LOST THE GAME

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21562 on: April 02, 2012, 10:15:53 pm »

I just discovered that unlike all other dwarfs/times in the game, which can be set to do any task, and will attempt it, embark Dwarves will not mine without one point in the Mining skill.
Something else must have been going on. I've embarked with all-peasant settlers and they mine just fine, as long as the Mining task is enabled, they have picks, and they can reach the designated areas.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21563 on: April 02, 2012, 11:32:21 pm »

I just discovered that unlike all other dwarfs/times in the game, which can be set to do any task, and will attempt it, embark Dwarves will not mine without one point in the Mining skill.
Something else must have been going on. I've embarked with all-peasant settlers and they mine just fine, as long as the Mining task is enabled, they have picks, and they can reach the designated areas.

I tried it again to replicate the situation.  I gave one dwarf one point in mining.  He happily mined.  The other 6 just stood there.  7 picks available.  34.06, replicated twice.  Two entirely new gen'd worlds.  (and I ensured they all were set to have the mining labor enabled)

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21564 on: April 03, 2012, 12:07:15 am »

I tried it again to replicate the situation.  I gave one dwarf one point in mining.  He happily mined.  The other 6 just stood there.  7 picks available.  34.06, replicated twice.  Two entirely new gen'd worlds.  (and I ensured they all were set to have the mining labor enabled)
I don't recall having that problem in 34.06. Just tried it in 34.07 with peasants (no skills.) All seven mine happily.

I'm new enough to the game that I can't tell you what would cause that, but maybe there's a mod conflict or damaged raws of some kind? Try DLing 34.07 to a new folder and see if the problem persists in an off-the-shelf copy of the game.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21565 on: April 03, 2012, 01:41:04 am »

How unfortunate. It appears this cavern layer is bugged with half-filling, lag-producing water.
Remember to upload save to http://dffd.wimbli.com/ and report a bug on http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21566 on: April 03, 2012, 05:09:52 am »

I just had a similar issue. 2 picks, 2 miners, but when I went to swap the old-miner-dwarf with a new one, the old-miner-dwarf refused to drop the pick.
Solution was to conscript him into the military, which I assume "fixed" his uniform and allowed him to drop the pick.

So I'd say conscript the starting dwarves as wrestlers, then free from military, and then see if they start mining.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21567 on: April 03, 2012, 05:37:58 am »

So I got a spoilerite sword with diamonds on it. I mean a lot of diamonds, thing's worth like 3 million db. It's even called "The Blue Violator" which is mind blowingly good. But nobody's going to pick it up for some reason. Oh well, weapon pedestal(trap) to impress people in the dining room I guess.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21568 on: April 03, 2012, 06:32:20 am »

So I roofed over most of the embark for safety reasons. Next objective: cage traps everywhere on top, catch them flying wildlife.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #21569 on: April 03, 2012, 06:38:23 am »

Just started a kinda hermit fort (one year to get migrants and supplies from the first caravan, then walled off the entrance). And topside, right after the entrance is walled off, twenty of the most useful migrants I've ever had show up. Too bad they're all going beserk now and killing each other.

If a ghost comes back but had no interactions with your fort or anyone in it, do I need to bother carving a memorial slab? Will it bother attacking or disturbing my fortress having never been there, or will it just stay on the surface forever?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.
Pages: 1 ... 1436 1437 [1438] 1439 1440 ... 3842