Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1432 1433 [1434] 1435 1436 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107821 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21495 on: April 01, 2012, 12:48:00 pm »

Today I learned that a former outpost liaison, after losing their job due to that bug, can then immigrate to your fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21496 on: April 01, 2012, 01:17:06 pm »

due to me cycling people in and out of jobs, my fort is bursting with legendary miners, cooks, great farmers and clothesmakers, carpenters and pretty much anything but fishers. The greatest is that almost everyone is great at several things, and I'm peacefully increasing their skills untill the moment where I'm having elite everythings in this fort. Or fps death, which probably comes first.

It is however my most secure fort ever. Most of the surface is covered by a 2 story high block, the upper story has fortifications carved in it. The whole thing is roofed over. Two tunnels, going east and west, give access to the real entrance. With a fort where anyone who gets idle has to do archery practice, making the tunnels and the entrance a killing field, even if it wasn't heavily trapped. The same goes for the lower caverns, anything coming in from there will set off a variety of alerts and traps. The only worry is gremlins, but there are about 30 war dogs available for guard stations.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21497 on: April 01, 2012, 01:46:25 pm »

A) tried using a screw pump. didn't work because the windmill refused to provide power to it (windmill was turning, I removed the central tile it was on that was above my screw pump, tried both tiles of my screw pump)

Does the windmill have enough power? t-over-it.
Build a gear assembly under the windmill, that should work.
But then the gear will absorb some power.

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21498 on: April 01, 2012, 02:16:44 pm »

... And the curse continues... Well kinda.

So, previous fortress was effectively "overwhelmingly fun," so I started a new one: Kordesor *Cavernentrances*

I learned quite bit from the last attempt, and things finally seem to be coming together for a fun-filled 1st time excursion into the caverns. Now, this is where the "curse" part comes in... Last time I had a little vamp problem. Well, this time... I have 4. The 1st is now my main lever-room operator, the 2nd however... well that kinda required an early coup... turns out he was the first elected mayor. However, joy of joys, the rest of the dwarfs accepted my replacement choice of their long-time manager and original leader. I should also note that the first two took one legendary miner a piece before I was able to contain them. The other two... well, wouldn't ya know it? The 3rd was one of the new miners I was training to replace the losses to my mining corps caused by the earlier vamps. *facepalm* FUN! And the 4th, well HE turned out to be a the lone survivor of the past two migrant waves... who happened to be locked outside and starving to death because I wasn't opening up for ANYONE (well, except for that caravan... that got "trapped" by accident... until I could go in and claim all the stuff...). He also got let in because his skill list looked useful (and my food supply had stabilized again from the last large wave that caused me to go into lockdown). Did I mention that there was a lone horse survivor from the caravan? It slaughtered 3 more of my miners before I could put it down. At least I need to keep expanding my fungi-farm floor, that'll help retrain all those lost miners, hehe.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21499 on: April 01, 2012, 02:41:39 pm »

Obligitory:

PS: Damn, that was a OLD wagon, no wonder it was cherished.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21500 on: April 01, 2012, 03:13:27 pm »

28 king cobra hatchlings have hatched. I damn well have enough trainers in my fort or I'm going to be in a LOT of trouble.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21501 on: April 01, 2012, 03:30:56 pm »

Lots..

Aqueduct and mini pump stack are go. Draining out my newly-irregated and walled above ground farm while my mason swarm roofs it.

Building a live combat training room and planning a danger room for dwarfs who have been injured in the line of honorable duty.

Got an FB come with deadly dust, it killed itself with it while chasing after some dogs I have chained in the caverns. A few moods lately, trying to figure out what kind of project I can do to keep myself from having 30 idle dorfs at all times. All my basic industries are set up. Haven't found any sand for glass. My magma sea is <40 levels below ground, so maybe I should do some exploratory mining - there's >100 levels below it that I haven't touched.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21502 on: April 01, 2012, 04:08:23 pm »

And she uses a sword, hmmm.

I'm having a Planet Terror flashback.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:17:49 pm by xordae »

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21503 on: April 01, 2012, 04:37:47 pm »

Um... The guys working in the magma forge area just randomly started catching fire. That never happened to me before. WTF?
There's no fire imp. At least there's no combat log with a fire imp.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21504 on: April 01, 2012, 05:58:47 pm »

My fort next to the huge waterfall lost another dwarf (the one who previously lost his wife and child.) He dove in the waterfall, too, although everything should have been forbidden at this point. I'll assume it was suicide. Or he went to talk to the ghost that was standing at the foot of the waterfall.

I carved and placed 20 memorial slabs, but I swear I didn't have that many dwarves. I figure 5 or 6 of them were merchants, caravan guards, and maybe the liaison, although the latter made it safely to the fort (he left in disgust when my expedition leader stubbornly chose to drown instead of conduct a meeting.)

So I was down to five dwarves, but two babies were born after the last death. Elf caravan arrived safely, but they had hardly any wood, which is OK, I suppose, since I currently have 24 beds and very few dwarves to sleep in them. Was able to buy a couple ropes so I could build a well... on a platform above the place where the rivers join, ten z-levels down.

It may be a while before I get more adult dwarves. Last migration wave had zero migrants. "We don't want to go near that buzzard-infested killer waterfall!" they said.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21505 on: April 01, 2012, 06:40:18 pm »

Obligitory:

PS: Damn, that was a OLD wagon, no wonder it was cherished.

This is awesome! How did this happen? How do you engrave a slab to your wagon?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #21506 on: April 01, 2012, 06:53:54 pm »

Noticed this while I was picking out trade goods...

Valued at 18200☼!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21507 on: April 01, 2012, 07:01:46 pm »

This is awesome! How did this happen? How do you engrave a slab to your wagon?
The wagons traders bring are creatures, when they die you can engrave slabs for them.

FortKiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21508 on: April 01, 2012, 07:35:38 pm »

Noticed this while I was picking out trade goods...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Valued at 18200☼!

Now sell it to the elves.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21509 on: April 01, 2012, 07:48:28 pm »

One of my humies died after a run in with two scavangers who managed (barely) to cross a carp infested river. In my hast, I grabbed everyone with fighting skills and sent them out. The militia commander lost the use of one had when the scavanger bit her, but she smashed her chop axe into it's head. The second was beat to death by two unarmed swordsman and an axeman, and in going after a 3rd, one fo the swordsmen got both lungs bruised. She died, and the axeman was not happy; turns out, it was his wife and he only became content again when I reenabled his fishing labors.

I managed to get a small safe muddy plot made, which the angry widower fisherman pumped. He was comforted by the mist from it though he got swept into the shallow pool he pumped the water from. Also, the scavangers, for some reason, decided to murder two carp that were air drowning on a ramp were they forded the stream. And a desert devil stole on of my leather jackets, which annoyed me greatly.

So in closing, I have around.... 20-something people, 5 soldiers who are getting by with wooden armor plates and bracers, and sharpened sticks for weapons; better than fighting with thier bare hands at least.
Pages: 1 ... 1432 1433 [1434] 1435 1436 ... 3842