Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1430 1431 [1432] 1433 1434 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107726 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21465 on: March 31, 2012, 04:42:08 pm »

Slaughtered a tree humper carvan and got a whole mess of brewables, cloth, and meteric fuckton of logs (we were running low anyway.) A recruit is ina fey mood and wants pigtail cloth, so I have an emergency growing program initiated so we can save him.

We also got a cob swan and monitor lizard from the elves, food from one slaughtered elven musk ox, oh and a goblin snatcher.

I full expect the stranglers to make thier move any day now....

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21466 on: March 31, 2012, 05:14:13 pm »

Very little had happened in my fortress for quite some time.  I somehow managed to go for over a year without any ambushes or similar trouble, and most of the time was spent doing OCD tidying up (dumping socks in the atom smasher, rearranging all the graves of the previous inhabitants of the fortress and giving them all tombstones, etc).  Oh, and at one point Iapetus cancels play dwarf fortress: interupted by cat (one of my neighbour's cats got into my house and sneaked into my room while I was engrossed in DF).

Then, all of a sudden, all sorts of stuff happened.

Firstly, a human caravan turned up, accompanied by a vampire serpant-man diplomat.  (Must have been an interesting meeting for the mayor...)

Then, a vile force of darkness arrived!  (My first siege since I reclaimed this fortress.  Which was odd, because the original founding was almost continuously beset by sieges at much lower populations than I am now).  Fortunately, the siegers (consisting entierly of goblin lashers) appeared quite far from everyone, so I was able to get everyone inside (including the caravan and diplomat) and raise the drawbridge without suffering any casulties.  However...

... There were still several "friendly" goblins and trolls living in my fortress from when I reclaimed it, and who I hadn't got around to "removing", who all turned hostile.  Which resulted in all sorts of !!Fun!! - for the goblins.  Particularly the one who was standing in my "pasture room" when it happened.  The room where I had pastured my giant sloth bear, and my black mambas, and my giant white stork, and all sorts of other creatures who proceded to bite, claw, kick and shake him to death.  I did lose a few dwarves (a child, a peasant, and two migrants who had turned up just before the siege), but my military was able to quickly dispatch the enemies, while the siegers helpfully walked into my weapon traps and were shredded.  One did manage to crawl away, minus an arm and a leg, and with his guts hanging out, and escaped thanks to the negligence of the marksdwarves manning the watch towers (who hadn't picked up any ammo before going on duty).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21467 on: March 31, 2012, 05:31:43 pm »

Human caravan has arrived. So far, I've lost one recruit to his failed mood (the pigtails came ina week after the poor guy lost it) and he's now running around babbling in the mess hall. Egg production is in full swing and my livestock are providing nice amounts of cheese and cloth.

I'm hoping I can get some nice goodies to load into weapon traps or even arm my axe squad with (Come on iron greataxe!) I'm also becoming paranoid about attacks. I know they're out there.... watching... lurking.... waiting for me to drop my guard and give my soldiers a season off.... waiting to kill my river fishermen....

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21468 on: March 31, 2012, 05:35:56 pm »

Lost my fort in the most frustrating way possible. Updated to latest version and somehow the save folder I moved to a place of safety got swallowed by the void :( Ah wells, fresh raws.

New gen looks awesome 1050 years old, necro towers everywhere.
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21469 on: March 31, 2012, 05:49:31 pm »

temporarily turned invaders off. Never dont that before, but I really needed to get some outside work done for once. The ambushes I can take, that's interupt worthy, but a dozen jobs canceled because a goblin snatcher is running away? please.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21470 on: March 31, 2012, 05:52:28 pm »

I'm seeing the beginnings of a baby-splosion. in the space of.... 3 months? I had 6 births. I am now challenging myself to run the fortress of nationtowers long enough to see these little buggers to adulthood. Also, my colnel now has a pet goblin in the form of him locked in a cage he owns.

I pray these humans don't leave before migrant season. I don't have enough beds as it is. food however is not an issue at all thanks to efficent fishing and trade, as well has hefty amounts of cheese and eggs.

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #21471 on: March 31, 2012, 05:57:06 pm »

Bought a tigerman.
I LOST THE GAME

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21472 on: March 31, 2012, 06:05:37 pm »

Bought a tigerman.

It's possible to buy sentients?
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21473 on: March 31, 2012, 06:08:01 pm »

I'm seeing the beginnings of a baby-splosion. in the space of.... 3 months? I had 6 births. I am now challenging myself to run the fortress of nationtowers long enough to see these little buggers to adulthood. Also, my colnel now has a pet goblin in the form of him locked in a cage he owns.

I pray these humans don't leave before migrant season. I don't have enough beds as it is. food however is not an issue at all thanks to efficent fishing and trade, as well has hefty amounts of cheese and eggs.

my fort: pop 222 : children : 95

-_-

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21474 on: March 31, 2012, 06:20:11 pm »

AT least most of yours probably aren't attachted to soldiers physically. I killed the elves so fewer migrants would hear of my wealth. Now though..... child population now numbers 10 out of 61 dwarves. And Ezum the insane jabbering mental patient succumbed to thirst and has been stuffed in a rock box. I'm definately beieng paranoid. I went from one grave for his impending death to enough gravespace for nearly all my dwarves.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21475 on: March 31, 2012, 06:41:33 pm »

I'm definately beieng paranoid. I went from one grave for his impending death to enough gravespace for nearly all my dwarves.

I thought that's what the DF Instruction Manual recommended.

Edit: Relevant Link
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:43:53 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21476 on: March 31, 2012, 06:43:12 pm »

I'm definately beieng paranoid. I went from one grave for his impending death to enough gravespace for nearly all my dwarves.

I thought that's what the DF Instruction Manual recommended.

Honestly if the enemy doesn't attack soon, I may have dwarves die of old age in the next 4 years or so. That will be a first for me. have a few that are in thier late 150's.

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21477 on: March 31, 2012, 06:58:02 pm »

Instead of abandoning my almost-dead-from-fps (fps at ~40, slowly decaying due to I have no idea) fort, I decided to breach the hfs (which I hadn't actually done yet), and I was hoping to be able to pull my "collapse the mine stairs" lever which would send large chunks of rock hurling down my stairs, killing anything under them and sealing off the bottom of the stairs with solid walls, but no, the closest bridge to the candy spire was raised fast enough to stop the clowns, and my miner even escaped unscathed (he was never even attacked, I doubt he knew the clowns were there)  ::)

*sigh* Now to find some other way to kill my fort without doing it too willingly... (I don't want to just burn the food stockpiles, let invaders in, or let the clowns get up, stuff like that is too, well, not fun, just too voluntary)
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21478 on: March 31, 2012, 07:31:26 pm »

Was so happy when i saw a migrant coming with a Drake as his pet.

Was so disapointed after reading its description to see that Toady's drake is not a drake as in a heroic fantasy creature of dragonic origin, but is a drake as in a real world male duck.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21479 on: March 31, 2012, 07:32:40 pm »

The Great Rabbit-Hut
Founded by The Bronze Grains

01) The Embark - What happened??
02) A Fresh Start Means Crossing your Fingers
03) It almost feels like cheating, and like Yak Management
04) Our only skeleton is an Industry Framework
05) Summer arrives

You can feel it in the air.
Everything seems a little more relaxed, a little more messy, and a little more cheery.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seeing the low threat of the current wildlife, I decide to send some dwarves brewing and some dwarves plant gathering.
I only have plants & trees on the lower-right corner of my map, but that's okay.
Earlier I saw we could get Blade Weed and Rope Reed, but we failed to stockpile it fast enough so it was left outside.

Other construction projects are underway.
We have a second pasture being walled up whenever we can sneak out.
Also, our garbage compactor is nearly done. With experience previous huts, this garbage chute will be a little more spacious.

The wildlife has been very good to me, even with Terrifying.
The undead Yeti corpses and the undead Giant Wombat corpses move very slow, and they like to live alone apparently, even after death.
And the Living Thrips from earlier were a joke.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, wait, that's a Giant Flying Undead Horned Owl Corpse...
Glad I didn't get this earlier. I'd be dead because the roof wasn't finished until late Spring.

Yea, he even swept by my fort once while I was micromanaging.
Even though I knew about  her, it still gave me heart palpatations.

Still all is good. We're trying to cram as-much-as-possible into our little Summer window before ... well you know.
We got some sort of Brewery going to handle booze, lots of Yak meat, a meeting hall, un-mined resources, and a garbage chute.

Now it's show-time.
Pages: 1 ... 1430 1431 [1432] 1433 1434 ... 3842