Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1429 1430 [1431] 1432 1433 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107730 times)

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21450 on: March 31, 2012, 11:23:33 am »

Drinkglove, after several botched reclaim attempts, belongs to the dead. I'd require an army or something to even last a minute there now. It's a sad thing too, I wanted to start a fortress in a haunted hell-hole. I guess some things will just never be.
Yeah yeah yeah!

AJARTCGA

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21451 on: March 31, 2012, 11:45:47 am »

So, my militia commander and another marksdwarf were killed by an ambush. I send out a few others to clean up the few remaining goblins, though most of them get killed.
Que tantrum spiral, which is magnified because I had way too many idlers, the bigger migration waves are still new to me.
So people keep killing each other and all of that, and I only have a few able-bodied military-skilled dwarves left.
'Some migrants have arrived' taking me from fifty-some dwarves to ninety-one. 
The tantrums seem to slow down, then I get the message, just a few minutes after the migrants, 'A vile force of darkness has arrived!'
Wheelrisen is no more.
It was my first real Fun experience in a while. Blood everywhere, woo!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21452 on: March 31, 2012, 12:29:57 pm »

It seems my fort can confidently fight off nearly any reasonable threat. I've got a brook, as well as dolomite, sand, kaolinite, and coal aplenty. Massive amounts of wood and clay can be imported relatively easily. I haven't even touched the caverns yet, so there's no telling what riches can be found there.

It's Project Time! I'm thinking of building a blitzball stadium, using clear glass blocks for the sphere pool, dolomite for the stands and general structure, and maybe porcelain for decorations like statues. And then I could pit goblins against elves or something, and see who drowns first blitzes better.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21453 on: March 31, 2012, 01:00:23 pm »

No flux at all, when I have plenty of coal and even more iron ore. God damn it.

How am I supposed to fight the war elephants and warwolves, which are the 2 only enemy civs alive, without steel ?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21454 on: March 31, 2012, 01:13:32 pm »

raw editing done, snake eggs will now hatch! as will GDS eggs!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21455 on: March 31, 2012, 01:18:27 pm »

No flux at all, when I have plenty of coal and even more iron ore. God damn it.

How am I supposed to fight the war elephants and warwolves, which are the 2 only enemy civs alive, without steel ?
I often find marble down below. But I assume that's not guaranteed. Here's a trick: check your economic stone settings. Any flux stones on the map(whether you've found them or not) will be usable by default.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Luzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21456 on: March 31, 2012, 02:02:27 pm »

Does anybody know a way to cause undead to be vulnerable to magma via RAW editing? The 20 undead milling around in the lava sea are making ending a siege difficult.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21457 on: March 31, 2012, 02:12:28 pm »

If you're willing to cheat, DFhack and obsidian cast them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #21458 on: March 31, 2012, 02:31:50 pm »

Vigorsacks, my latest fort:
* Cold rocky wasteland/mountain
* Untamed wilds
* Volcano
* Abundant hematite and marble, several obsidian layers, and two candy canes
* No coal or trees

Embarked with "play now!" loadout. The fort is currently in it's fourth year, and has been doing very well.

Spoiler: Main level (click to show/hide)
The big pile of cage traps in the entryway seems to be pretty effective at keeping the gobbos out. Most of the time I don't even bother raising the drawbridge, they won't even path into the fort.

Spoiler: Above-ground farm plot (click to show/hide)
Now here's where it gets interesting: only about half of this area was arable clay soil, the rest was bare obsidian rock, so some irrigation was needed. Temps are freezing year-round, so my bucket brigade was just making ice. The solution was simple enough:

An interesting observation: once I started warming the ground, a little patch of grass started growing on the exposed soil. This gave me an idea...
Spoiler: Dwarven geoengineering (click to show/hide)

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21459 on: March 31, 2012, 02:57:12 pm »

I proposed my mayor for the barons position because she has not caused me any trouble yet. After that, I checked what she likes.

Turns out she likes wagon wood. That might become a source of Fun...

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21460 on: March 31, 2012, 02:59:39 pm »

Now my Giant Jumping Spider is showing up as "Trained" instead of "Semi-Wild".  Turns out letting it follow my trainer like a puppy works, as occasionally they'll take a trip to the animal training zone (had to learn to set one up) and he'll give a round of training to any animals under his training.  Also caught a breeding pair of Giant Keas, fuck yeah, they're added to the puppy train.  Giant Kea egg omelettes for everyone!

Sadly animal people cannot be tamed.  Freaking hedgehog people took up three of my cages before I managed to dump them over a cliff.

I want to start trapping the caverns, since I save a Giant Cave Swallow down there and I wanted it, but on that cavern layer is also the fucking Forgotten Beast that FLIES and BREATHES FIRE.  I barely managed to seal the fortress off before it got in in my swallow-catching attempts.  Let's find a ...less-dangerous cavern.

FortKiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21461 on: March 31, 2012, 03:34:27 pm »

Just started a new fort. Embarked near a volcano, waiting for a migrant to show up with no skills.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #21462 on: March 31, 2012, 03:41:21 pm »

Thanks to a wounded dwarf who keeps bleeding everywhere, including on channelled-out ramps, my soothing mist engines regularly spray blood all over the dining room. Oddly enough, nobody seems to care that they're regularly treated to a bloodfall rather than a waterfall.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21463 on: March 31, 2012, 03:46:10 pm »

everybody's nuts, gutting each other and being visited by some half-bit kobold ghosties. there's a wizard diplomat just milling around doing god knows what
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21464 on: March 31, 2012, 04:38:05 pm »

everybody's nuts, gutting each other and being visited by some half-bit kobold ghosties. there's a wizard diplomat just milling around doing god knows what

casting insanity spells?

Thank armok the human caravan arrived safely. The elf bastards dragged goblins all over the place and we got stuck with our own garbage as well as theirs. Buying too-large human metal armor and smelting it may not be cost effective usually, but we're kinda stomped for storage space here.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1429 1430 [1431] 1432 1433 ... 3842