Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1412 1413 [1414] 1415 1416 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972584 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21195 on: March 25, 2012, 08:28:38 pm »

I usually make an adventurer in a nearby civ and then just repeatedly ask about the surroundings.  Eventually somebody will mention the fortress, then it's just a matter of opening the Quest screen and looking for the site.

Ambush squad attacked my fortress late.  I had already taken out their earlier buddies and called the all clear, my head miner stumbled across a crossbow squad.

I imediately assigned him a tomb, thinking he was a goner and then decided that a pick oughta make a good weapon and drafted him.  Maybe he'll take down one or two.

He then batted 7(!) goblin arrows out of the air, went into a martial trance, charged the goblin squad leader and embedded his pick in his skull on his first attack.  The rest of the crossbow squad immediately turned tail and ran, my head miner close behind completely unharmed.   I heard storied of the badassery of miners, but....wow.  Maybe next fortress I should make my entire military miners and arm them with pickaxes.

I plan on doing that in my settlement when I get enough rockdrills. Those things are nasty little tools.

Speaking of which, I'm having a food crisis, as no-one is processing the fucking cave spores I modded to grow faster because of said food crisis. Anyway I think the hivers are conspiring against me, as they time thier migrations with food crises almost perfectly.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21196 on: March 25, 2012, 09:12:48 pm »

I wish this game's digging system wasn't so confusing.

I have to wonder why Toady allowed for you to dig upwards staircases, downwards staircases, AND up/down ones. It seems like the up-down ones were the only ones that mattered anyway.

Currently trying to figure out why the game insists that a bed can't be pathed to when I should have a correct path to it.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Nogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21197 on: March 25, 2012, 09:17:46 pm »

Some stupid soap dwarf falls into a secretive mood and takes over a craftsman workshop.  I have to slaughter a few animals to meet his sick fantasies, but he starts requesting some kind of cloth I don't have.  I trade for Fiber cloth.  Nope.  I trade for yarn.  Nope.  It's at this point I realize that the jerk must want some silk (that the caravans don't happen to be carrying), so I begin an expedition into the heart of a dangerous cavern in order to sate his creative spirit.  As I venture close to the cavern, a horrifying roar from its dark depths signals the approach of the Forgotten Beast.  As the alternative to spelunking would be allowing my soapy friend to go insane and starve to death, I opt to throw caution to the wind and proceed anyway.  I spot some spider silk near the edge of the cavern, and plan to quickly break through the wall, steal it away, and seal up the passage before the beast can discover my dwarves.  The beast no where to be found, my miner breaks through the single layer of rock.

Suddenly, from out of no where, the beast charges with ferocious speed into the newly opened passage (seriously, the second I opened the passage he just zoomed in).  I send my ramshackle militia to their doom in order to buy some time while my masons seal the passage behind them.  The Forgotten Beast then finds its first victim, the blissful weaver I sent to retrieve the silk.  I quickly deputize her to give my militia time to close the distance.  She manages to get a few decent hits in before being turned to rot by the beast's venom.  My militia arrives just as she dies, and sets upon the creature.  The beast immediately kills poor Speardwarf #3, and incapacitates another two before sending a third flying across the room.  Miraculously, it cannot not withstand the might of my entire militia, and soon dies under their onslaught, ultimately only taking three and half dwarves with it.  My fort and the caverns free of its terrifying presence, I send another weaver to retrieve and weave the silk.

Nope.

Apparently, Adamantine can be woven into cloth, and dwarves in fey moods will not work with anything but once you discover it.  My dwarf winds up going insane, and I'm forced to lock him in his room until he starves to death.  At least, he was just a stupid soap dwarf.  On an optimistic note, the dwarf that lost her left arm to rot in the battle for the Spider silk is still able to cut down trees just fine.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21198 on: March 25, 2012, 09:28:05 pm »

He might have wanted pig tail fiber, or rope reed depending on the caravan.

Food crisis averted by hasty killing of severl grox I didn't want to buture so i could get a big herd going, and the spores finally being processed. We may yet survive this clusterfuck... Oh and everyone's paying no mind to the engraver and animal disector who're currently engaged in beating a Giant wolf Spider to death. Had to call the nearest hivers up and these two are doing a fine job of shattering chitin and splattering spider blood all over the place.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21199 on: March 25, 2012, 09:39:43 pm »

Would appreciate some metal ores though.  ::)
The embark screen promised metals (note plural) both shallow and deep, but I've yet to find them...
Found the shallow metals; native copper and tetrahedrite.  ::)
*sigh*

I suppose copper and silver spikes add a nice touch to my bridge-drop deathtrap (attachment to lever in progress), and I can import reasonable amounts of cassiterite and bismuthinite, so at least there's some bronze weapons to go 'round. There's also a lever I can pull to seal off the fort proper from the outside world, locking the enemy in my soon to be shooting gallery of an antechamber.
Now focusing on carving fortifications in the antechamber and building an archers' nest above the entran...

> A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Oh carp. Too soon. D:
Time to whip out some burrow designations and button up the fort I guess. Too bad my miners are currently busy digging the pit under the bridge deeper, and there's only one way in or out of there, a tunnel leading right up to the map edge. They probably won't make it indoors. :-\
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21200 on: March 25, 2012, 09:41:53 pm »

whats with my old fort splint?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21201 on: March 25, 2012, 09:46:32 pm »

Some stupid soap dwarf falls into a secretive mood and takes over a craftsman workshop.  I have to slaughter a few animals to meet his sick fantasies, but he starts requesting some kind of cloth I don't have.  I trade for Fiber cloth.  Nope.  I trade for yarn.  Nope.  It's at this point I realize that the jerk must want some silk (that the caravans don't happen to be carrying), so I begin an expedition into the heart of a dangerous cavern in order to sate his creative spirit.  As I venture close to the cavern, a horrifying roar from its dark depths signals the approach of the Forgotten Beast.  As the alternative to spelunking would be allowing my soapy friend to go insane and starve to death, I opt to throw caution to the wind and proceed anyway.  I spot some spider silk near the edge of the cavern, and plan to quickly break through the wall, steal it away, and seal up the passage before the beast can discover my dwarves.  The beast no where to be found, my miner breaks through the single layer of rock.

Suddenly, from out of no where, the beast charges with ferocious speed into the newly opened passage (seriously, the second I opened the passage he just zoomed in).  I send my ramshackle militia to their doom in order to buy some time while my masons seal the passage behind them.  The Forgotten Beast then finds its first victim, the blissful weaver I sent to retrieve the silk.  I quickly deputize her to give my militia time to close the distance.  She manages to get a few decent hits in before being turned to rot by the beast's venom.  My militia arrives just as she dies, and sets upon the creature.  The beast immediately kills poor Speardwarf #3, and incapacitates another two before sending a third flying across the room.  Miraculously, it cannot not withstand the might of my entire militia, and soon dies under their onslaught, ultimately only taking three and half dwarves with it.  My fort and the caverns free of its terrifying presence, I send another weaver to retrieve and weave the silk.

Nope.

Apparently, Adamantine can be woven into cloth, and dwarves in fey moods will not work with anything but once you discover it.  My dwarf winds up going insane, and I'm forced to lock him in his room until he starves to death.  At least, he was just a stupid soap dwarf.  On an optimistic note, the dwarf that lost her left arm to rot in the battle for the Spider silk is still able to cut down trees just fine.
Are you sure he wanted cloth then? It's possible he wanted some other material before cloth that he never got.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21202 on: March 25, 2012, 10:00:12 pm »

One mood is not worth the lives of many dwarves though.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21203 on: March 25, 2012, 10:03:40 pm »

whats with my old fort splint?

The FPS was intolerable. I couldn't do it ok! -sobs quietly into a hanky- I feel so.........ELVISH  :'(

Hivers of Manialaboro have added another spider to thier tally. I gotta rip the ramps so they stop slipping in through the waterwheel system. Finally, due to my cheating modding ways, I finally have the supplies I need to keep everyone alive, if not spectacularly happy... found another spot for a couple pillboxes and an emergency vault to burrow civvies should the need arise. Also begun digging out a vast swath of plascrete, useless slag, and compressed rubble to make suitable habs for everyone. Gonna take awhile....

I've also decided a road is needed, so everyone will arrive from a reliable direction. I also added a windmill for looks, even if it's hooked up to "The grid," and almost have the well filler ready. Just a few more axels to get the pump online....

EDIT: Going to need many cage traps and more cave spores.... snatchers and spiders might slip in through the well axels when I seal up the place.... A Scavvy snatcher met the hiver caravan, another met a puppy and promptly ran after it bit his finger off, an outlaw met my one of my 3 hammermen, and I traded for a ludacris amount of food and leather some cloth, ammo and carbide. Oh and my expedition leader was injured and I didn't know this till I got the Hiver McStupid Cancels dress wounds: No Cloth spam. Appearently he was too stupid to make the cloth himself since he has the weaving labor enabled...

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21204 on: March 25, 2012, 11:31:01 pm »

Anvilring is still around, but I want to try a 34.06 fort to try out the new features.  Hence, the fortress of Scarletaxe was born.

In Spring of the second year of the fort:

"The Weremammoth Abba Beruudon has come!  A towering mammoth twisted into humanoid form.  It is crazed for blood and flesh.  Its eyes glow blue.  Its cinnamon hair is long and straight.  Now you will know why you fear the night."

Weremammoth.
Were.  Mammoth.
Were...MAMMOTH.

Dude, seriously.

:D
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21205 on: March 26, 2012, 12:14:18 am »

Honey Badger don't Care!

Not even fall yet in the first year. I've got miners digging away my standard fortress entry chamber/trade depot, so there's not any underground storage. I have put some above ground stockpiles up, just to get the supplies off the wagon, including a food stock pile and refuse stockpile, with a kitchen, butcher shop, tannery, and still between them. In walks a honey badger, who takes up residence in the middle of the food stockpile, and proceeds to chase any dwarf looking for a drink or snack away. He just sits there, defending "his" turf. He doesn't bother workers going to the workshops just outside the food stockpile, if they don't have to bring anything from the food stockpile with them, so the butcher shop and tannery are still working.

Of course, my hunter has used all the starting bolts hunting the ravens, and I haven't started a military or trained any war dogs, so there's no one there to challenge the honey badger for control of the food. Just as I finished a craftsdwarf workshop to turn some of the piles of yak bones into bolts, the honey badger grabs a stack of +blue peahen egg roast [10]+ and calmly walks off the map.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21206 on: March 26, 2012, 01:23:14 am »

34.05 fort abandoned after being severely trolled by an invisible (hiding) necromancer, who managed to win the battle for my front gates by repeatedly animating the same corpses. We really need pulping to be added. I wanted to end the game anyways so I could test out 34.06.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21207 on: March 26, 2012, 01:35:03 am »

Just finished my mega-tower, which is the first real construction project I've done in this fort so far.  Only problem is, I have no idea what to put in it.  The usable floor space is a bit less than 11x11x8.  Any ideas?
Zoo, museum (statues), rooms (with artifact furniture), stockpiles full of jewels and/or coins...
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21208 on: March 26, 2012, 03:39:59 am »

Anvilring is still around, but I want to try a 34.06 fort to try out the new features.  Hence, the fortress of Scarletaxe was born.

In Spring of the second year of the fort:

"The Weremammoth Abba Beruudon has come!  A towering mammoth twisted into humanoid form.  It is crazed for blood and flesh.  Its eyes glow blue.  Its cinnamon hair is long and straight.  Now you will know why you fear the night."

Weremammoth.
Were.  Mammoth.
Were...MAMMOTH.

Dude, seriously.

:D
That is too cool. I wouldn't want to see a humanoid transform into a mammoth though. :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21209 on: March 26, 2012, 04:10:40 am »

"We said 70 migrants, room for 70! Now go back! What? Master weaponsmith, blacksmith and metalcrafter? Step right in gents and missusses, what lovely children, They'll have plenty of others to play with (bloody babysplosion)."

Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1412 1413 [1414] 1415 1416 ... 3839