Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1410 1411 [1412] 1413 1414 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972683 times)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21165 on: March 25, 2012, 12:44:12 pm »

Pshaw. Make your troops half-way competent and give them shields and armour.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21166 on: March 25, 2012, 01:03:59 pm »

I discovered that that handy stretch of clay where my farms were going to be build was host to a nice gold vein.

Also, need more migrants. With 13 dwarves, I can't designate a useless booze-sucker immigrant to breach the z minus 54 level of the giant volcano in order to properly have a giant magma forge complex / ‼FUN‼ dispenser.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21167 on: March 25, 2012, 01:09:10 pm »

FInally got around to killing those bug-people. It was a fittingly spectacular mess when the whole group came splattering to the ground.

They fell far enough to explode, somall those small bits are of course various limbs and guts.

FPS went up considerably.

How would you reccomend building an execution tower like this? I have the idea of just channeling a big pit in my mountain over a retractable bridge.

Personally I don't use execution towers. They take too long to build for my tastes (10+ z-levels for instant death unless they land on thier head seems to be standard around here.) If available I simply pitch them goblinite and all into my volcano from the magma forge level.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21168 on: March 25, 2012, 01:26:54 pm »

I'm still dealing with the fallout from my massive child-tantrum-insanity-parade, and it's not getting much better.  One of my axedwarves/engineers just put his fist through a stoneworker's head, killing him instantly (in retrospect, I should have made sure my military dwarves had no families to drive them over the edge).  My hammerer dealt out fifty blows of justice, which was actually more like twelve, because the engineer died.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21169 on: March 25, 2012, 01:48:34 pm »

Within two months this fortress had it's first ambush (a macegoblin with CROSSBOWGOBLINS), first FB (an emaciated humanoid of ash) and an Ettin. :I I wish animal caretaking was fixed as my war rhinos are QUITE wounded. Two of them are a decent way of slowing an ettin, though. 

Edit; a week later or so and another FB appears. FFS.

Edit 2;
Ambush killed two Dwarfs and three animals.
First FB killed none.
Ettin killed none.
Second FB killed nine Dwarfs so far including both commander and captain of my two militia squads. Edit3; scratch that. From 18 militia Dwarfs I had four left when I abandoned and I know it deadly dusted at least ten non-militia Dwarfs. It's enough. I wouldn't be able to retrieve half the corpses, nor do I have enough coffins/sarcophagi for all those who died. And the FUCKING thing seemed content to stay where it was meaning it wouldn't finish me properly either.  >:(
Edit4; Legends credits it only with the two kills it did in melee. The vast majority of Dwarfs died in its clouds of extract.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 02:15:39 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21170 on: March 25, 2012, 02:31:06 pm »

FInally got around to killing those bug-people. It was a fittingly spectacular mess when the whole group came splattering to the ground.

They fell far enough to explode, somall those small bits are of course various limbs and guts.

FPS went up considerably.

How would you reccomend building an execution tower like this? I have the idea of just channeling a big pit in my mountain over a retractable bridge.

Personally I don't use execution towers. They take too long to build for my tastes (10+ z-levels for instant death unless they land on thier head seems to be standard around here.) If available I simply pitch them goblinite and all into my volcano from the magma forge level.

Yeah, but I like watching my enemies bloodily explode. It's just fun watching them hit the ground and explode, sending body parts everywhere.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21171 on: March 25, 2012, 02:39:34 pm »

Optionally wait for a megabeast/titan/FB to attack and trap it somehow and send goblins down a 2 z-level fall to cripple them while they get mauled by a minotaur/dragon/vomit monster/three eyed horse/ skinless dimetrodon.....

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21172 on: March 25, 2012, 02:47:07 pm »

spiral tantrum due to marksdwarves charging the goblins instead of letting the legendary swordmasters do their job

well, this is a downside of having the entire fortress drafted in military with crossbows...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21173 on: March 25, 2012, 03:04:15 pm »

spiral tantrum due to marksdwarves charging the goblins instead of letting the legendary swordmasters do their job

well, this is a downside of having the entire fortress drafted in military with crossbows...

Moral of this story? Dedicate several forges and smiths to full-time bolt production and a leatherworker to making quivers.

In other news, volcano fort so far is doing well. Just sold off some fancy gold trinkets and pig tail fiber shoes for a bunch of food, booze, silk, and leather. I'm hoping my broker (who is also the best metal crafter) gets his act together and make a few more so I can attract workers for a megaproject I havent't quite cdecided on yet. Maybe a gaint surface temple made of all the obsidian and olivine I mined out.....

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #21174 on: March 25, 2012, 03:34:54 pm »

My latest embark:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I can afford to be generous with the caravan when they show up this year...

Nogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21175 on: March 25, 2012, 03:53:23 pm »

A dwarf just made an artifact as an homage to itself.  He literally carved an image of the skunk bone scepter he was making into the skunk bone scepter.

Also, its name is "Ruledenter", which is awesome beyond belief.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21176 on: March 25, 2012, 03:56:04 pm »

WOO, MASS BABY DEATHS! Just lost 5 to the evil aquifer of Ringrulers, after attempting to use the aquifer as drainage for a murky pool. So now not only do I lose the mythril and starmetal equipment the merchants were carrying around, I put myself further onto the brink of a tantrum spiral! Huzzah!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21177 on: March 25, 2012, 04:47:58 pm »

Just finished my mega-tower, which is the first real construction project I've done in this fort so far.  Only problem is, I have no idea what to put in it.  The usable floor space is a bit less than 11x11x8.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:51:08 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21178 on: March 25, 2012, 05:21:38 pm »

A greatsword artifact!  Yay!

Made of alpaca bone!  Boo!

My "hammerer" is modded to use swords for executions...maybe I can get him to use it.  Still probably good for lopping a vampire's head off.  Just need to make sure my real military doesn't try to use it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21179 on: March 25, 2012, 05:29:58 pm »

Started a fort meant to be the one where I colonize hell, but what I thought was peace with all other civilizations didn't stop gobbo/kobold thieves or goblin sieges. The first siege was handled well, (only one group of crossbows) but the three casualties were diagnosed at least a dozen times each and didn't get their needed medical attention. Then a 2nd siege came and steamrolled everything (one highlight was approx. 30 drafted dwarves punching one cave croc until the giant olm riding axe gobbos rode in)

I reclaimed that fort. There is loot all over the land, and I'm trying to get myself to a good pace with 12 dwarves with 2 dead. Had trouble with leftover burrow designations from the 2nd siege, and then when I slightly changed uniforms the warriors dropped their weapons. However, de-cave crocing with a shield only tired the thing out temporarily and it ate a ranger who was supposed to take over mining duties (a ghost killed the miner). What also bugs me is that my soldiers won't pick up the goblinite from the previous fort. But I have a feeling that things will make more sense when everything is hoarded, and/or melted.
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.
Pages: 1 ... 1410 1411 [1412] 1413 1414 ... 3839