Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1407 1408 [1409] 1410 1411 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5978639 times)

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21120 on: March 24, 2012, 04:11:01 pm »

God fucking dammit.

This game's extraordinarily confusing interface had me accidentally request nothing from my liaison besides tiger leather....>_>
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21121 on: March 24, 2012, 04:14:58 pm »

could be worse
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21122 on: March 24, 2012, 04:31:35 pm »

sorry Imp, different issue.

Tame animals that die from anything but butchering are left alone for ever and ever.

Nah, dead animals (including tame) end up on the refuse pile. Only dead dwarves go to the corpse stockpile.

God fucking dammit.

This game's extraordinarily confusing interface had me accidentally request nothing from my liaison besides tiger leather....>_>

You'll get used to it. =P I did (roughly) the same thing in my first-ish forts. Also, since you were the guy wrestling with the dead buffalo, you'll need a refuse pile for dead animals. Place it close to your butchery/-ies so that whatever junk is produced there gets hauled off quickly and also so that animal corpses are easily accessible. And it helps if you place a tannery nearby, that way the skin will be processed quicker, if you have an available dwarf with tanning enabled.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #21123 on: March 24, 2012, 04:49:30 pm »

My last, very short-lived fort:

* 2x2 embark, half on a Mirthful Tropical Saltwater Swamp, half on a neutral Broadleaf Forest.
* No starting equipment except for a leather quiver, a cat, some dogs, geese and alpacas.
* Dorfs: Woodcutter/Axedwarf, Ambusher/Marksdwarf (free crossbow!), Cook/Brewer/Appraiser/Judge of Intent, Herbalist/Thresher, Butcher/Tanner, Fisherdwarf/Fish Cleaner, Woodcrafter/Gem Setter

Broke down the wagon, built a carpenter's shop, training axe and still. Started cutting trees and gathering plants. Defined a pasture for alpacas and yaks. Built butcher shop, tanner's shop, kitchen and craftsdwarf's shop with first batch of logs.

Started building barrels, wooden bolts and useless junk with the second batch. Hunter and herbalist have been busy, and I start producing mountains of booze and lavish meals. Migrants start showing up. Everything's going great until my herbalist gets mauled by a capaybara. Quickly build a "hammock" to serve as an impromptu hospital and appoint one of the recent arrivals as my CMD. Build a farmer's workshop and shear the alpacas for suture/dressing materials. It looks like she's going to make it, until a coyote comes and finishes her off in bed.

CMD is miserable from witnessing death, being chased by dingos and being accosted by terrible vermin - specifically, the flies which my open-air food stockpile has attracted. She starts tantruming, and goes stark raving mad shortly afterward. Meanwhile, the Dwarven caravan arrives and I trade some of my excess food for picks, cloth, metal bars and an anvil. Assign some of the last batch of migrants to start digging out a proper underground space.

Winter arrives and the surface pools freeze. Decide this would be a good time to take care of the aquifer, so I channel out a shaft from the surface to the aquifer layer. All four miners promptly get themselves (and my only picks) cast in ice. CMD's husband starts tantruming.

Abandoned.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21124 on: March 24, 2012, 06:04:27 pm »

Finally brought a naked children spiral to an end when my mayor destroyed a bridge she was standing on with a number of her children during a tantrum.  Surprisingly, only one died, but the rest are unconscious in the hospital now, and therefore not going insane. It was quite the event to witness though; every time a child died of melancholy, several miserable children would jump upon their corpse, stripping it bare of clothing to save themselves the embarrassment of not having shoes.

Also, learned that ballista bolts won't get dodged.  Need to redesign the wild unicorn farm now.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21125 on: March 24, 2012, 06:10:47 pm »

I've started a fortress in a Terrifying biome in 40d just for shits and giggles. I'm gonna see how quickly I die.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21126 on: March 24, 2012, 06:11:07 pm »

Oh fuck there's 10 Harpies

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21127 on: March 24, 2012, 06:24:50 pm »

Oh god dammit now there's three fuckin pages of savage and wild animals waiting to maul my dwarves

Echo51

• Bay Watcher
  • The amazing random pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21128 on: March 24, 2012, 06:40:20 pm »

Please modify your posts instead of triple or more posting :)

I better start that new .06 fort soon..
Fire is awesome in this game. I should start another one.
No one with appropriate skills, so a bunch of jewelers are being promoted to Doctors. Hey, don't look at me like that. They know plenty about chiseling things off.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21129 on: March 24, 2012, 06:49:33 pm »

Terrifying biomes are harder in DFVD than any other version.
[Signature]

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21130 on: March 24, 2012, 08:12:17 pm »

Sinister/serene 3x3, top and left sides of the map are sinister. Only form of evil weather is terrifying ash clouds, which turn anything into thralls and leave ash coatings behind. Anything that touches a coating or even specks of ash turns into a thrall. Knowing this, I have decided to undertake a thrall arena. Invaders will path into the arena and will get locked inside, forced to endure the torture of various types of thralls.

Arena thralls will get cleaned with water to prevent them from making more thralls unexpectedly. I will also build a shooting gallery for marksdwarves to train on, and some kind of booth for the necromancer that I caught earlier on with a retracting bridge trap. His corpse raising skills could be amusing. I'll have to come up with some kind of alternate path to allow immigrants and caravans in. Still trying to figure out a design. One mistake and my entire fort will be thralls.

Only one dwarf was accidentally thralled. Fisherdwarf thought it would be a good idea to fish on the sinister side (forgot to enable zone only fishing). He has since been catching fish and occasionally fighting things that try to go near his fish. Because of him, my fort has to be on constant burrows, or Urist McHauler will run outside to try and steal his freshly caught fish. That wouldn't end well.

Hopefully I manage this right and can have some Fun with !!SCIENCE!!.

Edit: Okay, after some extensive testing with thralls I can safely say they are virtually indestructible in combat. I had a titan tick thrall with poisonous spit fighting a war dog thrall for over 6 years. They had extensive damage reports but neither one would give up the fight. They make for an extremely valuable way to train marksdwarves, as they can literally soak up 10,000 bolts and still keep walking like nothing happened. Cave-ins are the quickest and easiest way to completely obliterate a thrall (or atom smashing for small ones). Fighting one in melee is suicide.

That fisherdwarf thrall took on over 50 war elephants and war elephant champions alone. He won.
Do not take thralls lightly. They are extremely dangerous, if somewhat docile (short aggression range and doesn't move fast). Quite a nuisance if not handled with care. Once they get in your fort it's done for (especially if they have a coating, everyone is a thrall)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:55:20 pm by masquerine »

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21131 on: March 24, 2012, 08:41:37 pm »

Ringrules has received a very noteworthy migrant: Kogan Uzolsebsur, militia commander and mass murderer of all beasts that walk the earth. She has killed five hundred nineteen various animals, animal people and giant animals. She arrived with massive amounts of jewelery, of course, and some of it she still wears now, though most was dropped as soon as she entered the map.

She is a Master Swordsdwarf, and is both agile and fat. And large, though that's rather redundant. She is 141 years old... If this fort goes well she will die the most honored of dwarven deaths: That of old age.

She was injured in the first goblin ambush of Athelilid, which featured two squads of ambushers, but she has since recovered from the injury to her right lower leg.

Her social skills are abysmal, however. Meager creativity, kinesthetic sense, analytical abilities... Her only personality perk is her ability to focus.

I'd imagine that must make her husband, Datan Merchantzeals, quite crazy, though no doubt his exceptional ability to interpret emotions gives him an edge. He too is in the militia, a captain of one of the 2-man squads that are the backbone of my military.

He is also fat.

Nogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21132 on: March 24, 2012, 09:26:18 pm »

Embarked with zero brewers/farmers in a freezing environment with no soil or vegetation.  Rivers frozen.  Migrants anyway.

They just kept coming.  Thanks to caravans, I managed to hold off dying from thirst/starvation long enough to grow resentful at the incessant flood of useless peasants.  Then, three things happened: the glorious golden throne artifact I placed in the dining room provoked more parties than my rations could sustain; a caravan loaded with essential goods refused to trade for a ~10,000 value profit; a little bird offered some words of wisdom.  I don't know whether it was due to boredom or the pain of wracking my brain trying to figure out how magma works, but the final wave of migrants and their stupid snot-nosed children gave me a change of heart; if my dwarves wanted to drink/eat themselves to starvation, then they would have to earn that right first.

I conscripted all the unassigned migrants into a ramshackle militia, and sent them deep into the underground cavern in order to prove their worth, sealing the passage behind them to make the condition of their mission was clear.  The Forgotten Beast did not take long to greet them, and took even less time tearing them to shreds.  All the while the battle took place, my other dwarves blissfully sat on their butts, throwing yet another party instead of following orders.  A lesson would be learned.  I ordered my miners to open the passage, unleashing the horror onto the fort.  It promptly crashed the last party my dwarves would ever have.  It tore through every last dwarf in the fort, sparing nothing.

It was glorious.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21133 on: March 24, 2012, 09:40:47 pm »

Well, looks like at least all my basalt needs will be met for all eternity.
There's also an ample supply of both sand and clay, which is nice. Plus a dense forest, even more so.

Would appreciate some metal ores though.  ::)
The embark screen promised metals (note plural) both shallow and deep, but I've yet to find them...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:43:26 pm by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

prim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21134 on: March 24, 2012, 09:53:04 pm »

first failed mood on this fort - crafter demanded stone, apparently if its not his favourite it doesn't count - he went berserk and was promptly embedded with bolts
I'm wondering what the hell the neighboring necromancer was thinking when he named his stupid slab "Droolsluts the Anuses of Piss".
Pages: 1 ... 1407 1408 [1409] 1410 1411 ... 3839