Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1406 1407 [1408] 1409 1410 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124000 times)

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21105 on: March 24, 2012, 01:48:30 pm »

Immigrants have arrived!

Praise Armok, MORE useless mouths to feed! Though one does know medicine...

I can't believe it's taken me two years to get over my fear of fortress mode: it's great fun (both meanings)!
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21106 on: March 24, 2012, 01:52:21 pm »

i'm reading the forum while dwarf fortress runs in the background.

apparently necromancers raising the dead which proceed to rape my fort dont give any announcements. oh well next fort

They don't give out any announcements (unless they arrive as a siege, which generates the "The dead walk!" announcement), but if I recall correctly they do give combat reports for the reanimations - if you check your reports regularly to dismiss the red 'C' in the top left, then if it should reappear when there shouldn't be any combat going on... something needs attention. (This may have been fixed at some point as the last time I had a necromancer ambush was back when they also crashed the game, which is coincidentally why I don't know how that fight would have worked out)

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21107 on: March 24, 2012, 01:53:55 pm »

These immigrants might actually be useful! One of them is a Furnace Operator, another a Suturer. I could use those.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21108 on: March 24, 2012, 01:57:53 pm »

forgot to bring cats to an embark.... All food stores have been eaten by a legion of rats. On the positive side, hunting vermin just very easy.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21109 on: March 24, 2012, 02:17:02 pm »

I have struck even more Citrine! Cutting it right now, though I'm not how useful it will be...

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #21110 on: March 24, 2012, 02:20:36 pm »

Freshly started fort, 40d version since it's been a long time since I last played and I want to get some practice in before updating.

Currently, my dwarves are robustly ignoring every project I've given them in favour of moving food into the storeroom. I'm not saying it isn't a useful thing to do, but I'd kind of like to wall off that chasm *before* something horrible comes in and begins eating people. I really must get around to turning off my mason's food hauling.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21111 on: March 24, 2012, 02:34:24 pm »

Dammit Dwarves and your ethics.

Why won't you slaughter that useless donkey you have and use its meat

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21112 on: March 24, 2012, 02:48:44 pm »

There's a cougar up in the mountains.

If it comes down I'm going to try to kill and suffer horribly for my incompetence slaughter the fuck out of it.

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21113 on: March 24, 2012, 03:05:11 pm »

Fresh gen to see the new patch.
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21114 on: March 24, 2012, 03:06:22 pm »

My dwarves refuse to haul my dead buffalo so it can be butchered.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21115 on: March 24, 2012, 03:35:37 pm »

Press o-r-o. That should get them to haul carcasses from outside.
I have struck even more Citrine! Cutting it right now, though I'm not how useful it will be...
Not at all! :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21116 on: March 24, 2012, 03:40:20 pm »

God dammit, I can't find any stuff to smelt into metal.

Also, I did get the corpse moved inside (thanks FD) but they won't take it to the corpse stockpile in the Butcher's shop.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21117 on: March 24, 2012, 03:54:45 pm »

Hello!

They don't give out any announcements (unless they arrive as a siege, which generates the "The dead walk!" announcement), but if I recall correctly they do give combat reports for the reanimations
[...]

This raises the interesting question, whether we can switch on pausing or the box for the reanimations. I haven't found an obvious entry in the announcements.txt, the best candidates that might be involved would probably be [BODY_TRANSFORMATION], [INTERACTION_ACTOR], or [INTERACTION_TARGET]. But then again, marriage messages also don't seem to have announcement controls, so it may simply not be controllable. As a hint for doing something else while playing: I recommend putting :BOX or at least :P:R to CITIZEN_DEATH and PET_DEATH (and probably also CITIZEN_MISSING and PET_MISSING), so that the game pauses when your population starts to dwindle.

And Garath, how could you ignore the most fundamental rule of the game :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

My current fortress isn't running at the moment and I am still wondering whether I should do something about my dwarves assigned to masonry - I have too many statues of Litast, the deity of suicide, death, blight, disease, volcanos, fire, the sun, light produced. I wanted to have a few statues to brighten up my initial dining room (things have been starting slowly as the soil layer was unexpectedly thin), and now I have nearly half a dozen statues of a rotting female dwarf (the standard depiction of Litast). I guess I will have to make a temple dedicated to Litast. Maybe I will move the statue of some historical night creature striking down a dwarf also to that temple then - but that is far, far in the future.

My first immigrant wave were 7 dwarves - 5 adults (2 married couples), 2 children,  with normal citizen skills (farming, ranger, glassmaking) and a bit of combat training. Autumn has come, so I hope that I will not get too many migrants before the pop cap starts working.

Yours,
Deathworks

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21118 on: March 24, 2012, 03:56:01 pm »

God dammit, I can't find any stuff to smelt into metal.

Also, I did get the corpse moved inside (thanks FD) but they won't take it to the corpse stockpile in the Butcher's shop.

Your dwarves put that corpse in some stockpile that accepts corpses; if that is -really really- far from your butcher workshop that could be a problem - but it would have to be really, really far.  Another possibility is that your butcher workshop is 'busy' with another task, do you have dwarves catching vermin in animal traps?  If so, cancel that task until the butchering is done.

But more likely, it just took so long to get it to the stockpile that the corpse started to rot.  Fresh killed corpses always can be butchered right away, but as time passes there's a point - before you can see they are rotting - where the dwarves wont take them to butcher.  Soon afterwards, the corpses start to visibly rot.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21119 on: March 24, 2012, 04:09:42 pm »

sorry Imp, different issue.

Tame animals that die from anything but butchering are left alone for ever and ever.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1406 1407 [1408] 1409 1410 ... 3842