Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1404 1405 [1406] 1407 1408 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124150 times)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21075 on: March 24, 2012, 01:35:55 am »

I've just started my second fort in this world... last one didnt make it very long, caverns were hit and immediatly troglodytes and a giant toad zerged out and 1shot the miners and woodcutters i drafted.
Now, somehow, in my second fort i have tower caps growing on underground soil before uncovering the caverns.

Civ knowledge going further than expected?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21076 on: March 24, 2012, 02:25:38 am »

Some naked mole dogs ran into my cage traps. These guys are as big as dwarves. I hope they breed while just trained, not domesticated.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21077 on: March 24, 2012, 02:29:04 am »

Tamw it and it will breed.

Went back to managing an underhive settlement, and so far my hunter/commander has been bludgeoning a feral grox with the stock of her rifle for about 3 pages worth of torn fat. She should have just shot the stupid thing in the head while she had ammo.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21078 on: March 24, 2012, 02:47:50 am »

"Pot Scorradpine has begun a mysterious construction!"

Ooh, what could it be?

"Pot Scorradpine has created Pot Scorradpine, a cycad crutch!"

What the hell.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21079 on: March 24, 2012, 02:55:52 am »

I had an equal but much more epic one once.

"Meng Oarsounded has begun a mysterious construction!"

Better be good...

"Meng Oarsounded has created Meng Oarsounded, an Adamantine Chain Leggings!"

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21080 on: March 24, 2012, 02:57:17 am »

"Pot Scorradpine has begun a mysterious construction!"

Ooh, what could it be?

"Pot Scorradpine has created Pot Scorradpine, a cycad crutch!"

What the hell.
They told me I could become anything, so I became a crutch.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21081 on: March 24, 2012, 03:31:11 am »

Hey, at least a crutch can be useful. Unlike scepters.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21082 on: March 24, 2012, 04:09:12 am »

Hey, at least a crutch can be useful. Unlike scepters.

Is there any science about the quality of a crutch and the speed of the dwarf that uses it?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21083 on: March 24, 2012, 04:14:53 am »

Nope. All crutch walker skill. Still, if someone gets hurt, they'll have one hell of a pimp cane

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21084 on: March 24, 2012, 07:43:56 am »

There's something very wrong with the nobility of Ghoulbelted. After last prophet went and died, the dungeon master also decided to go insane.. and latest to go nuts is the successor to the prophet. Sadly, he's also my legendary weaponsmith.

Other than that, the military of Ghoulbelted has really surprised me, killing a siege-sized gob ambush without severe injuries with no less than 6 dwarves gaining names for themselves. Current projects are prisoner dropchute at the main meeting area, and staging area for cave exploration. There has been so many migrants lately that I must find some use for them.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21085 on: March 24, 2012, 08:06:50 am »

Draft the migrants, have them act as the forward cave explorers.

When the caves have been completely explored, put two in a small barracks, and put multiple barracks in key areas enemies will advance from. Perfect early warning system!

That is, two to a squad, training near an open map edge. Repeat as needed to cover the edges. Much dorfier than sealing it off.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21086 on: March 24, 2012, 08:18:52 am »

Welp, the settlment is expanding with individual habs being prepared at a leasiurely pace by our lone driller a barracks and several pill boxes have been finished. With no Anvil we can't make more drills to expand the mining crew either, nor can I make ammo or autoguns from the recently extracted malium and carbide. On the upside, only casualties have beena braindead fishery worker and some dogs. Also have a slowly growing Grox herd.

I did manage to get a windmill up and running, but it lacks enough power to get an irrigation pump going. Looks pretty outside the settelment entrance though. Looks like I'll need to move a waterwheel (or three) onto the river to irrigate a larger field. And I need a way to irrigate a small chamber so I can farm more than 4 cave spores (rough equivalent of quarry bushes) at a time during the limited fall-winter growth season. Doesn't help that I can't dig through compacted hive ash without hazmat gear, which no hiver on this Emperor forsaken rock probably knows how to make.

Got 3 workers go funny in the head, resulting ina fancy millstone (and legendary mason) a grox leather low boot (possession, so no point in it. Just Empra-driven inspiration) and the third that, if my tanners can process a couple hides fast enough (Possession used all my remaining hides up. Wasteful inconsiderate bastard.) I'll have a legendary leatherworker soon.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21087 on: March 24, 2012, 08:56:44 am »

1. A forgotten beast got me, its poisonous breath killed many. Had to make many coffins.

2.  I have dug to -10 and there's no sign of magma. Considering the ground level is at 170+, that is really strange. I decide to stop current fortress for I want to try the new version.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21088 on: March 24, 2012, 09:13:23 am »

Hit a snag before I could save. Was building a waterwheel set up to power my irrigation, and the game crashed. Needless to say, I felt spastic nerdrage. Currently trying to make all Thripsmen plummet to thier deaths on new version fort, as thier erratic flight is actually hurting my FPS.

Which raw file are they on so I can kill these stupid things and run the fortress more FPS-smoothly?

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21089 on: March 24, 2012, 09:21:36 am »

Athelild, or Ringrulers, has just received a migrant by the name of Lokum Syruplord.

He shall be my baron, and the fortress shall enter a golden age of syrup.

In other news, a mason of mine has just completed Inolmegid, Yellowslides, a lignite statue of Esmmi Snugglehop the roc.

Truly terrifying.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:38:16 am by Stoup »
Pages: 1 ... 1404 1405 [1406] 1407 1408 ... 3842