Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1389 1390 [1391] 1392 1393 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121267 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20850 on: March 18, 2012, 07:07:32 pm »

New embark.

The peak of the volcano is 54 Z-levels (!) above me. I somehow do not think that I am going to be making my magma forges immediately.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20851 on: March 18, 2012, 08:08:12 pm »

New embark.

The peak of the volcano is 54 Z-levels (!) above me. I somehow do not think that I am going to be making my magma forges immediately.

Bah! Just do what I do: cap the volcano with flooring, and build your fort on top of that

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20852 on: March 18, 2012, 08:16:24 pm »

Watching my fort population plummet due to sheer bloody-minded dwarf stupidity.

Goblins ambush. Dwarves immediately insist on charging out the front gate to the brook in order to clean off the acrid filth they charged through to get to the brook, then back through the filth to return to their jobs, whereupon they suddenly realize they're filthy again.

I can live with that, sort of. My fix is still under construction, though.

But every time the goblins were about to head into the trap-filled entrance or the caravan full of guards, whichever idiot dwarf they were following abruptly jinked and ran off somewhere perfectly goblin-safe instead, where they proceeded to murder him and scatter his possessions. Something like thirty times. I can't apply my fortress defenses if the goblins won't go near the fortress!
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20853 on: March 18, 2012, 08:37:06 pm »

Just swaped over for a break in the constant fishing interrupting goblin attacks,

And got a zombie onslaught. necromancers don't usually lead these do they....?

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20854 on: March 18, 2012, 10:07:35 pm »

Welp, all of a sudden I get a werewolf baby. It was really weird & scared the living hell out of all my Dwarves except the mother. so, my war dogs start biting the hell out of it & hilarity ensues as everyone gets scared. so I spend the better part of a season with 30 dwarves or so trying to rip it apart cause I have no weapons as of yet.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20855 on: March 19, 2012, 04:40:55 am »

Watching my fort population plummet due to sheer bloody-minded dwarf stupidity.

Goblins ambush. Dwarves immediately insist on charging out the front gate to the brook in order to clean off the acrid filth they charged through to get to the brook, then back through the filth to return to their jobs, whereupon they suddenly realize they're filthy again.

I can live with that, sort of. My fix is still under construction, though.

But every time the goblins were about to head into the trap-filled entrance or the caravan full of guards, whichever idiot dwarf they were following abruptly jinked and ran off somewhere perfectly goblin-safe instead, where they proceeded to murder him and scatter his possessions. Something like thirty times. I can't apply my fortress defenses if the goblins won't go near the fortress!

civilian alert burrow denies any jobs in an area not marked in the burrow and that includes cleaning and picking up items
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20856 on: March 19, 2012, 07:14:55 am »

1. Some dwarf weaver was missing in the cavern and starved to death. I have to build a bridge to get his corpse. I think that was because I removed some ramps, poor guy. I recall I went through the unit list to find vampires and saw him standing near a cliff, but I totally forgot about him because I was too busy building furnitures for the new mayor later.

2. After his corpse was reached, I began to build a lever that linked the bridge, for I was not ready to explore that area. But I was too late again, some creatures came and killed some dwarves and dogs before I sent my army to clean them up. I dropped the bodies off the cliff, just to find misama everywhere --  there's a deep pool 2 tiles below the cliff.

3. My new mayor is a 170 years old bone carver. Almost all her parts are yellow or orange(for old age? I don't know). I suspect she'll die soon.

4. My underground hideout is 45 tiles below the ground.Too bad I designed narrow stairways so they are crawling like worms and the fps is really poor.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:19:30 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20857 on: March 19, 2012, 07:30:33 am »

Found this in the civs screen.

Think this warrants mention as an easter egg.. if there was a DF2012 page about easter eggs in the wiki..

I dropped the bodies off the cliff, just to find misama everywhere --  there's a deep pool 2 tiles below the cliff.
How exactly does one do this?Dropping stuff off cliffs, pits, etc.
I've heard about people doing it, but never really practiced it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:37:14 am by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20858 on: March 19, 2012, 07:37:16 am »

Think this warrants mention as an easter egg.. if there was a DF2012 page about easter eggs in the wiki..

Nah, it's been that way since before DF2010. I think.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20859 on: March 19, 2012, 07:39:45 am »

I dropped the bodies off the cliff, just to find misama everywhere --  there's a deep pool 2 tiles below the cliff.
How exactly does one do this?Dropping stuff off cliffs, pits, etc.
I've heard about people doing it, but never really practiced it.
Designate a garbage dump by an open square and dwarves automatically throw anything designated for dump into the pit.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #20860 on: March 19, 2012, 07:50:48 am »

lead bolts nearly instakills zombies. while in arena mode i tested adamantine, one zombie took about 50 bolts to die

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20861 on: March 19, 2012, 07:54:09 am »

FINALLY managed to kill off all the goblins in the pit next to my entrance hall.  In the meantime, none of my dwarves would leave the fortress, since the presence of the goblins would frighten them off.  It took almost a month of my archers taking potshots from above.  I finally unwalled the pit, and sent in my axedwarves to finish off the wounded.  One slipped out, but he was in poor shape.  Rapidly took him apart with an axe.

Unfortunately, the length of time it took meant we missed the human caravan.  I dug the pit a few more z-levels down.  I am hoping the Goblins and trolls will dash themselves to pieces if they dodge bolts by jumping or falling.

I am also setting up a ballista battery covering the length of the entrance hall.  I am hoping this will speed up the decimation of sieges a bit.

Finally have a dining hall set up.  It is not nearly big enough.  I am going to engrave it to get some more happiness.  Also, I must have lost a few more dwarves then I thought--I've got about twenty full tombs and need more.

Does anyone know what distance a goblin needs to fall to make sure the experience is fatal?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20862 on: March 19, 2012, 09:10:45 am »

FINALLY managed to kill off all the goblins in the pit next to my entrance hall.  In the meantime, none of my dwarves would leave the fortress, since the presence of the goblins would frighten them off.  It took almost a month of my archers taking potshots from above.  I finally unwalled the pit, and sent in my axedwarves to finish off the wounded.  One slipped out, but he was in poor shape.  Rapidly took him apart with an axe.

Unfortunately, the length of time it took meant we missed the human caravan.  I dug the pit a few more z-levels down.  I am hoping the Goblins and trolls will dash themselves to pieces if they dodge bolts by jumping or falling.

I am also setting up a ballista battery covering the length of the entrance hall.  I am hoping this will speed up the decimation of sieges a bit.

Finally have a dining hall set up.  It is not nearly big enough.  I am going to engrave it to get some more happiness.  Also, I must have lost a few more dwarves then I thought--I've got about twenty full tombs and need more.

Does anyone know what distance a goblin needs to fall to make sure the experience is fatal?
Drop anything 10z's and they explode into gore instead of taking damage.

"She is a nervous wreck and is constantly in a state of internal rage. She becomes completely helpless in stressful situations. She is mostly unaware of her own emotions. She is not straightforward in her dealings with others, she prefers to intimidate others. She is very disorganized. She often does the first thing that comes to mind."
Yes dwarves this is definitely the person you should make mayor.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20863 on: March 19, 2012, 09:15:07 am »

"She is a nervous wreck and is constantly in a state of internal rage. She becomes completely helpless in stressful situations. She is mostly unaware of her own emotions. She is not straightforward in her dealings with others, she prefers to intimidate others. She is very disorganized. She often does the first thing that comes to mind."
Yes dwarves this is definitely the person you should make mayor.

Sounds like my sister. :P

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20864 on: March 19, 2012, 09:18:26 am »

"The Forgotten Beast Obi Imeriobi has come! A huge quadrued composed of amber opal. It has wings and it squirms and fidgets Beware it's poisonous vapors!"

Then he goes and gets caught in his own extract.
And my archers are bashing him with their crossbows instead of shooting.

pacefalm.jiff

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.
Pages: 1 ... 1389 1390 [1391] 1392 1393 ... 3842