Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1382 1383 [1384] 1385 1386 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121451 times)

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20745 on: March 16, 2012, 09:42:48 pm »

With the great Lighthouse of Channelores Island complete, our adventurers prepare for the journey home...
"Medtob, cut the rope and weigh anchor!"
Spoiler: SPLASH! (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:44:19 pm by Electrode »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20746 on: March 16, 2012, 09:50:53 pm »

Wow, the whole refuse stockpile is now rising, there are nearly 400 undead around the fort

(the blue skulls are what i replaced the flashing ñ of the undead with)

What is going on , there's no necromancer and i didn't embarked on a haunted or terrifying area ?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20747 on: March 16, 2012, 09:52:43 pm »

Necromancers attack in ambush. Generally, if there's not alot fro them to mess with they get bored and leave.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20748 on: March 16, 2012, 10:05:41 pm »

I found that necromancer !
I can't believe it, that one was just waiting for my population to be so small so he could just walk inside my fort completely undetected, reach my huge refuse stockpile and unleash undead hell.
And those merchants that just arrived didn't spotted it.

A goblin siege appeared too, i guess DF wants really to kill my fortress.

But the bulk of the goblin siege army decided to rush on the flow of undead coming out of my fortress entrance, while my surviving dwarves all drafted were moved near the surviving merchant at the nearby trade depot, protected by a bit of walls.
We managed to deal with the trolls that rushed toward the depot, while the big bulk of the goblin siege army was annihilated by the undead legion.

That's where i saw the necromancer appear, and he was then busy raising the fallen goblins, trolls and more.

There's nearly 500 undead now, the rest are the surviving merchants+a few animals running around.

edit : i took a screenshot with stonesense of the entrance of my underground fortress
Only the dwarves inside the red circle are living people, everything else are undead, and down inside the fort there are even more of them.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:12:21 pm by Robsoie »

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20749 on: March 16, 2012, 11:40:19 pm »

. . . Alas, it seems Dwarven shipbuilding is still a bit iffy . . .
One of the things that annoy me about dorf physics is that all of the rocks have their mass and melting points calculated, but wooden logs (even featherwood, I'll bet) do not float in water.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

ZinePlex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20750 on: March 17, 2012, 12:22:02 am »

Currently watching an undead bunny get beat on for the 5th straight year.  It was caught in a creeping gloom cloud early on that immediately turns anything into undead.  It has no legs, teeth... just kinda lumps around like an undead tribble.  It has has so far kept 3 goblin sieges occupied, several ambushes, a giant, and a were-coyote that get eventually tired of smacking it around so they leave.  Right now it is surrounded by a triple kobold ambush.

So far, this bunny has defended my fortress better than anything else I have!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20751 on: March 17, 2012, 12:25:20 am »

Wait... Necromancers attack as an ambush? Is that what you're saying?

Oh god. I need to get more guard dogs now...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20752 on: March 17, 2012, 12:25:59 am »

Damn near perfect embark.

FPS never dipped below 300.

3 candy spires to the third cavern. On a 3x3 embark. That's every candy spire!

40000 gold, 10000 magnetite.

Summer of second year: The dead rise. Necromancer siege with two necromancers.
Recruit everyone in the goddamn fort and charge.
Fort successfully defended with 13 dwarves left.
Next season: Dual goblin ambush.
Fort dead D:
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20753 on: March 17, 2012, 12:47:27 am »

??? Horse hair is attacking... Guess a necromancer snuck in during a migration. Sacrificed a hauler to tap magma for my glass furnaces, still need 2 more taps, so 2 more haulers to die... Guess he decided the death of a dwarf was a good enough reason to attack..

Oh wait, he's human... Guess he just wandered onto the map unannounced?
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20754 on: March 17, 2012, 01:35:12 am »

Wait... Necromancers attack as an ambush? Is that what you're saying?

Oh god. I need to get more guard dogs now...
Yes, necromancers can come in ambush (and i saw them coming as groups , with other necromancers) not only in an undead siege.

But i found that if you keep the surface map rather clean (you get your dwarves hauling every surface corpses into underground stockpiles) , an ambush from a necromancer group is usually nearly harmless as if they have nothing to animate, they're not going to be a real threat and your military will tear them apart in no time
(i got a necromancer book from an ambush that failed to approach my fort)

But beware cases like the one i just faced, if you have not enough dwarves left to spot a necromancer going inside your fort, your refuse stockpile will transform into the biggest undead army ever.
The game really knows how to keep throwing you more fun.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20755 on: March 17, 2012, 02:08:42 am »

try quantum stockpiling refuse after the pile keeps filling up.... and then having a necromancer see that...

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20756 on: March 17, 2012, 02:20:01 am »

On the topic of Necromancers, can Necromancers appear and start mucking stuff up if there was no Tower nearby on the Embark screen?

As for my fort... I just genned a new world and embarked on a new map. My last map was freaking amazing with two waterfalls and 3 rivers, one of them being gigantic, but there was 0 Ore on the map.... Just a crapload of Limestone.

A quick peak of DFHack shows that there's plenty of Ore on this new map, and a neat little indoor waterfall to serve as a beautiful gorgeous backdrop for my Dwarves and arriving traders weaponized Goblin/Kobold drowning machine.

Quick question. Streams and brooks are infinite water right? I want to dig essentially a 4-5z story pit into the stream/brook after I dam it up in the winter so I can flood Goblins/Kobolds down into it from my hallways. Obviously, I want them to get crippled on impact and then drown, but I don't want the stream/brook to get screwed up.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20757 on: March 17, 2012, 02:25:21 am »

1) I've abandoned the surface.  The traders bring me crap.  I'd rather not have to deal with the undead.

2) Screw pump test are proceeding apace.  Results are meeting predictions.

3) Husks on surface.  I hope they go away sometime.  I do need a few, though, for testing purposes.

4) Not enough vampires for drop testing to proceed using only them.  Many thanks to gemcutter Athel for volunteering.  He is, thus far, unhurt.

5) Drop testing has resulted in one useful invention: the live-fire bolt recovery operation.  When I bother getting myself some candy, this should result in almost a wafer a day with one marksdwarf and one furnace operator.

6) Upcoming experiments: lever probe B, undead pathing, leashing the giant tick corpse, submerged drop delay.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20758 on: March 17, 2012, 02:35:24 am »

On the topic of Necromancers, can Necromancers appear and start mucking stuff up if there was no Tower nearby on the Embark screen?

I don't think there's any necromancer coming if there's no tower listed in the nearby civs in the embark location screen, same as if there's no goblin civs there will not be goblin sieges/ambushes.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20759 on: March 17, 2012, 02:47:24 am »

Quick question. Streams and brooks are infinite water right? I want to dig essentially a 4-5z story pit into the stream/brook after I dam it up in the winter so I can flood Goblins/Kobolds down into it from my hallways. Obviously, I want them to get crippled on impact and then drown, but I don't want the stream/brook to get screwed up.

They're infinite water, in as they never dry out; they're not infinite water, in as they cannot feed a limitless number of tiles with water.

You won't screw up your brook to play with this, but you can, essentially, drain your brook.  An aquifer makes a better plaything for this kind of work.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 ... 1382 1383 [1384] 1385 1386 ... 3842