Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1379 1380 [1381] 1382 1383 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121626 times)

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20700 on: March 15, 2012, 10:05:39 pm »

An ambush! Curse them!

(I haven't set up a military yet)

....well crap.

A elven caravan from Lithimawada has arrived.

I JUST might make it out of this!

The Mountain Titan Fepa Sanenealisa Nayimafi has arrived!

:(

An ambush! Curse them!

Now that's just rubbing salt in the wound, game :'(

MisterMoxxie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20701 on: March 15, 2012, 10:15:42 pm »

Right now I've got a pop of 44, with 14 all-legendary melee units in 2 squads, and a 4 unit legendary ranged squad in training. All trained in one, blood-splattered danger room. (No dwarven blood, just pets that slip through the door somehow when squads are switching positions).

Also, I inadvertently made all of my drone class (hauling-cleaning-detailing machines) women. So now I'm sticking to it. Currently, 18 female drones.

I'm trying to devise a plan to dig out my plumbing, but I've never had success with that before so I'm a bit apprehensive. 
Update: 4/5/12 : 9:35 pm
So apparently, this one dwarf is just walking around with a huge, gaping hole in his chest, with a slightly smashed heart, and bleeding absolutely everywhere, and he is PUNCHING OUT ZOMBIES.

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20702 on: March 15, 2012, 10:35:10 pm »

That....
that was probably the most amazing story of my dwarf fortress career.

So, at first, I realized that we were probably screwed, because, y'know, double ambush + titan. But then, my hunters shot pretty much all of the goblins, if the cage traps didn't get them first. The titan arrived after all of the goblins were dealt with, and when my hunters, now markdwarves, ran out of ammo, they of course charged and started to punch the titan. Four of the died in the first couple of seconds, but somehow the markdwarves lend the titan into my main hallway, and prevented it from doing any damage.

They then proceeded to punch. the titan. to death.

Since it was the main hallway, the entire fortress was standing at the entrance, just watching.

After the titan was killed, a party was organized. I think that's the most worthwhile party ever.

(also, I didn't lose more than 5 dwarves throughout the entire thing, and I got the contents of an entire elven caravan. Score.)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20703 on: March 16, 2012, 05:09:26 am »

Trying to make a reservoir. Need an explanation on how screw pumps work.
Can you make it so levers dictate when they're on?

I'm not an expert on machinery, but I know you can hook a pump up to a power source with a gear assembly between the pump and power.  Then you can connect a lever to the gear which will let you turn it on and off.  However, that's a lot of work for a resevoir, and since I seldom need more than a couple of pumps for that, I just dwarf power them when necessary.

As for clean water, in 31.25 I'd just breach the side of a river and be done with it, maybe installing a floodgate to block intake.  These days, I'd probably use a pump anyway with rivers getting stagnant for whatever reason.

What's you guys' normal checklist before breaching the caverns?

Checklist?  I breach the first one ASAP, as soon as I get the main entrance and initial farming area carved out.  It doesn't take too much work to seal it up, and I like to have the moss growing in my soil layers so my sheep can eat safely.

Are elven invasions tough?
:D I want to piss these merchants off big time.

And as it stands right now, we have no use for elven goods.

Tough?  Elves? *snicker*

Their archers are supposed to be somewhat dangerous, but otherwise?  Everything they have is made of cloth and wood, no match for a decently equipped army.  The one time I fought off a group of elves was in the spring of the second year of the fort, when I only had my initial 7 and the first two migration waves.  The elves' wooden swords was no match for my dorf's fists (and a miner's pick), and and emergency draft of untrained citizens killed off about 8 elves with impunity.

Got tired of trying to move that vampire somewhere where he'd be harmless.  He wasn't responding to burrows and he did go where I wanted him to go as part of a military squad.  So I just used DFHack to solve an intractable problem in usual DF way -- I dropped a bit of magma on his head.  Vampires are not immune to burning.  Best part is no one so him burn to death, and the fire completely burned his lousy corpse down to ash, so no one is going to miss him and there's no body to bury and waste a perfectly good coffin.  I'll have to make a slab though just in case he rises as a ghost.  Funniest part is that every piece of equipment he had burned to ash too -- except for his socks.  They'll make some dorf happy.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:27:20 am by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20704 on: March 16, 2012, 05:57:03 am »

So I haven't been getting any invasions at all.
Remind me to never turn off invasions ever again.

I turned them off to give me a nice headstart while I learned the metalworking industry. All my soldierdwarfs are suited up now (from metalworking and caravans). And I feel like I can stand up to some kobolds and maybe goblins. But now that I tick invasions back on, they're not coming. Not even a thief.

I designated stuff all over the edges of the map, but nothing.
Is it because I channeled the hills on the side of the map to make flat space? It makes a steep drop on the edge of the map that might affect creature entrance maybe.

GOT YOU NOW, SCUM!
... how? D:

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

DaftSkunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20705 on: March 16, 2012, 06:04:04 am »

Dwarven caravan arrived, as did the smallest siege yet. I made some mistakes with the drawbridges + a lever never got pulled and now all traders, the liason and at least 3 of my military are dead. I donīt really care about most of that except for one of the military guys, because he was pretty good.

Only thing I do care about is the impending tantrum spirale. Hasnīt started yet and Iīm beginning to hope its not going to hit, but I canīt stoping refreshing the therapist...
I almost had one and a half (the second one was caused by two depressed dwarves dieing of thirst) but managed to contain them, but Iīm not sure just how, so I donīt care to repeat the experience.

At least my chief medic is getting some more experience. I love that guy.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20706 on: March 16, 2012, 06:17:41 am »

Can't you simply bling the place up enough to avoid serious sadnesses?
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20707 on: March 16, 2012, 06:18:49 am »

I don't mind the sloth bear killing some kids. I had too many.
But when a recruit has a tantrum.. crap.

I foresee tantrum spiral.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20708 on: March 16, 2012, 06:36:59 am »

If I set my marksdwarves barracks' "Train" thing off, does that mean they will ONLY train at the archery range?
It's still their barracks, just with the train flag off.

Also, if I just tag one archery target and set it as a "room" with other targets around, will the dwarves use the other targets that weren't specified?

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20709 on: March 16, 2012, 07:01:11 am »

If I set my marksdwarves barracks' "Train" thing off, does that mean they will ONLY train at the archery range?
It's still their barracks, just with the train flag off.

Also, if I just tag one archery target and set it as a "room" with other targets around, will the dwarves use the other targets that weren't specified?
According to the wiki each archery target you wish your dwarves to shoot at must be designated as rooms. The page seems to be copypasted form DF2010 though, so it might or might not be accurate.

As for the barracks-related question, why would you want your marksdwarves to have a barracks in the first place? But I guess they won't train there as long as the "T)rain" thing is off.

To keep this on topic, I managed to screw up my thirsty fortress for good. Damn those "Farmer"-migrants with all of their farming-related labors on by default. I had a few good brewers in the fort, but the stills were occupied by unskilled farmers for a whole season, and booze-production was far too slow. Dwarves were dropping dead one after another by the time I noticed this, and I was annoyed enough to abandon. Can't remember the last time I had a serious fortress crumble by the autumn of the second year... My pride as an overseer is heavily scarred.

Anyways, started a new one nearby the old site, so the minerals are pretty much the same. The goal's the same too, militarising the entire fortress. Might experience some hardships with miners and woodcutters getting messed up with military uniforms, as I hear they interact in a buggy way.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20710 on: March 16, 2012, 07:04:42 am »

Did some science. Apparently that Wiki article's still fairly accurate. I've had the range up for years, but there's only broken arrows around the one designated as a range.

Within less than ten minutes after I designated them all, they all have broken arrows around them.

As for the barracks bit, I'd like for these dwarves to stick around the front entrance.
That and I don't want to flesh out rooms for 222 dwarves.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20711 on: March 16, 2012, 07:14:30 am »

You know what.. I want to kill of this world and start a new, more difficult world.

Used the Lazy Newb World Parameters and I think it's effected how soft my dwarves are. My guess is a tough world leads to tougher dwarves.

GIVE ME CREATIVE WAYS TO KILL THESE GUYS!

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20712 on: March 16, 2012, 07:16:13 am »

Spent most of my time drilling down to the magma sea.  I am now setting up my magma smelters, glass furnaces, and kilns.  Looking forward to a thriving glass and steel industry. 

After the last siege and its cherry-tapping conclusion, I am putting a push on the forging of metal bolts.  If I have only one squad of dwarves, I want them to be effective. 

I am also setting up some new weapons-based traps, since the stone traps have not been helpful.  I need to focus on craft-making too--did not have enough for the last caravan.

Booze is a real problem.  Maybe a ceramic industry would be helpful.

We had a Roc come to visit.  I sent out my squad to take it down.  It's times like these I am grateful for my marksdwarves.  They shot the Roc's wings to ribbons, causing it to crash.  One death and a few injuries.  For some reason, my Commander is described as "pale".
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20713 on: March 16, 2012, 07:25:20 am »

I hear ya on the booze problem. My farmers are so awesome that I never have enough barrels for booze.

EDIT: Sadly, my fort's succumbed to FPS-almostdeath. That's why I want to kill it now.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:29:49 am by RabblerouserGT »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20714 on: March 16, 2012, 08:08:43 am »

There's a cave dragon in my caverns ! MUST CATCH AND TAME !

Now for the classic statue building destroyer trap...

Edit : It left ! NOOO !

Well, time to wait another few years to see another...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:17:35 am by Naryar »
Pages: 1 ... 1379 1380 [1381] 1382 1383 ... 3842