Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1369 1370 [1371] 1372 1373 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095479 times)

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20550 on: March 12, 2012, 12:18:09 am »

I'm thinking adventure mode. Fortress has a few trolls just standing around, interfering with my activities. All I can do is keep punching them.

And ironically, the soap maker is one of the 14 that survived.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20551 on: March 12, 2012, 04:01:28 am »

No adventure mode - the fort stands until the last dwarf! At any rate they won't be able to leave safely until the next mountainhome caravan comes by. Hold out and wait for rescue! ;)
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20552 on: March 12, 2012, 06:24:40 am »

Boltssaved persists.
At last count, I'm up to 256 dwarves.
Nothing really tests the fortress now, with a curtain wall and heavily trapped entrance stopping all but the most persistent enemy. And even if something does get inside, the elite squad "The Helms of God" is set to eternal training just inside. Every one of them is a teenage Axe Lord equipped with the finest steel the fortress can manufacture.

As the dwarves want for nothing now, and I have no desire to damage FPS further by breaching the caverns, the decision was made to provoke every one of the neighbours. The goblins prove interesting sport, as does the occasional wandering minotaur, but I really want the attention of the elves and humans.

To that end, I relocated the trade depot and turned it into an obsidian farm. Unfortunately, initial testing resulted in a burning human fleeing and setting fire to the surface during his maddened flailing.

Fortunately not a single dwarf perished, while a substantial number of animals were killed in the ensuing firestorm. I'd been slowly whittling down their numbers through butchery anyway, so this was a welcome side effect.
I have now fireproofed the trap and just in the nick of time, as the elves have just arrived.
I'll buy all of their wood and then fricassee the lot.

I love the smell of burning elf in the morning.

I'm also seriously considering re-sizing the curtain wall and adding additional entrances, as things are a little too comfortable the way they are at the moment. It's also decidedly... flat now that I've leveled off the local hills (all but one in the south-east corner). Advantageous at first, but proving boring in the long run.
I think I'm going to have to start manufacturing something crazy and magma related. Of course, this probably means re-opening the volcano we've capped.

Hmmm, shrink the curtain wall radius and something else to do with magma?
I wonder...
I'm assuming that obsidian casting on the map edge works?

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20553 on: March 12, 2012, 07:48:55 am »

No adventure mode - the fort stands until the last dwarf! At any rate they won't be able to leave safely until the next mountainhome caravan comes by. Hold out and wait for rescue! ;)
Agreement.
Like the People's Front of Judea said, "One such disaster is but the beginning!"
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20554 on: March 12, 2012, 09:24:47 am »

Sadly, I went to adventure. I only plan on living long enough to check the remains of my fortress, though. Then back to reclaim/steamclean my fortress.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20555 on: March 12, 2012, 09:38:25 am »

Elves came. No snakes. Pity. No wood. Odd.

They brought Apes though. Kinda neat. One 'Panzee, one Orangutan and one white handed gibbon. Also a tapir and a giant mosquito.

I never knew Giant Mosquitoes could be trained. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20556 on: March 12, 2012, 09:49:02 am »

Don't think they can normally, Elves can train exotics though.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20557 on: March 12, 2012, 09:50:45 am »

dwarf with lvl 12 in hammerdwarf/dodger/fighter/shield user and some social skills is a vampire.  I've had him training a marksdwarf squad in melee and shield-using.  However recently he killed one of his squadmates, who were all very unhappy due to losing a friend and being on active duty for a year.  I sent the vampire to jail for 200 days.  I'd like to make use of his awesome skills but I don't want him to kill anyone too useful.  So for now he's just chained up.  On the other hand, I have 3 more murders i can convict him of, so  there's no rush on what to do with him.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20558 on: March 12, 2012, 10:01:04 am »

Just had an awesome evening last night. My dwarf caravan arrived within the zombiefied part of my embark, and while lost a few dwarves to my first ambush, a troop of lashers. Thus began a long cycle of micromanagement to get the bodies dead and recovered back into the safe part of the embark. It didn't quite work - I lost just enough militiadorfs to touch off a very nasty tantrum spiral, which claimed most of the militia, most of the starting seven, and many other migrants that all came related. I was saved by a few migrant waves (amazing they still came).

Then another ambush, which I was completely unprepared for, having lost my entire militia to the spiral. I lost a third migrant wave, and an elf caravan was slaughtered, and I finally defeated the ambush (how long will they stay for if you don't kill them???) by rebuilding my bridge and killing the leaders in a trap hall. Before I could do anything, a human caravan and another two ambushes, one lead by an elf, arrived simultaneously. I didn't have to do anything. Now it's time to get the defenses fixed and more militia trained, and to open the zombie arena for some science.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20559 on: March 12, 2012, 10:47:55 am »

Don't think they can normally, Elves can train exotics though.

Thing is, I did muck around with exactly the pet and training tags, but I don't know if I did so with the giant mosquito.

Regardless, it has killed a kobold. One shitty kobold too. Showed up in the middle of my fort, got attacked by a pet cavy boar, a puppy dog and the mosquito. Mosquito killed him before the human caravaneers could join in on the fun.

Also, I just bought a bronze whip from the Humans. It's finely-crafted, adorned with hanging rings of Sterling silver and on the item is a well-crafted image of my artifact goblin bone throne. In white stork bone. These humans know just what is needed for me to buy their weapons!

Also, a cow just dropped down a two levels deep dry moat. Stupid thing with its stupid fighting. I'll get it out, slaughter it and then fill the moat.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20560 on: March 12, 2012, 01:57:37 pm »

Suh...

Urist MacDoctor performs surgery on a severly wounded vampire. In the mean time, Tirist MacHammerer tries to drag the vampire to chainsroom for 50 strikes.

Funny - he gets dragged one tile by hammerer , then he is dragged back on the table by doctor. I hope doctor will get thirsty first, as I am pretty much fed up with this vampire - getting super medical care before hammering to death.

edit: MacHammerer won.

DaftSkunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20561 on: March 12, 2012, 02:14:11 pm »

My fort Gearcontrolled is running pretty smoothly, with the drowning trap and the whole "mountain opens up to flood attackers from a narrow path to their doom" and all, so I´ve thought it time to get a jail up and running, since I noticed I had a criminal (one of my haulers, the mayor doesn´t like bins and bags being sold). I´ve built jails before, but never with much effort.

So I had my metalcrafter whip up some billon chains (tetrahedrite´s all I got) and was all set to make some happiness inducing cells when I thought: "Wait a minute, why not encrust these... I never decorated stuff before, so now is a good time to try it!"

Well, after reactivating one of my haulers back to his normal job as gem setter and fiddling with a stockpile near the jewelers workshop, I got some nifty chains for the cells, setting them up, looking through the haulers for a weak one and making her the Captain of the Guard, I got distracted by an ettin.

After the ettin is dead for good, I check the jail and guess whose imprisoned? The gem setter.
I hope she likes looking at her own work for the next 60 days.  :)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20562 on: March 12, 2012, 11:59:26 pm »

Destroyed by goblin siege. :'(

I'll try construct some bridges this time.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20563 on: March 13, 2012, 02:49:20 am »

My giant bugsquito was found dead for no reason. ;_;

Elephants showed up on map, I caught, tamed and trained 2 (out of 6) and posted them on a huge pasture each. If they spot a thief or an ambush they can begin stomping immediately, giving my dwarfs some time.
I'm glad they showed up because I embarked where I did specifically for them (and for big cats) and I even altered their eating habits so they should be fine.

Elven caravan came, no new giant mosquito, but I did buy a giant tapir, a giant thrips and a giant Cassowary. Cassowaries are badass.

edit: Cassowaries are armed, armored and hideous. They are dwarfs in bird form.

edit2: My ellies are both female and one of them just gave birth! Yaaaaay!

The second one just gave birth to twins! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:00:11 am by AWdeV »

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20564 on: March 13, 2012, 04:22:18 am »

Created a new world for .05.
... there's to seperate land masses. Should I try to embark and try to bridge the gap? Or tunnel the gap? So there's a connection?

Or will it not be of any use when not using that fort in another game.

EDIT: Nevermind! :D Made a new world. Though for some reason elves are extinct.  :o

EDIT 2: New embark. Fortress name DEFAULTED to "Minerim"... I'm.. okay with this.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:52:47 am by RabblerouserGT »

Pages: 1 ... 1369 1370 [1371] 1372 1373 ... 3842