Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1364 1365 [1366] 1367 1368 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094754 times)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20475 on: March 10, 2012, 08:42:42 pm »

Anvilring, the limestone-and-iron-filled version 31.25 fortress with magma showing up around Z-level -18, is doing quite well at the moment.

I am learning that corridors of trap doom are highly, highly amusing during sieges.  If anything, they're TOO effective.  Once the siege is over, it takes my 221 or so dwarves a long time just to move around the huge quantity of severed goblin and troll body parts.  Green glass giant serrated blades are quite fun.  Trap corridors seem to be an ideal way to handle goblin bowmen and crossbowmen, in particular.  I have so many captive goblins and others in cage traps that I should give some thought to building an execution tower, or some other mass-execution device.

I got not one but two waves of migrants after reaching the population cap.  I figure they must have already been traveling.

Haven't walled around the entire zone yet, but I am getting closer and closer to this goal.  Also working on building lots of roads (at the very edges of the zones, outside the walled area) so I can attempt to become the capital.

I have 8 military squads of 3 dwarves each.  Need to make more.

Other than the one dragon, and one giantess, no real megabeasts yet.  I'm hoping for a feathered lobster or something.

My Weaponsmith is now Legendary.

I think this embark has only 2 cavern layers, which is a shame (maybe the 3rd is underwater?), but at least I have !!MAGMA!! pretty early on.  Still need to get my magma forge/smelter/etc. constructed.

Most recent artifact:  Artifact golden war hammer. YES

I'm hoping that eventually the ruler of the goblin civilization will arrive during a siege.  My dwarves have already taken out the goblin civ's general.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20476 on: March 10, 2012, 08:45:37 pm »

I have now dug out 1/25th of my entire map. Feels good.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20477 on: March 10, 2012, 08:56:45 pm »

So i learned the true meaning of a "Terrifying" zone.
After my little trading problems with some undead crushing the dwarven caravan, i noticed that just before i close the floor hatch, a mutilated peasant managed to sneak inside.

He interrupted lot of people (it's how i noticed) and i sent my axedwarves to kill it.
I threw the remain in a deeper floor in which i had a corpse and refuse stockpile.

Then i resumed the work on the fort, and again interrupted message, could it be an undead or husk smarter than the other than unlocked my locked ground hatch ?
No it was that damn "mutilated peasant that just came back to undeath, and it was supported by another undead, his arm.
The things managed to cut the arm of one of my hauler before i put it to death again.

Later another interruption, the undead were now several, the returning peasant and his arm, helped by the poor dwarf arm they just severed.

Once crushed by my military again, i started to build a pit to throw those things into so they would never annoy anyone else.

"interrupted" again ! the undead were simply not dying, and after a lot of this kind of thing, they were a lot , not only the original dismembered mutilated peasant was back, helped by all his members, but after a while they killed a few haulers, that now undead were joining the battles.

And to not help, my military was so depressed that they were throwing tantrum and left their stationning, allowing some of the returning undead to climb stairs and attack more of my dwarves.

In the end, the undead won, as i could never manage to complete my pit, and they progressively succeeded in wearing down my dwarves numbers, annihilating both the military and everyone else that i hadn't drafted yet to replace the fallen.

Terrifying indeed is a horrible zone, the undead just can't stay dead.
For once not a tantrum spiral, but an undead spiral, even more lethal.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:00:24 pm by Robsoie »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20478 on: March 10, 2012, 09:14:58 pm »

I have now dug out 1/25th of my entire map. Feels good.

Still working on that?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20479 on: March 10, 2012, 09:47:17 pm »

I now have a two year old legendary stonecrafter.........

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How long does it take for a skill to rust??
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20480 on: March 10, 2012, 10:13:58 pm »

So i learned the true meaning of a "Terrifying" zone.
Terrifying indeed is a horrible zone, the undead just can't stay dead.
For once not a tantrum spiral, but an undead spiral, even more lethal.

Sux that you lost the battle, but I guess it's a good thing for the challenge in the long run.

I'm waiting for the next version release, where Toady will have fixed some of the "unhappy" thought issues about military and stationing.
Then I'll give hell-on-earth another shot...

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20481 on: March 10, 2012, 10:23:12 pm »

Killed a goblin lasher because one of my dwarves made him AWESOMELY fall into the moat under my bridge.
These guys were making me SOOOOOOOOO PROUD!

Killed an entire squad of Goblin Bowmen!

Then.
THEN... RIGHT AFTER MY VICTORIOUS RAMPAGE!!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

>My face when:

This has been a very productive evening.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:26:00 pm by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20482 on: March 10, 2012, 10:41:07 pm »

You really should post the saves if you can reliably duplicate the crashes.

Are you 64-bit?

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20483 on: March 10, 2012, 10:45:51 pm »

Are you 64-bit?
32-bit Windows XP.
3.2 GHz Pentium D processor
1GB RAM
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4670 1GB

And I'm afraid I can't reliably duplicate it, just about everything in DF is random.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:13:10 pm by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20484 on: March 10, 2012, 11:14:52 pm »

Actually, what Zzark meant is if there is a specific set of conditions that caused the crash that you can identify, then upload the save.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20485 on: March 10, 2012, 11:21:26 pm »

Are you 64-bit?
32-bit Windows XP.
3.2 GHz Pentium D processor
1GB RAM
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4670 1GB

And I'm afraid I can't reliably duplicate it, just about everything in DF is random.

Are you using any mods? One problem I know will consistently crash the game is corrupted creature raws, especially when body definitions aren't written properly. If you have installed/made any modifications to creatures, you should double check through arena that none of the modded creatures crash the game when spawned. These problems don't always show up in the error log either, it seems.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20486 on: March 10, 2012, 11:29:46 pm »

A Cyclops came and bashed my trade depots, chased a stray cat from one side of the map to another and killed it.
But I managed to trap the murderer in a lead cage.

What should I do now?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Tabithda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20487 on: March 10, 2012, 11:31:51 pm »

The dwarf caravan that came to my fort this year had in it a barrel of a substance called "liquid" in it.  Out of curiosity I purchased the barrel, but I cannot seem to figure out what the substance is.  My dwarfs will not consume it(or at least they have not yet) and I cannot find any other use for it.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20488 on: March 10, 2012, 11:34:35 pm »

The humans used to regularly bring Deer n/a in a barrel for trade in my old 31.18 world. From my knowledge, 'animal n/a' is used when a liquid stored in the animal hasn't been properly defined, like venom or blood. I'd never touched the deer before though. :P

Baby_Slaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20489 on: March 11, 2012, 01:03:09 am »

Are you 64-bit?

What wrong with 64-bit?
yeah i use 64-bit and got a lot of crash, so much till i have to save manually every 10 minutes  :-[
Are there any OS related bug?

and are there some kind of mod to autosave like 10 minute or so?
Pages: 1 ... 1364 1365 [1366] 1367 1368 ... 3842