Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1344 1345 [1346] 1347 1348 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095413 times)

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20175 on: February 29, 2012, 08:35:04 pm »

The Goblins cleared off and an Elven Caravan arrived. I opened the main gates for (I hoped) just long enough for the Caravan to get inside. It was so close, but one Goblin Spearman got inside with the last Yak. Although the Yak gored him to death rapidly, the remaining Elves insisted on leaving.

I tried to reason with them - I pointed out the 2 dozen Goblins outside, but the arrogant fool wasn't having any of it. Fighting his guards would be a futile waste of my own Dwarfpower, so I bid him farewell, sealed the Inner gate and pulled the lever to release the outer gates. To his credit, he did take down 7 goblins before succumbing to the inevitable weight of numbers.

I hastily resealed the Outer gate, and almost by reflex unsealed the Inner gate.

Immediately my Dwarves sprang for the bodies. Aside from the goblinite, two of the Yaks had died just short of the Outer gate, fully loaded. While most of their goods were useless fripperies, there were 3 barrels of elven alcohol and two of surface plant seeds, plus several bales of much needed cloth and thread for the Hospital.

Corpse looting is degrading, but it's better than becoming one.

Stalemate resumed. The Goblins can't get past the walls, and we can't get out. The Caravan from the Mountains will be better equipped than those arrogant Elves though, and once that happens the Charcoal supply will resume.

Next time, I'm putting 10 tonnes of steel into a reserve store.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20176 on: February 29, 2012, 08:51:17 pm »

All the dwarves who were infected died, leaving me now with 96 dwarves.

One of the children in my fort just threw a party. Half my military just died and my dwarves do not care. I think it's horrible, horrible death time for the dwarves!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20177 on: February 29, 2012, 08:52:50 pm »

All the dwarves who were infected died, leaving me now with 96 dwarves.

One of the children in my fort just threw a party. Half my military just died and my dwarves do not care. I think it's horrible, horrible death time for the dwarves!

Clearly it's a funeral reception. or the dwarves are just complete bastards.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20178 on: February 29, 2012, 09:14:17 pm »

I think they've grown soft. They have lived in the lap of luxury for far too long. The death floodgates I installed not long ago have now been opened, and Ralsakzul is now sealed to its doom.

In all honesty though this fort has gotten far too boring. I embarked in an idyllic spot, warm, not much savagery, flux metals... things are simply droll. And so the dwarves shall die. Such is Dwarf Fortress.

I think I'll start an outpost on the other side of the mountain range my fortress borders, next to 2 necromaners' towers. That ought to be more fun

Heh, this is indeed infinitely more fun than watching my dwarves idle around hauling shit. 5 dwarven children have already fallen from various heights around my fort, and have died. Still no signs of anything like a tantrum spiral
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:25:41 pm by Stoup »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20179 on: February 29, 2012, 10:19:53 pm »

Lost: RabbitHut the Grass-Devourer
01) Land Layout
02) Land Enemies
03) 2nd migrant wave mystery
04) 2nd migrant wave resolved
05) Code Yellow
06) Dwarves Save Dwarves
07) The Sponge has Spoken

New Fort: RabbitHut the Terror of Vines (because my rabbit hates dangly things)

01) Timon: It Starts

Finally got the hut going on this lovely piece of land.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Axes training, Aquifer room dug out (finally got enough lumber for it...).
Now I just need the The Yell of Murdering (my brook) to thaw so I can get basic foodstuffs going.

Oh, and boy is it a mucus filled corpse parade pus hell outside.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20180 on: February 29, 2012, 10:34:08 pm »

"Tholtig Medtobtost, Stoneworker cancels Pull the Lever: Getting married.

Another married pair.  It's nice, my dwarves so rarely married in previous forts.

Farmer went secretive and produced a microcline scepter.  Beh.

This season's immigrants brought the first child to the fort.  I also seem to be getting a lot of dwarves who don't worship any god at all.  Is that a new feature, I wonder.

SirRice77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20181 on: March 01, 2012, 12:11:57 am »

Just started a new fortress 30 min ago after updating the game.
Decided to try and settle a terrifying biome
Within 5 min it started raining pungent mucus
It rains mucus every few minutes
Mucus that bruises and blisters all beings caught in it
The map also has like 5 aquifers and a river and is inhabited by animal people such as mosquito people or crow or raven people
As a newb i now need to figure out how to deal with aquifiers, while the surface world is covered with mucus, literally like 3/4 of the map will be pungent mucus

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20182 on: March 01, 2012, 01:36:58 am »

Legends reveals I want to delete the world I created yesterday.

Oh Armok, I seem to have created nazi elves.  Once civ is systematically genocide all the other races.  90% of the world is elves.  Armok save us all.  The only dwarves left are in a narrow mountain valley and there are just 400 left and the elves are pressing them hard.  The year before world gen ended there was a major battle there at pass that leads to this valley and the dwarves won, but it was the definition of a Pyrrhic victory.  250 dwarves died and like 3,000 elves died - but that's only a very, very small portion of the elven population where as that's a huge fraction of the dwarven one.

The only humans left are on an island.  The only goblins are on another island.  The rest of the world is ruled by elves.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20183 on: March 01, 2012, 01:58:49 am »

Well, looks like the autumn immigration wave brought my first vampire.

Got this old fart vampire named Olon Canyonwipes.  No family, no friends, while everyone else coming in has a family and is mostly young.  The old dorfs have many children and grandchildren.  Checked out his skills, he's a freakin' high ranked Glazer with a bucketful of social skills (useless!).  He's also been a former member of several forts.  Dwarf Therapist doesn't list a Olon Canyonwipes though....

There is a Inod Canyoncrushed in DT with the right stats though.  And after a bit of research in Legends Viewer, I find this little line under his deity's description:

So the question is what to do?  Lock him in a little hut outside and let him out for goblin Christmas?  Drop him down the volcano?  Wall him up somewhere?  Use him to sire a brood of vampires?  Decisions, decisions.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20184 on: March 01, 2012, 03:02:34 am »

Oh Armok, I seem to have created nazi elves.  Once civ is systematically genocide all the other races.  90% of the world is elves.  Armok save us all.  The only dwarves left are in a narrow mountain valley and there are just 400 left and the elves are pressing them hard.  The year before world gen ended there was a major battle there at pass that leads to this valley and the dwarves won, but it was the definition of a Pyrrhic victory.  250 dwarves died and like 3,000 elves died - but that's only a very, very small portion of the elven population where as that's a huge fraction of the dwarven one.

The only humans left are on an island.  The only goblins are on another island.  The rest of the world is ruled by elves.

It's adventurer time! Genocide those elves!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20185 on: March 01, 2012, 03:56:21 am »

You know what must be done. Lead the dwarves to victory!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20186 on: March 01, 2012, 04:54:48 am »

I have a werebadger cage.

Obviously, I need werebadger soldiers.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20187 on: March 01, 2012, 05:20:43 am »

Trying to build a above-ground fort in a terrifying biome.

Just lost a fourth of the population to a undead giant albatross attack. The rest are holed up in a mudpit with the food. The booze is just about to run out and they only have access to salt water in there; I was in the process of making a underground de-salination plant when the attack came and much-needed equipment is now in the hands of the undead.

That's not all either. All the miners and woodcutters were killed in the attack so I can't get their gear and expand the fortress... thankfully I dug down to the caverns to survey the metal deposits earlier. There is water down there ... about 48 Z levels below the dwarves. I just might have to move everyone down there and try to survive by drinking cavern water, fishing cave fish and harvesting mushrooms. Eventually I hope something will draw the undead away so I can recover atleast ONE pick. It's ... it's pretty much my only chance.

oh and there's a hostile tribe of cave swallow men down there. Just another way this can end in fun. :)

PS. I found an interesting bug. A cow calf was slain by a giant albatross and now a grown undead cow is on the surface.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 05:23:05 am by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20188 on: March 01, 2012, 05:22:25 am »

I starved some unworthy dwarves, dug down to the caverns with water to make a well,
butchered those stray yaks that dragged us here and buried my farmer Stephen, who died as result of an upset butcher wielding a pick.

I also drew all my best dwarves.
It's been a good day, except for Stephen dying of dehydration in bed right before I got that well set up.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20189 on: March 01, 2012, 05:32:45 am »

Means, did you name your dorves after your friends?

:D

The very first fort I ran that was actually successful (Creaturebolt, back in 0.31.04) I named EVERY dwarf after my friends (and later, family and acquaintances). It made me fight all the harder to make them survive (they fought off a dragon with massive losses, then lost to a dual goblin siege and hydra attack).

Ah, that takes me back.
Pages: 1 ... 1344 1345 [1346] 1347 1348 ... 3842