Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094532 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20085 on: February 28, 2012, 12:55:43 am »

New embark:

Adamantine spire. Pokes out 4 z-levels above ground. Was open all the way up, so I used tubefill to save myself from hell. FPS is holding steady at 100. YES!

Do want.  How thick is the world?

139 z levels from the top of the spire and a nearby hilltop to the bottom. I embarked on a rather good spot, as well: major river, sedimentary layer with a ton of dolomite, heavy tree and brush cover, warm climate, etc. Pretty much the only thing it doesn't have is a volcano.

One thing is, I'm playing with skill degradation turned off, and with a couple of homebrewed metals added in. Here's a few highlights from the prospect take:
5.9k adamantine
10k magnetite
5.8k hematite
3.4k limonite
25k native gold
78k tetrahedrite
5k mythril (added; between steel and adamantite in terms of usefulness)
88 deepsilver (added; very high-density, found only in small clusters)
38 starmetal (added; roughly twice as effective as adamantite, light enough that irl it would probably float, found only in small clusters)

((If anyone wants it, remind me of how to find the seed, because for the life of me I can't remember.  :-X))

Those custom metals sound really cool.  You should package them and the relevant reactions into a small mod for people, I know I'd add it at least :P

To get the seed:
Open your map up and hit ESC and go to "export local image" and then choose a Z-level or ten to export images of.  Included with the images will be a text file, containing world gen information.  The seeds are in there.

Ah, thanks.

Spoiler: Seed and params (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Embark location (click to show/hide)

I honestly don't think the metals are large/big enough to deserve a post; you only need 2 entries per metal (in inorganic_metal and inorganic_stone_mineral) and it was maybe ~1 hour of work, and most of that was testing and looking up information to find out what I did wrong with the colors.

Well, I think it'd be worth a post.  Besides, it may lead to an interesting discussion and you may get more ideas.

Copying world parameters and that image and I'll give it a shot and see if the spire is there when I get the chance.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20086 on: February 28, 2012, 01:23:15 am »

A trader has migrated to my map.  I assume he was trying to migrate, anyways, as he arrived with the rest of the spring crowd.  He's labeled as friendly but doesn't move.

He is now stuck on the migrant spawn point, so I don't know if there are any more migrants or not.  I hope the herd of camels wandering around the surface will get close enough to spook him off so I can see.  Not sure how else to move him.
I have at least four of these guys.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20087 on: February 28, 2012, 01:47:50 am »

I have found a neat world and have 2 embark sites to choose from.

Embark 1 is next to a goblin civ with a rich history.
Embart 2 is next to a goblin civ that got destroyed until an early leader. a "taupe man" i think... he fled from his captors and reclaimed a dark fortress. He is the ONLY member of the civ ... and at the embark I will be at WAR with him.

Seeing as that taupe man has fought off entire sieges by himself it is badass to have him visit. The "war" bit is also grand but there's just something disappointing about knowing every single goblin visitor was generated on the spot. I mean ... sure. That's always the case, right? Probably... it's like I saw the wizard behind the veil and now I can't get any satisfaction.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20088 on: February 28, 2012, 08:08:26 am »

The dwarves of Bronzemanors have struck goblinite!

After placating the humans (mostly because although we get the metal from them either way, it's better for us if we give them something in return - like the enormous piles of junk from invaders, or the thousands of stone from the quarry processed into tourist-friendly gift items - we're currently working on a textile industry too, so I'm hoping to make some *rope reed fiber t-shirts* with an image proclaiming "I've seen the massive hole in Bronzemanors!", to improve tourism), winter was uneventful, and then as I was expecting the spring refuse haulers, I instead see "A vile force of darkness has arrived!"

Which consisted of at least 70 invaders - I only checked after the battle was underway so there might have been more - led by a goblin law-giver. In the ensuing violence, most of my militia were once again killed (I am not best pleased that, given four years training, my swordsdwarf squad still have not progressed beyond Novice - and given their performance, ie. dying, they now won't), but the fortress stands firm against the invasion.

Of note, my new militia commander (appointed following the demise of his mentor) is pretty much tearing things up by himself - he's given himself a huge title (he styles himself as Kadol Temptedchamber, the Submerged Mindful Harshness of Bastions), has named his weapon, and is nearly at 100 kills so far. Since he's supposed to be a Professional Teacher, I've replaced his fallen squad with another (one) member, in the hopes that having only one other dwarf will allow him to train them more satisfactorily - since the commander's squad is based permanently at the fort's entrance, he'll either do well or be brutally murdered by the next siege.

Speaking of which, I don't see the goblin law-giver in my list of the dead. Potential for a recurring villian perhaps?

(edit) Oh, here's something mildly amusing - the militia captain of the incompetent Swordsdwarf squad is now tantruming, and his job is listed as 'Lead Striking Demonstration' - with a recruit listed as 'Watch Striking Demonstration'. Maybe I've been doing this whole training thing wrong and I should have them learn from dwarven tantrums? If only we could harness that capacity for destruction and loose it on our enemies somehow...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:17:38 am by Calech »

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20089 on: February 28, 2012, 08:21:01 am »

New migration wave.  A big family this time, a married couple, their kids and some grandkids.  Unfortunately, they're mostly the usual mediocre farmers.  Some had some rudimentary combat skills and got drafted as marksdwarves, I'm about to set up a patrol route and have two squads alternate the route.  Another got pressed into service as a bone carver, since the butcher shop is starting to get pretty cluttered with body parts.  At this point, most of the basic industries have been established, just got to wait for them to reach critical mass and be mostly self-sufficient.  The remaining losers fort filler freeloaders booze and food sponges immigrants got stuffed into a pair of Therapist custome professions I call "Builder" and "Stockdwarf".  The builders get Masonry, Engraving, Architecture, Furniture Hauling, and Mechanics.  Their job is to construct whatever is needed.   The stockdwarves have Item/Food/Wood/Refuse Hauling.  Their job is to keep the stockpiles filled.  I'll see how well this setup works.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #20090 on: February 28, 2012, 09:01:49 am »

Stupid hunter forgot to clean out the butcher shop, and now there is miasma everywhere!  My brewers are not happy about this.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20091 on: February 28, 2012, 09:02:22 am »

argh, these immigrant waves are so big!

I hope someone invades soon so I can kill a few of them off in a suicide squad
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20092 on: February 28, 2012, 09:06:56 am »

-snip-
Well, I think it'd be worth a post.  Besides, it may lead to an interesting discussion and you may get more ideas.

Copying world parameters and that image and I'll give it a shot and see if the spire is there when I get the chance.

GL getting the embark.

I might do something like that once I've got a decent collection of stuff; I'm also planning on adding a greater variety of weapons and armor. But among other things, I need to work out the balance issues; mythril as it stands is basically an overpowered placeholder, as it is half as good as adamantine (i.e. better than all other natural metals) and as common as hematite, and requires no processing beyond smelting the ore. Since there isn't a ore creation size between [VEIN] and [CLUSTER_SMALL], I need to take it from another direction. My current plan is to rename the mineral, and have mythril be the product of smelting 2 bars of 'truesilver' or whatever with a bar of steel and a bar of coke, both to make it more difficult to produce, and to keep the need for steel production.

ontopic:

First layer of walls is almost complete, little remains but the foundation for the gatehouse and the inner keep.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:37:51 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

jp.mech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20093 on: February 28, 2012, 09:19:30 am »

My Legendary Miner with Proficient Weaponsmithing became secretive and made an artifact diorite table. He didn't become a Legendary Mason in the process  :'(

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20094 on: February 28, 2012, 09:27:31 am »

Have so far survived two zombie invasions.  The first was led by a necromancer who used to be a fishery worker (?) and the second was at least 150 zombies led by a multi-racial team of four necromancers: a human, an elf, and two dwarves, all with mixed professions.  I'm thinking it's a bunch of 13-year-olds who decided to roll up 'evil' PCs and got lost inside the simulation.  More's the pity - they're all dead now.  During the first invasion I found crossbowmen to be ineffective at 'plinking' the zombies so I opened up the sight lines on my tower and added some spinning blade traps... but then my dwarves got scared hauling things past the firing level and I couldn't get anything done.  Framerate dropped to 20.

My slice-and-dice traps were insufficient in quantity.  The necromancers simply re-animated the parts!  So I turned to a new strategy: a combination bridge-and-blade-trap grinder built out of the hulk of my disused irrigation system.  A single-tile hallway with alternating bridges and spinning blade traps, and all the bridges connected to a single far-away lever. I placed a ballista at the back end, which turned out to be mostly for effect.  The system had three big benefits:

(1) The bridges smashed the body parts to prevent re-animation.
(2) Because it's an old irrigation system, I can alternate filling it with water and running the smashers to clean out all the debris.
(3) The bridges will smash the excess xx[cave spider silk tunic]xx so I wouldn't take the framerate hit.

During the second invasion I also had *two* forgotten beasts somehow wiggle their way into my otherwise-airtight fortress.  I believe they squeezed through a fortification and came up through the well.  Still trying to figure that one out.  Anyway, now I've got some major home improvements to make:
- Doors around the central stairway in the tower, so workers can move safely between levels without seeing any enemies
- Catapult firing range set up below decks to move all of my stone to a deep subterranean masonry shop
- Must re-stock on bone bolts for next invasion
- Improve the front gate with statues of triumphant dwarves and slabs memorializing the other necromancers who have died here pour encourager les autres.

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20095 on: February 28, 2012, 09:28:44 am »

and now my best metalsmith has been found completely drained of blood.

oh dear
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20096 on: February 28, 2012, 10:38:18 am »

and now my best metalsmith has been found completely drained of blood.

oh dear

It's always the tasty ones that die young.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20097 on: February 28, 2012, 10:51:43 am »

Settling in to just get along with the ghosts, since engraving slabs is such a pain to do (scroll though 200+ names, find the right one...)

Same for that one vampire... he has killed about 7 or 8 dwarfs, but was never seen. All the other vamps I found quickly and just put into the bookkeeper and manager pit, but this last one is far to smart... wish there would be a easy way to keep my important chars guarded, like the guards you could put on em in older versions.

Otherwise still drowning in the constant gobo blood rains, everything my fort (3 mil value) owns and eats and produces is just filled with gobo blood. My dwarfs are currently drinking from a underground lake, with thick yellow lines of FB extract though it (but no worries, it works as mercy poison on the wounded, who are the only ones who drink water).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20098 on: February 28, 2012, 11:49:43 am »

So apparently rivers that don't freeze entirely or instantly go stagnant forever. Yeah, the stagnant-water condition needs to be set up so that it goes away when a flow is directed through a tile.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20099 on: February 28, 2012, 11:52:46 am »

Countless things need fixing:P At least pumps are an easy workaround for that, unlike so many other issues.
Pages: 1 ... 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 ... 3842