Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1322 1323 [1324] 1325 1326 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098397 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19845 on: February 24, 2012, 10:24:31 am »

My Gem-Cutter was drafted as an axe dwarf and was repeatedly stabbed with a spear, his steel armor blocked most of the damage but there weren't enough gauntlets to go around. His arm was torn open and his hand was completely severed. After a brief visit to the hospital he decided he had absolutely no time for the Chief Medical Dwarfs bullshit and immediately went back to work.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #19846 on: February 24, 2012, 10:36:35 am »

moving water from outside pools into a cistern underground to avoid winter freezing and general loss of stuff. this with Masterwork mod.
so I punch the holes in the lakes and the water start draining underground.
Now YOU tell me where would YOU, the outpost Liason AND the dorf merchant decide to pass to reach my trade depot?! yeah! in the middle of the draining lakes.
so you fall down my cistern, all five+ Z level, and DROWN. except for the liason. he just got his right arm atom-smashed by the force of impact, but he managed to swim back up and out...like terminator two... "HEY i'm your liason from the mountainhomes, let's discuss our situations" *without an arm, leaving blood everywhere.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19847 on: February 24, 2012, 10:53:30 am »

Well, it's contaminated now. Bummer. But salt water has no effect on (soapy) baths and the one wounded guy I ever had didn't have any negative effects/thoughts from it either. I checked.

I relaid everything in the cistern with blocks but to no avail. Water is still salt. For a completely looney and unrelated project I've been pumping ocean-water directly on to red sand floor (surrounded by stone walls) and this water isn't salt. Wut.

Anyway. I just saw the sweetest thing ever in-game. There were 5 goblin ambushes in short order. The first killed a single axedwarf and shot a farmer in the foot before/while being murdered by a second single axedwarf. An ambush elsewhere shot a goose, murdered a trader (useless sod) and killed a dwarf. Elsewhere an other dwarf was killed as well. Another dwarf was also wounded, in the leg.

Right, three dwarves dead.

Thieves appeared. Lots of them. Whatever, cage traps. One got spotted by a gem cutter far away from the traps. (note to self: don't bother gathering plants. Dangerous and pointless) She slashed the cutter in the arm.

All three wounded dwarfs are brought to hospital and treated with surprising efficiency. The gem cutter with the arm wound left first. Now here's the sweet thing. The farmer with the foot-wound was thirsty and her treatments had just finished. I think she was on her way to get a drink. Suddenly my legendary blacksmith comes rushing in with a bucket, fills it, rushes back out and gives it to the farmer even though she had already left the hospital! :D
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19848 on: February 24, 2012, 10:58:37 am »

Autumn comes, and that oldest immigrant brat grew up.  He's doing some basic hauling while I figure out which starting industry he's likely to spend the rest of his life in.

The autumn immigrant wave arrives.  Once again half kids.  >:(  Of the three adults, two have fishing related skills.  The other is a mason with Hammerdwarf ranks.  Lovely.  There's no river on the map, and the first cavern appears to be as dry as a bone (looking for a spot to drain my resevoir into, if necessary, I'll just have it drain into the lowest point that opens to the edge of the map.)  There are murky pools on the map, but they are few in number and small.  What the hell do these fishers (noob fishers at that) think they're going to catch here?  Maybe if they're lucky, they might find some turtles.  I'm not wasting labor on fishing though, so time to see where they're needed.  One just has 2 ranks in Fish Cleaning and no other skills.  He's the other fisher's cousin, but she doesn't seem to know him at all.  He has no other family in the fort.  So he got "volunteered" to tap the volcano.

Got what ore was useful in the tunnels I dug under the spaces where the magma smelther and forges will be.  Then I send him in to carve the fortifications.  I read magma's acting a bit differently, so I sent an expendable dorf in who wouldn't be missed, the magma is more important than he is right now.  He carved it and ran like hell, didn't even get singed, but then I had the fortifications set where the magma would have to flow diagonally out of the volcano and then diagonally into the tunnels.  That may have slowed it enough to be tapped safely.  He maybe ne needed to do this again later, I'm also setting up an obsidian farm, and I'll need to tap magma for that too.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19849 on: February 24, 2012, 11:03:51 am »

You could drain your reservoir by smoothing stone on the edge of the map and then carving fortifications in it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19850 on: February 24, 2012, 11:13:14 am »

My Gem-Cutter was drafted as an axe dwarf and was repeatedly stabbed with a spear, his steel armor blocked most of the damage but there weren't enough gauntlets to go around. His arm was torn open and his hand was completely severed. After a brief visit to the hospital he decided he had absolutely no time for the Chief Medical Dwarfs bullshit and immediately went back to work.
You should give him a extra engraving for that. (if applicable)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19851 on: February 24, 2012, 11:15:20 am »

Well, that was fortuitous. He even transformed back. What to do, what to do...
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19852 on: February 24, 2012, 11:16:24 am »

Well, that was fortuitous. He even transformed back. What to do, what to do...
Isnt it obvious?
WEAPONIZE!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19853 on: February 24, 2012, 12:28:43 pm »

Kosoth Zuglaredan, a stoneworker and miltiadorf was released from hospital recently. He promptly gave me two pages of "can't pick up equipment: too injured" so I temporarily put him out of the militia. He then went to clean himself, walked to a bar pile, to a piece of soap. And walked back. Walked to the soap. Walked back. He can no longer grasp. He can't pick up the soap.  :'(

So I forbade all soap and now he'll wash without soap, but then I still have to figure out what to do.

Edit; he can't do his stoneworking any more and I lost a decent swordsdwarf. :(

Poor bugger. Can't do anything anymore but walk around forlornly. Can't clean, can't store owned items.

He is now your broker and bookkeeper.
Almost, but not quite. He's dead. 
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19854 on: February 24, 2012, 12:45:41 pm »

I feel kind of bad for the Mantis People. One came in through the roof to explore my fortress and had it's head cut off and now a caravan guard just chased one down and bit off it's legs.

rooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19855 on: February 24, 2012, 12:59:18 pm »

In my fort one does not idle, rest or sleep. Trying to break the rules is hard with the strict social control...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19856 on: February 24, 2012, 01:07:50 pm »

My fort has now a new enemy : the dwarf merchants from the dwarven caravan.

During that trading session we made a very good deal, my dwarves were even generous enough to let the merchants have a bit more than 1000 of "profit" , and those traders refused each time, wanting my dwarves to obviously increase their profit that was already rather high.

And after a while of those merchants absurdly refusing, they suddenly decided my dwarves werent serious enough to trade anymore, leaving with some items i really had an use in the current situation.

In past trading we had nice deals, so i wasn't expecting that time those dwarven merchants greed would know no limit.
Even the humans and the elves merchants were reasonnable, next time the dwarven caravan come, i'll give them a well deserved reward for their greed, a very very cheap death trap.
Will give them a great "profit", heh.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19857 on: February 24, 2012, 01:20:19 pm »

I feel kind of bad for the Mantis People. One came in through the roof to explore my fortress and had it's head cut off and now a caravan guard just chased one down and bit off it's legs.
Alright there's something wrong with this guy. He just ran off after a giant hamster, bit off it's toe, and then it bit off his hand. He apparently felt a bond with the hamster after taking turns mutilating each other and walked back to the trade depot.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19858 on: February 24, 2012, 01:22:39 pm »

My fort had a lot of trouble with a necromancer siege where (I think) the necromancers kept reviving parts of each other.  A minotaur decided to invade while I was still figuring out how to deal with this, and I also had made some mistakes with how my burrows were set up so I had a lot of dwarfs messing around not doing anything while random people were getting killed.  Also I had some vampires which I hadn't had time to deal with during this.  I was starting to think my fortress was doomed.

Then things started to go my way.

1)  The necromancers (and random parts of the necromancers) seemed to stop coming back to life.  I guess a hidden necromancer either died or left.

2)  Realized that my stockpiles 1 Z-level down were not part of my burrow, I fixed that and my fortress started operating again.

3)  I FINALLY managed to lure the minotaur onto my dodge/pit trap, and he exploded on impact with the floor of the pit.

4)  With the immediate danger gone, I let my dwarfs leave the burrows and started mass production of coffins to house the dead.  These coffins filled up fast, but I think mostly everyone is properly buried.

5)  Figured out who my three vampires were, and built levers in small rooms for them to pull.  Then I sealed them up with walls.  Their screams of anguish and hunger will keep my dwarf noblemen entertained for years.

6)  Grabbed a bunch of dwarfs and assigned them to the military to replace all my dead ones.  Hopefully they'll figure out how to train a bit.

7)  Restarted production of everything.

8 )  Dug down past all the cavern layers until I found magma.  Starting digging out a secondary fort for metal workers.  Then we can start making armor and weapons.

I'm glad I didn't give up when I thought hope was nearly lost.  :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:25:11 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19859 on: February 24, 2012, 01:33:54 pm »

My fort has now a new enemy : the dwarf merchants from the dwarven caravan.

During that trading session we made a very good deal, my dwarves were even generous enough to let the merchants have a bit more than 1000 of "profit" , and those traders refused each time, wanting my dwarves to obviously increase their profit that was already rather high.

And after a while of those merchants absurdly refusing, they suddenly decided my dwarves werent serious enough to trade anymore, leaving with some items i really had an use in the current situation.

In past trading we had nice deals, so i wasn't expecting that time those dwarven merchants greed would know no limit.
Even the humans and the elves merchants were reasonnable, next time the dwarven caravan come, i'll give them a well deserved reward for their greed, a very very cheap death trap.
Will give them a great "profit", heh.

I've had exactly the same situation the second time the Dwarven caravan came. I missed it the first time. I prepared levered spikes and a supported ceiling to cave in over them should it go wrong again but I had no issues this time. It might help if you do the trading in tiny chunks and keep the expensive stuff aside.

Pages: 1 ... 1322 1323 [1324] 1325 1326 ... 3842