Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1320 1321 [1322] 1323 1324 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098212 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19815 on: February 23, 2012, 08:26:36 pm »

It does get purified by a pump, but if it touches any kind of natural space after that, it becomes stagnant/salty again. The way to remedy that is to build an entirely artificial reservoir out of stone.

This has actually been proven false. Somewhere on this forum there's a thread with some awesome reservoir SCIENCE that explains
this

....Wow, just how powerful does turning undead make something?! I sent my militia commander after a great horned owl corpse before it scared my dorfs away from the wagon, but I ended up with one dead militia commander before he even swung once. WTF
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:28:55 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19816 on: February 23, 2012, 08:28:51 pm »

It does get purified by a pump, but if it touches any kind of natural space after that, it becomes stagnant/salty again. The way to remedy that is to build an entirely artificial reservoir out of stone.

This has actually been proven false. Somewhere on this forum there's a thread with some awesome reservoir SCIENCE that explains this

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95811.0

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19817 on: February 23, 2012, 08:43:21 pm »

Ah. What Sphalerite suggests is that once a tile has been marked as salty, it will stay salty. If it's a carved reservoir it will remain fresh. :P

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19818 on: February 23, 2012, 09:20:12 pm »

Holy shit. My squad has just taken out 2 forgotten beasts in a row, just a few minutes between each, without taking a single fatality. They're missing a few limbs and a hell of a lot of blood, but they're alive.

Every one of these tough bastards gets a tomb.

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19819 on: February 23, 2012, 09:21:56 pm »

Antmen Put my Fortress under siege.

there were probably 60-80 Antmen soldiers there.

ONE Dwarf (with the combined failure of eight others, who all died and barely did anything, if nothing), And four or Six Dogs took on Those 60-80
They killed 21, And would've gotten more, had the other Antmen not retreated.
Here's the wild thing.
The Dwarf was Killing the Antmen with a wooden buckler, and the last one that the dwarf killed was killed by a Pickaxe, And She (The dwarf) Never took a single hit of damage, Each Attack was parried, not dodged.
From now On, Mistem Shadmal Berkol Lemlor, or, in english: Mistem Confuseochre the Earthen Wheels-Orange of fanciness, Is My hero and Savior of all my fortresses, and must be worshiped accordingly.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19820 on: February 23, 2012, 09:34:34 pm »

First werebeast of .34 a wererhino.

She chased around a bunch of wild boar, killed two for my butcher.  And turned back into a human shortly after a single copper bolt from my military shattered her femur.

Was considering letting her go since she did more good than harm, but my boys smelled blood and ran her down before she got off map.  Oh well.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19821 on: February 23, 2012, 09:45:13 pm »

This has actually been proven false. Somewhere on this forum there's a thread with some awesome reservoir SCIENCE that explains this

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95811.0

Wow, nice.  DF is one of the few places where I'm entertained by being proven wrong :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19822 on: February 23, 2012, 11:02:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TL;DR version: started a zero-point embark. A hard first year, but now that that trade caravan has arrived, everything else should be as normal.
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #19823 on: February 23, 2012, 11:06:43 pm »

One of my Plebeians went crazy and took over the craftdwarf shop, then proceeded to give birth.... was that her masterpiece?  :D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19824 on: February 23, 2012, 11:12:58 pm »

TL;DR version: started a zero-point embark. A hard first year, but now that that trade caravan has arrived, everything else should be as normal.

Damn man. Good read.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19825 on: February 23, 2012, 11:24:33 pm »

Unfortunately, my game keeps crashing on me when the humans come to trade, so I think I'll have to scrap this fort.  I'll just say it sank into the swamp.

A shame too, I had finally reached the magma sea and was carving out my forges, and I was starting to lay the foundations of the outer walls.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #19826 on: February 23, 2012, 11:59:39 pm »

I've embarked on a half-haunted area and I've got an aquifer under me that seems to be messing with me.  I go around it a bit, dig a level down and find it again.  Repeat three levels down with tunnels everywhere and a frustrated overseer trying to get past it.

I do know all the breaching tricks for aquifers, but I'd rather just go around it if I can.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19827 on: February 24, 2012, 12:25:48 am »

I've just embarked upon a 3/4ths evil area, and a cloud of accursed vapor just drifted by....right into a group of giant thrips, turning them into giant thrips accursed vapor zombies! Double-timing the stockpiling of everything as I speak

Edit: Damn these things are tough! My hammerdorf has put every limb in the red, bashed off the wings, and broken the heart, lungs and brain(they're all blue) AND. IT. STILL. WONT. DIE

Edit edit: The other 5 just rushed me while I had about every dorf dogpiling the first(it was right on top my wagon), so thats the end of that. New plan: Embark with swordsdorf instead of hammerdorf
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:36:50 am by tryrar »
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19828 on: February 24, 2012, 01:14:41 am »

This was a good read.  Keep us updated.

...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19829 on: February 24, 2012, 01:48:51 am »

Lol, there's about 3 grasshopper men being chased by three milkfish corpses...though it stops being funny when I noticed they're coming straight for my fort....
Pages: 1 ... 1320 1321 [1322] 1323 1324 ... 3842