Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098225 times)

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19800 on: February 23, 2012, 04:31:28 pm »

I'm pretty new to this game, so not a whole lot.  I'm struggling to get a secure source of fresh water, and trying to start a military to keep them damn goblins from stealing my babies!

I started blogging about it too.  www.6plusbb.blogspot.com
Awesome. Thanks for sharing this. I particularly like the pictures of your fort layout.

Thanks!  I just realized I have the isometric viewer installed with the Lazy Newb package, so I might mix that in for future posts. 

I have to tell the tail of my failed attempt at making clean drinking water next.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19801 on: February 23, 2012, 04:58:38 pm »

It's raining Elf Blood.  Again.  The entire surface of the map is now stained red with Elf Blood.  Every time a dorf goes aboveground they have to wash themselves in the nearest murky pool.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19802 on: February 23, 2012, 05:17:32 pm »

Kosoth Zuglaredan, a stoneworker and miltiadorf was released from hospital recently. He promptly gave me two pages of "can't pick up equipment: too injured" so I temporarily put him out of the militia. He then went to clean himself, walked to a bar pile, to a piece of soap. And walked back. Walked to the soap. Walked back. He can no longer grasp. He can't pick up the soap.  :'(

So I forbade all soap and now he'll wash without soap, but then I still have to figure out what to do.

Edit; he can't do his stoneworking any more and I lost a decent swordsdwarf. :(

Poor bugger. Can't do anything anymore but walk around forlornly. Can't clean, can't store owned items.

He is now your broker and bookkeeper.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19803 on: February 23, 2012, 05:42:32 pm »

im trying to make a hedgehog people farm, but I havent got any hedgehog childs...

is there any limits in the raws for it?

actually, scratch that, my peasants thought that fighting what they were pitting was a good idea and I now lost my hedgehog man...

brb now this is a giant langur farm.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19804 on: February 23, 2012, 05:57:58 pm »

1.  Kill a couple giant animals. 
2.  Make a few dozen high-quality lavish meals. 
3.  Trade those meals for a bunch of giant animals.
4.  Make hundreds of high-quality lavish meals.
5.  Profit doesn't begin to describe it.  Bargaining power increases exponentially!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19805 on: February 23, 2012, 06:10:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I want those worldgen parameters. SO BADLY.

When I get them from my friend this weekend, I will upload them for the world.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19806 on: February 23, 2012, 06:17:59 pm »

First human caravan arrived at the same time as the first goblin ambush. A few feet away from each other. Only one human died and he was a (quite efficient) guard so it wasn't too awful.

In an after-battle orgy of violence (barracks were locked due to miasma) against hapless capybaras one of my militia apparently fell into a murky pond and drowned. He was only even reported missing/dead when I cut through the side of the pool (making a soggy mess out of part of my base) to bury him.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19807 on: February 23, 2012, 06:21:49 pm »

Just embarked on an evil ocean bordering a wilderness swamp. Unfortunately, it seems the only FUN the evil portion produces is loathsome slime rain that causes fever, nausea, and my dwarves to trail pus. On the bright side, I have iron, flux and coal!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19808 on: February 23, 2012, 06:36:44 pm »

Hmm. I sort of recall being able to filter salt water via pumping, does that still work? I've got a reservoir full of water laced with salt and although it's perfectly fine for washing (and drinking, apparently) it still seems a bit odd.

To clarify, I linked a moat to the ocean and a small chamber of water to the bottom of the moat. This chamber fills with salt water and a pump above it pumps it into a reservoir beneath my hospital wells. It was a clay-ish sort of soil where I made this reservoir but I laid floors and built walls all-round. Unless I missed a spot (which doesn't seem unlikely) it should be fresh water.
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19809 on: February 23, 2012, 07:18:49 pm »

Lol, a peregrine falcon tried to pick a fight with my expedition leader(who also happens to be a miner). 3 guesses how THAT turned out....
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19810 on: February 23, 2012, 07:36:28 pm »

Hmm. I sort of recall being able to filter salt water via pumping, does that still work? I've got a reservoir full of water laced with salt and although it's perfectly fine for washing (and drinking, apparently) it still seems a bit odd.

To clarify, I linked a moat to the ocean and a small chamber of water to the bottom of the moat. This chamber fills with salt water and a pump above it pumps it into a reservoir beneath my hospital wells. It was a clay-ish sort of soil where I made this reservoir but I laid floors and built walls all-round. Unless I missed a spot (which doesn't seem unlikely) it should be fresh water.

Did you build the pump on constructed floors with constructed ceilings?  Whenever I have to build purifier pumps I always build everything that touches the pump or the water after the pump, including the ceilings.  Probably overkill.  I'd verify the floor under the pump first.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19811 on: February 23, 2012, 07:42:35 pm »

It does get purified by a pump, but if it touches any kind of natural space after that, it becomes stagnant/salty again. The way to remedy that is to build an entirely artificial reservoir out of stone.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19812 on: February 23, 2012, 08:01:51 pm »

Woah. Somehow an artifact stork bone crossbow ended up in the garbage dump. I thank Armok for showing me this before I sent the lever to be pulled...

Also, my fortress is suffering from an outright overload of goblin corpses to process. There are about 50 dead goblins in various parts in and around my fortress, and I have ~120 dwarves. That's not to mention all their clothes, the corpses of their mounts, trolls, equipment to be melted..... and suggestions on how to speed up the grind?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:08:02 pm by Stoup »

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #19813 on: February 23, 2012, 08:19:17 pm »

A mob of 36 migrants was just murdered by a squad of kobolds. Figures.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19814 on: February 23, 2012, 08:20:33 pm »

A mob of 36 migrants was just murdered by a squad of kobolds. Figures.
That's... horrible.... I take it the kobold forgot to steal anything in the process?
Pages: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 3842