Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1311 1312 [1313] 1314 1315 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097188 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19680 on: February 22, 2012, 07:23:37 am »

More immigrants. One was a competent macedwarf- the only dwarf in the fort with any sort of military training so he's the militia commander.
We're up to 25 now.

The sixteen-year-old went fey and stumbled around for a while until i figured out what he wanted and built a Leather Workshop. He claimed it then sat there doing nothing because we have no leather. I ordered one of the extra horses to be butchered, as we have two females, a male foal and a male.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19681 on: February 22, 2012, 07:34:20 am »

I have a hammerer who doesn't even carry a hammer (nor has he hammered anyone yet) and I have a legendary weaponsmith with a fondness for warhammers. Therefore, I have multiple masterful silver warhammers. They're useful in case of goblins, but I can easily see them being a bit too much in the hands of a hammerer.
They only grab a hammer when he is going to punish somebody.
Thought so, thanks.

Also, my HM weaver's got a fey mood and while he was tromping about in the caverns looking for materials he was attacked by an elk bird and later by a crundle.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19682 on: February 22, 2012, 08:04:07 am »

My second year brought a siege.  Unlike past fortresses, I was self-contained.  Unfortunately, the dwarf caravan was slaughtered.  I've since moved the trade depot inside.  I closed off the fortress, positioned my single squad behind the corridor of deadfall traps.  Then I let the goblins in.  Unfortunately, they made it through the trapped corridor.  My squad was ablt to hold them off and inflict sufficient damages, but they did not last long.  In the end, my hunters wound up taking potshots at the goblins down the corridor until they broke and ran.

I need figure our how to train my military faster.  These guys had good equipment, but were wiped out.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19683 on: February 22, 2012, 08:08:02 am »

2 man groups and have them spar, for the easy dirty method. SCIENCE is still being performed on when to use demonstrations, larger squads etc.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19684 on: February 22, 2012, 08:46:05 am »

Don't you ever let your chickens or whatever birds you took with you breed without having enough room for them (especially in a terrifying biome that reanimates the dead) ... my wood cutter and his trustworthy axe have a lot of work to do with 30 zombie turkeys!!!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19685 on: February 22, 2012, 08:51:54 am »

chick got kicked in the head by zombie chick leg?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19686 on: February 22, 2012, 08:55:38 am »

Pretty much. And now because my dwarves are scared by the zombie chicks they don't want to dump their dead bodies at the atomsmasher.
My cat got killed as well. And then my wood cutter had to kill the cat two times already ...
Never bred chicken before ... how could I know that their population explodes this dramaticly. I thought if I let them breed their eggs I would get like 5 to 10 more chicks but not 50!

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19687 on: February 22, 2012, 08:57:16 am »

First goblin ambush shows up in the fourth year, and as might be expected from the total absence of any walls, they're Marksgoblins.

Fortunately my first militia squad charge out for some hammer time. The goblins manage to loose one bolt at a dwarf (who happened to be the commander, and blocked the shot rather contemptuously with his shield) and then pincushioned a horse in the meeting area, although they failed to kill it (although my butcher proved more effective at this, even unarmed).

Much goblin-smashing ensued, however in the carnage somehow a goblin managed to put bolts in both of my militia commander's legs.

He has been treated in hospital, and my mayor assures me he'll make a full recovery... he's a Legendary Consoler though, so I'm not sure if he's just saying that to make me feel better. As soon as the commander was out of hospital he went back to training his squad, and is currently leading a Misc. Object demonstration.

I can just imagine him lying on the ground - since he can't stand yet - saying "Right lads, this is how you weaponise a splint!"

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19688 on: February 22, 2012, 09:08:03 am »

Got lucky with my new migrants. One is a high master armorer and she's great in all fighting skills. Since my world is only in year 6 I thought this might be a vampire but she seems to be safe.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19689 on: February 22, 2012, 09:09:06 am »

First goblin ambush shows up in the fourth year, and as might be expected from the total absence of any walls, they're Marksgoblins.

Fortunately my first militia squad charge out for some hammer time. The goblins manage to loose one bolt at a dwarf (who happened to be the commander, and blocked the shot rather contemptuously with his shield) and then pincushioned a horse in the meeting area, although they failed to kill it (although my butcher proved more effective at this, even unarmed).

Much goblin-smashing ensued, however in the carnage somehow a goblin managed to put bolts in both of my militia commander's legs.

He has been treated in hospital, and my mayor assures me he'll make a full recovery... he's a Legendary Consoler though, so I'm not sure if he's just saying that to make me feel better. As soon as the commander was out of hospital he went back to training his squad, and is currently leading a Misc. Object demonstration.

I can just imagine him lying on the ground - since he can't stand yet - saying "Right lads, this is how you weaponise a splint!"
Do dwarves have knees?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19690 on: February 22, 2012, 09:10:15 am »

yes. and shoulders and hips, but they are usually only broken with bolts and arrows or with wrestling.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19691 on: February 22, 2012, 09:14:56 am »

Okaaay ... so maybe one of my farmers will die due to the injuries suffered by fighting a zombie gobbler! Skull fractured, lungs bruised, spine bruised ... shit, how strong are those things?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19692 on: February 22, 2012, 09:20:52 am »

most likely got swarmed.

next time eggs hatch, put the chicks in a cage.

note that turkeys usually have 8 - 12 eggs, chickens 4 - 10. Check how many they have with (t) to look in the nest boxes, (f)orbid any you want to have hatch, then let your dwarfs take any you think are surplus

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19693 on: February 22, 2012, 09:28:13 am »

He definitely couldn't get swarmed because my wood cutter made sure there's at most two corpses at the same time living. In the end I was able to put all of the corpses in one room and close it. Though I ran out of booze ...

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19694 on: February 22, 2012, 09:33:26 am »

I have a vampire soldier pratolling my living area 24/7, he witnessed  another vampire soldier sucking blood of a farmer.
Now who the hell should I convict?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: 1 ... 1311 1312 [1313] 1314 1315 ... 3842