Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1299 1300 [1301] 1302 1303 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096310 times)

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19500 on: February 20, 2012, 08:21:23 am »

The Ghostly Macedwarf has been laid to rest. It looks like he somehow managed to get killed by zombies during the seige antics, fortunately his corpse was still around so he could be buried. Now I need to relocate the makeshift cemetery before the local necromancers visit...

Progress on the quarry is slow, since dwarves for some reason can't dig water. However I'm draining the aquifer into itself and walling up the edge tiles, hopefully once that's done I can just take out the soggy bits in the middle and it'll eventually dry out again.

And, for the first time in four years, migrants have arrived. I was starting to think that my plans for a Well of Eternity would have to be put on indefinite hold, however one of the new fishery workers has unusually pointy teeth and wears a black cloak. I've invited her to aid on my construction project by safely walling herself off in a cell until the Well is ready to begin.

(edit) Annnd almost immediately, Undead siege with goblin ambush. I'll just let them sort it out amongst themselves, I think.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:27:36 am by Calech »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19501 on: February 20, 2012, 08:24:05 am »

Not if I have something to say... marksdwarves ? obsidian ?
Depending on how fast it raises you should be able to kill it with a bolt and let it's body burn to nothing.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19502 on: February 20, 2012, 08:35:13 am »

Not if I have something to say... marksdwarves ? obsidian ?
Depending on how fast it raises you should be able to kill it with a bolt and let it's body burn to nothing.

It's a necromancer siege in a nonevil biome, and i killed two necromancers with silver spiked balls. The remaining one fled, so I'm pretty sure there won't be any raising.

I'll try marksdwarves, but IDK if they can target it in my magma moat. They can in water, but in magma ??

Also zombies are laughably easy to kill with traps. Most of them die from one or two silver spiked ball hits.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19503 on: February 20, 2012, 09:00:23 am »

It's.... wow, my dwarfs actually seem to prefer prepared meals over raw stuff. Downside: no ridiculously easy and overpriced tradegoods anymore
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19504 on: February 20, 2012, 09:34:07 am »

So a Blind Cave Ogre and wall teamed up to kill one of my dwarves. The wall apparently took credit for the kill, because the Ogre didn't get a name. I sent my dwarves after it, expecting a grueling battle, and my mayor was the first to reach it. I finally have a competant mayor, because he was simply having none of that Ogre's shit. He hacked it up with his steel battle axe, and kicked it in the eyelid and the throat, eventually knocking it out and hacking at it's head until it died.

Despite the death, and the full hospital due to a bit of a backfire in an unrelated plan involving dropping goblins through the ceiling of my dining hall, it looks like there'll be no tantrum spiral, thanks to my dwarves being distracted the Awesomest Lever In The World.

Krythorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19505 on: February 20, 2012, 09:36:27 am »

So the head of my military is chosen as Mayor and because of some earlier 'accidents' he's the only decent military dwarf I've got left so I opt to keep him in the military.

Sure enough a few years later he ends up getting several limbs fractured. Only the human diplomat is here so he opts to go conduct a meeting in this state but faints halfway through it and is dragged back to his bed.

The diplomat naturally decides to hang around his bedroom and whilst the doctor's out fetching thread and leaving him all alone in there with the patient it's at this point I realise it's a dwarf instead of a human so out of curiosity I examine them. 'Dwarven Vampire Law Giver'.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19506 on: February 20, 2012, 09:39:58 am »

That old dorf who killed the boar is on my military, I thought he was a vampire but it turned out that he is just a normal badass fat dorf.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19507 on: February 20, 2012, 10:21:48 am »

The goblin ambush forces were apparently well-trained in the fine art of zombie-slaying - they circled the map and killed (or re-killed, I guess) every last zombie with ruthless precision, pausing only to snipe the war dogs I had stationed by my entrance bridge to catch goblin ambushers and thieves.

Unfortunately for them, this process cost them their entire ammunition supply - being a Marksgoblin squad, they resorted to smacking the last couple of zombies with their crossbows.

A migrant wave chose this moment to show up, so I let them in and stationed my militia - who were now waving their wooden training swords and shouting something about being 'legendary' - beside the bridge.

The goblins discovered that although training weapons can't usually do more than fracture the occasional bone, Dwarves love a good brawl and will punch, kite, bite, and otherwise molest their enemies even when armed. Although there were some difficult episodes when the downed goblins were hacked in the heads for about 50 log pages to no effect, all of the goblins were eventually slain... somehow... except one, who I assume was allowed to crawl away to carry the story to his peers.

Later that year, the dwarven caravan rolls up - and is followed by two (edit - four, actually, and about 5-6 thieves as well) squads of goblin ambushers, this time armed with greataxes. Between the caravan guards and my militia, both ambushes are dispatched - the resulting loot allows me to buy out the caravan once again. At this rate I might even be able to afford to give my militia some armour (they don't have any yet) or even proper weapons!

The plans for a Well of Eternity have suffered a major setback - my Vampire was safely sealed off from my dwarves, but not from the local wildlife - a Giant Moth swooped in and eventually pushed the vampire to death. Next time I'll need a better prison...

Oh, and the aquifer has been sealed off on the current level now, there's just a small outcrop of damp soil that I need to dig out a little more carefully, then we can move on to the next level - which is probably all aquifer, I suspect - and then we can move towards actual stone layers at last.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:26:42 am by Calech »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19508 on: February 20, 2012, 10:37:46 am »

Oh my... This is a massacre...
15 migrants were grinded by a pack of vicious 2 and 1 humped zombies camels..... Only 3 survived.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19509 on: February 20, 2012, 10:57:00 am »

Horrible disaster just happened.
A Giantess of gigantic human appearance appeared on the surface and ran straight to one of my cage trap.Looked rather funny that a small cage can contain a gigantic creature..

And then the 3rd goblin Siege army appeared.

This time, there wasn't the lot of Dwarf caravan guards that helped so much against the 2nd Goblin Siege army (unfortunately they all died, fortunately they left good armor pieces behind them).

So it was only my 20 soldiers (mixed axedwarves and marskdwarves, most sadly only recruits as previous battle against goblins and monsters or uninvited guests killed so many experienced dwarves soldiers) army and ... more than 80 goblins, trolls and jabberers

The trolls immediately ran in my cage trap, unfortunately, it took nearly all of them to capture those monsters.

Then the many goblins and jabberers arrived near my fort and started moving into the trapped corridor, once the cage trap were all full, i sent my soldiers to stop them.

Unfortunately my marksdwarves either forgot to take their bolts or have decided just now to be completely inefficient, because the 14 goblin crossbowmen that were near that corridor murdered nearly all my soldiers in no time, then it was a piece of cake for the insane amount of goblin lashers and axers led by a swordmaster and a mace lord to annihilate the completely useless recruits i just made  as new squads, 83 dwarves were killed in this siege.

The Baron himself (a Trader that was elected Mayor and became a Baron once the dwarven kingdom offered to make him a noble as a thank you for all the Fortress worth and killing achievement) fell under the crossbows of the goblins, only to be finished by their Jabberers

The Fort entrance had breached with many soldiers killed while defending it

The workfloor, theater of the last attempt of the Dwarf last stand was finally invaded

The hospital had been witness of a horrible carnage, showing how evil and merciless those goblins were.

Even the living quarters had been overwhelmed, the goblins butchered everything.

And so fell into oblivion the newly appointed Barony that had a dwarf+monsters death count of 354 , creators of 9 marvelous artifacts, victorious of a Titan, a Giantess and 2 Forgotten Beasts, destroyed countless undead corpses and many goblins and kobolds.

All of that will now be in the filthy hands of goblins.
Quote from: Blade Runner
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:25:48 am by Robsoie »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19510 on: February 20, 2012, 11:24:49 am »

New embark.  Brought along a whole bunch of defense animals so my dwarves can focus on work.  Just getting started digging underground.  First cavern layer completely full of water.  Second cavern layer looks good for setting up.  Meanwhile on the surface, we just set up the basic temp workshops for churning out some blocks, chairs, beds, etc... Hey what... There's a giant cloud of ash heading for us.  Oh god... why are those raven people suddenly turning on each other?  Everyone underground!  No time to grab the pets & livestock.  So much for that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19511 on: February 20, 2012, 11:32:24 am »

I just noticed on my falling fort, there was a strange creature along the goblin numerous troops (using the tile that are for the demons usually) , "Casot law-giver"
And Casot looks indeed like a demon

I checked the civilization screen , and indeed he's a demon that took over the Goblin civ in the area.
He was probably bored and decided to come along the 3rd Siege army

Oh and my fortress does not die, i found there's a dwarf survivor near the entrance that is stuck in one of my own cage trap.
And monsters all around him (even Casot is standing next to him) are completely ignoring him.
So i guess there's no other way than selecting "Abandon the fortress" now ?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:34:16 am by Robsoie »

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #19512 on: February 20, 2012, 11:35:27 am »

"Hey a haunted biome! I better bring a lot of dogs for protection until I can get some military dorfs!"
"Good boy Rufus! Get those boars! Oh god more of them....... RUFUS NOOOO"
"Rufus... Why do you look like a spanish vocalization?"

Your fortress has crumbled to its end
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19513 on: February 20, 2012, 11:48:27 am »

I just noticed on my falling fort, there was a strange creature along the goblin numerous troops (using the tile that are for the demons usually) , "Casot law-giver"
And Casot looks indeed like a demon

I checked the civilization screen , and indeed he's a demon that took over the Goblin civ in the area.
He was probably bored and decided to come along the 3rd Siege army

Oh and my fortress does not die, i found there's a dwarf survivor near the entrance that is stuck in one of my own cage trap.
And monsters all around him (even Casot is standing next to him) are completely ignoring him.
So i guess there's no other way than selecting "Abandon the fortress" now ?

Wait for migrants.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19514 on: February 20, 2012, 11:54:23 am »

My new fort is undergoing an exciting new project,the Dwarves are breeding unicorns! Zombie Unicorns, also they're all vampires now except the children who I locked into a small cell to act as a black box in case a vampire fortress really does crumble.
Pages: 1 ... 1299 1300 [1301] 1302 1303 ... 3842