Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1295 1296 [1297] 1298 1299 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095975 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19440 on: February 19, 2012, 01:26:37 pm »

A yak thrall just killed all my dwarves but 2, who tantrumed, figured a yak thrall would die to a 10 team of dwarves, nope, now its worshiped as a god in legends for its 20 kills, impressive for a yak.

Easy for a thrall.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19441 on: February 19, 2012, 01:29:08 pm »

Testing Mountain barbarian race, anvil smelting, and rock hammer making.
Gotta get them working for my plans.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19442 on: February 19, 2012, 01:33:43 pm »

I got a wave of migrants. One of the children that arrived had yellow wounds all over his body.

A minute or so later, I was explaining DF to my fiancee when I decided to show her that particular child. There was a slight problem. I couldn't find him and I couldn't zoom to him. Mere seconds later, "A goblin snatcher has kidnapped XXXX!"

That's got to be a kick in the teeth. The kid's parents manage to fight through the wilderness with this injured child in tow. They see the fort and immediately run to the meeting room, leaving the pitiful thing to crawl around for a while before getting kidnapped.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19443 on: February 19, 2012, 01:40:49 pm »

test success. Succesfully casted an iron anvil, and pitchblende warhammers cause horrendous damage even in an unskilled dwarf's hands.

Badger Beater

• Bay Watcher
  • Bushtit women, you say???
    • View Profile
« Reply #19444 on: February 19, 2012, 02:50:45 pm »

Towercontrol has just faced its first goblin siege.

It was horrendous. The towers did not control anything.

First, I cage trapped a large portion of my entrance area, having to enlist the help of the 50 lazy bums in the meeting room, who were there because I couldn't be bothered to assign their professions anyway. They largely succeeded here, trapping up the path from the bridge to my fort's front entrance.

Hoping to entice the goblins, I lowered the bridge...

Queue a Urist McHunter and Urist McFisherdwarf swarm sprinting over the bridge to freedom, pants on head.

Oh balls. I tried to limit the damage by immediately pulling the bridge up. Whilst I watched my hunters being mercilessly butchered, I had to unpause the game about 6 times, once due to a vampire killing and 5 times due to the prolific birthing rate in my fort.

The goblins seemed happy to mill around on the opposite side of the river from my bridge, so I dug under the river to the opposite bank and set up a collapsing room. Just at its completion, I zoomed up to the surface to see they'd suddenly gone up the mountain to shoot down at my dwarves in the walled-off compound from above. I knew I'd forgotten to do something.

Dwarves stuck in limbo as they are frightened off, then try to do their assigned task over and over again, and still 8 more births. Babies born in tunnels, dining rooms, bedrooms, breweries, and Armok knows where else. All of this as a result of the useless migrant swarms.

Frothing at the mouth somewhat, I entertained the goblins by lowering bridge to draw them to the collapsing pad.

Queue another swarm of Urist McHunter and Urist McFisherdwarf running outside with bullseyes on their heads. Ohgodwhy...

Finally widening the collapsing room enough, I felt satisfied. At least I'd be able to get my revenge finally....

Then the goblins just left the map.

AND ALL THE WHILE MORE BABIES EVERYWHERE

!!FUN!! was most definitely had.

Rumour has it that after the great slaughter at Towercontrol, the crazed overseer, in his delirious state after being responsible for the loss of so many dwarves, attempted to rectify the mistake by ordering a series of support columns to be built under the dining hall as a memorial, and declaring a great feast. "Bring the children!" he shouted. "Yes, definitely bring the children..."

Nobody has heard from Towercontrol in a while.

Chipperbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Sustained by Diligent Elephant Hunters
    • View Profile
« Reply #19445 on: February 19, 2012, 03:06:26 pm »

So. My Blacksmith is freaking out. Fey Mood. Keeps wanting... things...

Leather.. Blocks... Life... Bars... Cloth...

Cloth, trees, leather, stone blocks, metal bars. I have these things! I make extras so that they may pick up on it. Why isn't he getting anything? He's just sitting in the Metalsmith's Workshop!

WHHHHY.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19446 on: February 19, 2012, 03:12:28 pm »

So. My Blacksmith is freaking out. Fey Mood. Keeps wanting... things...

Leather.. Blocks... Life... Bars... Cloth...

Cloth, trees, leather, stone blocks, metal bars. I have these things! I make extras so that they may pick up on it. Why isn't he getting anything? He's just sitting in the Metalsmith's Workshop!

WHHHHY.
Metalsmiths often won't work without their favorite metal, check his description.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19447 on: February 19, 2012, 03:18:30 pm »

The closest i saw was once or twice the "has bled to death" message, but in 90% of the battle reports with one of the fighters falling dead, there's just no message in those reports telling it.

As i'm always at 0.34.01 , not being yet finished with that fort, is this problem always existing in 0.34.02 ?
Maybe that was mad to cover all those missing dwarfs? Are those reports from dwarfs killing stuff? I don't see struck down messages too, but all the killings are made by undeads cornering lone dwarf or non-citizen creatures.
That's very likely this problem is a side effect of this new feature.

Just faced some though time in the last 10 minutes
-A Troll, a Cave Crocodile and a Giant Olm spotted in the first underground cave.
Dispatched my main military squad to destroy them (the Troll killed a dwarf that i sent to collect webs, after having killed the Giant Spider around them and losing a ranger in the process)

-During that time 2 Goblin ambush squads killed some dwarves on the surface, they were collecting bunch of bolts lying there (my hunters have been killed many flying creatures, thieves and child snatchers)

Once my main squad that was just finished killing the underground creatures, i sent them to support my fortress guards that was fighting desesperately the goblin squads (they were stronger than i thought) that had not fallen into my many cage traps.

In the end of that battle,  the goblins were killed with a few losses (most being in the fort guards, i lost a good spearman from my main squad unfortunately).
8 goblins are trapped in my cage.

After having stripped the goblins from equipment, i setup a new room, i transported the 8 cages there and i'm in the process of linking all of them to a lever.
My military will make them all pay for the blood of the innocent civilians dwarves they killed.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19448 on: February 19, 2012, 03:32:53 pm »

I am doing some !!SCIENCE!! on the fact that ravens not only steal things, but their descriptions say they can use tools.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19449 on: February 19, 2012, 03:33:15 pm »

WHHHHY.
There's fiber, silk and yarn types of cloth, they're not interchangeable. Right now a berzerking bastard that wanted silk is sitting walled in workshop. And that's after all zombie hair troubles I got through for him, ungrateful bastard.

Migrants came, damn, migrants bring nothing but troubles: chasing the migrants the rest of the kobold zombies made it inside, this wasn't the worst though as a ragtag militia was enough to dispatch them and dump into calm section of the map.
The worst is that an alert was enabled in order to give dwarfs a better idea of where they should move instead of running in circles. Unfortunately this has also allowed a vampire to leave his burrow and to enter dwarven burrow. He had also used that horse hair hysteria to kill two dwarves in a dormitory completely without witnesses. And since the dormitory was also a hospital there were a bunch of completely defenseless dwarves which has almost resulted in a zombie outbreak.

Now the corpses are dumped, everyone is near the edge, my administrator and the lone survivor of initial embark is accidentally sentenced to a year of jail and willow for spikes is bought from humans. I've blamed second death on random zombie so no one interferes with my own justice for that dwarf.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19450 on: February 19, 2012, 03:39:24 pm »

Spoiler: Check the last log (click to show/hide)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19451 on: February 19, 2012, 03:46:46 pm »

Huskified migrants. Beginning of second year. Fun.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19452 on: February 19, 2012, 04:07:12 pm »

Vampire science, commencing...
Initializing vampire science protocol...
Processing...
Printing plans for new vampire tower...
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19453 on: February 19, 2012, 04:22:13 pm »

Huskified migrants. Beginning of second year. Fun.

All of your dwarves should be treated with value now, because you probably won't get any more after that.  Nor caravans.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19454 on: February 19, 2012, 04:24:09 pm »

Kobolds are annoying. One killed a wardog and maimed another. Guess I'll have to rely on war giant leopards.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1295 1296 [1297] 1298 1299 ... 3842