Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1287 1288 [1289] 1290 1291 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095153 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19320 on: February 17, 2012, 04:12:35 pm »

I am trying desperately to out-do the elephant/rhino hunters. Currently, they're providing more meat than my carpenters and craftsdwarves can store in barrels and pots.

Savage wilderness, six years in, and my food stores are already at 8500.

Damn. My hunters NEVER bring in that much no matter what....

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19321 on: February 17, 2012, 04:28:06 pm »

*snip*

Being attacked by undead causes unhappy thoughts.  You are going to have to pamper your military if they see a lot of undead action.

Oh yeah, I know. I had to draft more because otherwise it would've been too much for her. I assigned her the first room, with a bit more luxury than usual and I intend to give her better quality furniture when I have it. She also had the chance to cry on the shoulder of my expedition leader and it helped, so giving the exp. leader consoler wasn't a bad idea. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19322 on: February 17, 2012, 06:10:42 pm »

*snip*

Being attacked by undead causes unhappy thoughts.  You are going to have to pamper your military if they see a lot of undead action.

Oh yeah, I know. I had to draft more because otherwise it would've been too much for her. I assigned her the first room, with a bit more luxury than usual and I intend to give her better quality furniture when I have it. She also had the chance to cry on the shoulder of my expedition leader and it helped, so giving the exp. leader consoler wasn't a bad idea. :P

When you can, smooth and engrave the rooms of your military (barracks, bedrooms, everything, and add statues if there is room.  Set up a mist generator in the sparring area, etc.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19323 on: February 17, 2012, 06:23:49 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I see, you can't be too sure with all these corpses jumping up now and then  ;)

My latest fortress got assaulted by undead giraffes almost immediately after embark. All three hammerdorfs were killed there despite all the points I've wasted on them. A little while later, stupid dorfs paid their cost for not dumping giraffe corpse out of single corridor that was my fortress. So now the population is down to one lazy dwarf with a pick and a considerable supply of food. Well at least enemies didn't learn the mastery of jump yet. But nevertheless, the Paddleattics shall live on!
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19324 on: February 17, 2012, 06:35:10 pm »

One of my axedwarves retrieving a sock from the local brook was accosted by a goblin snatcher. It took her child and ran, unfortunately faster than the axedwarf could keep up. The child was gone forever.

So I decided to check up on the mother, see how she was taking it. No negative though. How strange! So I checked the relations tab to check the child's, Mothkat's, thoughts.

"Mothkat Sacattodom has been ecstatic lately. He is happy to be free."

I know dwarven fortresses are hellish, but goddamn that is cold.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19325 on: February 17, 2012, 06:40:24 pm »

One of my axedwarves retrieving a sock from the local brook was accosted by a goblin snatcher. It took her child and ran, unfortunately faster than the axedwarf could keep up. The child was gone forever.

So I decided to check up on the mother, see how she was taking it. No negative though. How strange! So I checked the relations tab to check the child's, Mothkat's, thoughts.

"Mothkat Sacattodom has been ecstatic lately. He is happy to be free."

I know dwarven fortresses are hellish, but goddamn that is cold.

Parent lets child get abducted. Chance of death is reduced exponentially.
Child gets abducted. Doesn't spend life in a tiny room full of pissed off chickens, and doesn't spend thier life making rock mugs and cat roasts.

Seems like one of the few smart things they do in context.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19326 on: February 17, 2012, 08:07:45 pm »

Sheriff just gave birth.
While suffering from severe bloodloss and burned off fat.
While carrying the remains of a troll through the smoldering remains of cave moss and cattle.

It never rains. It pours.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19327 on: February 17, 2012, 08:29:36 pm »

A giant bushtit I purchased from elves has gone missing.  Something sinister is afoot.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19328 on: February 17, 2012, 08:31:31 pm »

I just finished magmacrab-proofing the furnace workshop zone.

Things are going nicely again.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19329 on: February 17, 2012, 09:01:54 pm »

i surrounded a vampire in walls outside my fort. now he's the automatic alarm system!!!
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19330 on: February 17, 2012, 09:10:06 pm »

I've completed the first recorded cistern of unlife, a well that grants the drinker the powers of the vampire.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19331 on: February 17, 2012, 09:14:30 pm »

I'm so happy right now. the vampire is actually getting slowly eaten by kea. HAHAHA that's what you get for killing Urist Mclegendary miner.

(also I weaponized kea)
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Dekana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19332 on: February 17, 2012, 09:16:36 pm »

Conventfortress had been going well. I moved my temporary living quarters all the way down to the magma sea and then made a set of copper armor and maces. By this point, the zombie ranks on the surface had risen dramatically, and migrants / traders had absolutely no chance to get underground. So I was pretty much stuck with the dwarves I had.

I set up my danger room and drafted the few males into the military (the female nuns had too many babies, bless Armok). Then, disaster struck. At some point during the danger room training, all of the soldiers got their teeth knocked out. All of them. I didn't notice until it was too late, and I certainly didn't have a hospital yet. The dwarves all died from infections - a very severe case of gingivitis. I already excavated a garbage chute into the magma sea, so I dumped all the bodies before they could rise as zombies.

Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. By this point, my dwarves had absolutely had it with their terrible living quarters and diet of plump helmets. The tantrum spiral resulting from the deaths of the soldiers was enough to get the dwarves killing each other, and the sane dwarves couldn't dump the bodies in time. They came back as zombies and destroyed the fort from the inside.

Lessons learned from Conventfortress:
  • Don't butcher anything in a terrifying biome.
  • Danger rooms can knock out all of your dwarves' teeth. (This may be the end of my use of danger rooms)
  • Set up a hospital before training your dwarves.
  • Werecreatures can become undead. They keep transforming back and forth between forms when they are zombies.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19333 on: February 17, 2012, 09:38:17 pm »

I've completed the first recorded cistern of unlife, a well that grants the drinker the powers of the vampire.

Link/proof?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19334 on: February 17, 2012, 09:41:57 pm »

Link/proof?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101368.0
Here's the first time I mentioned it, I'll upload photos but I have to do it again. The first time it was just a proof of concept, this one's built proper. It's in a sealed chamber where the ten selected soldiers will become vampires.
Pages: 1 ... 1287 1288 [1289] 1290 1291 ... 3842