Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1286 1287 [1288] 1289 1290 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096173 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19305 on: February 17, 2012, 11:28:39 am »

WHAT.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19306 on: February 17, 2012, 11:30:40 am »

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19307 on: February 17, 2012, 12:14:23 pm »

My cage traps picked up a couple of animals finally. Brought them in to my animal stockpile and then... suddenly I'm at "10FPS", which seems to translate to 1 move every second and a half. Almost unplayable. And worst part is I don't really know what set the problem off, it might have been the cage traps, might have been all the damn hives I have around the place, might even be the giant splatters of langur blood all over my fortress walls.

Time to start again, methinks...

edit: Should probably mention, this is the embark with the open adamantine vein running 200+ z-levels down. It's possible something's appeared down there or fallen down there or something, but I can't see any culprits on the unit screen.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:17:04 pm by chalicier »

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19308 on: February 17, 2012, 12:32:33 pm »

Got a little fortress on an intersecting neutral/haunted forest. Brought a macedwarf (with mace) and a bunch of dogs for defence against the undead.

Undead weasels, undead storks, undead peregrine falcons (this one was an asshole), ravens and other bastards. They generally fall down after a single mace-hit and if my dwarfs move their corpses to my refuse pile in time they stay down. Where I let them rot before I disassemble their skeletons.

Anyway. I fortified as quick as I could (tiny wall, made of two types of stone (one brought, one dug) and different kinds of wood) and now my first migrants arrived!

The king consort, a herbalist and some children!

Waaaaat.

Also, my woodcutter is unhappy because of a weasel attack and my macedwarfette is very unhappy because of the continuous undead attacks, although she's beaten them marvelously.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Pokey McFork

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_TOOL:FORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19309 on: February 17, 2012, 12:51:43 pm »

54 children arrived in a migrant horde.

This brings me up to 72 dwarves.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19310 on: February 17, 2012, 12:53:58 pm »

I'm building a dark temple. It will be built on the zombifying side of the map and bodies will be taken there to be reanimated.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19311 on: February 17, 2012, 01:49:13 pm »

I had to savescum recently, after the magma glass furnace operators were beat in the head with flaming basalt by magma crabs.

I am in the process of constructing a 300x300 tile chamber that I will flood with magma via a fortification slit. That should keep the flaming constipation chuckers from throwing deadly dookie at my workers. (The ensueing tantrum spiral created 5 berzerk dwarfs which I was not prepared to handle. This should prevent that from happening.)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19312 on: February 17, 2012, 01:57:16 pm »

I embarked on a haunted biome with rain that causes nausea and raises the dead. My war dogs were constantly killing an eagle corpse that kept coming back to life, succeeding until they became effected by the rain. They were spewing as they battled the eagle and kept missing, eventually being torn apart. I drafted my 2 miners and the woodcutter. One miner died, but the animals were put down again. I left my woodcutter on corpse guard duty.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19313 on: February 17, 2012, 02:28:34 pm »

Getting mobbed by a flock of zombie ravens and a zombie panda bear in my first month.  Good thing I brought along a horde of bunnies as distractions.  Too bad those bunnies will also be padding the ranks of the undead soon.  Need to arrange for disposal of remains in the volcano, but there is no path to the top of it.  It's surrounded by sheer cliff faces.  I think digging a quick stairway to the top is my best bet.  Go miners!  Nevermind the horrific bedlam just behind you!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19314 on: February 17, 2012, 02:43:43 pm »

The dark temple works perfectly, the subject is placed on a hatch and dropped down into an identical room with a lever. While down they're down there they come back from the dead and if a siege comes I'll just pack it with bodyparts and corpses, unlock the secondary passage that leads outside the fort, and let them do the heavy lifting. In other news my mayor is a vampire, she now sleeps outside and fights off the undead with an axe and haul things closer to the entrance so the garbage dwarves don't have to put themselves in danger. When she dies I'll have her body thrown into a special well.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19315 on: February 17, 2012, 02:51:15 pm »

Collapsing the towers of necromancers for !!FUN!!.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19316 on: February 17, 2012, 03:15:00 pm »

My fort is being terrorized by an undead horse hair...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19317 on: February 17, 2012, 03:20:37 pm »

Got a little fortress on an intersecting neutral/haunted forest. Brought a macedwarf (with mace) and a bunch of dogs for defence against the undead.

Undead weasels, undead storks, undead peregrine falcons (this one was an asshole), ravens and other bastards. They generally fall down after a single mace-hit and if my dwarfs move their corpses to my refuse pile in time they stay down. Where I let them rot before I disassemble their skeletons.

Anyway. I fortified as quick as I could (tiny wall, made of two types of stone (one brought, one dug) and different kinds of wood) and now my first migrants arrived!

The king consort, a herbalist and some children!

Waaaaat.

Also, my woodcutter is unhappy because of a weasel attack and my macedwarfette is very unhappy because of the continuous undead attacks, although she's beaten them marvelously.

Being attacked by undead causes unhappy thoughts.  You are going to have to pamper your military if they see a lot of undead action.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19318 on: February 17, 2012, 03:59:09 pm »

That horrible fort I mentioned earlier came to an end.

All of the following save for the last part was intentional.

Made all the dwarves go into magma in sight of goblins, saved, deleted the world, deleted Dwarf Fortress, made sure it couldn't be undeleted, and then the laptop the game was on got destroyed in a horrible car-crash (that I walked away from pretty much intact, thank Armok).

So now that my previous fortress is DEAD DEAD DEAD, I can make a new one.
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Chipperbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Sustained by Diligent Elephant Hunters
    • View Profile
« Reply #19319 on: February 17, 2012, 04:10:12 pm »

I am trying desperately to out-do the elephant/rhino hunters. Currently, they're providing more meat than my carpenters and craftsdwarves can store in barrels and pots.

Savage wilderness, six years in, and my food stores are already at 8500.
Pages: 1 ... 1286 1287 [1288] 1289 1290 ... 3842