Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1283 1284 [1285] 1286 1287 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095423 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19260 on: February 16, 2012, 07:17:44 pm »

They say a picture says a thousand words... In this case it's just giant mosquito repeated over and over again.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Any advice on how to deal with 101 giant mosquitoes?
Yes, all of those are giant mosquitoes.

Hope they give you a wide berth or drop dead from old age.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19261 on: February 16, 2012, 07:19:56 pm »

They say a picture says a thousand words... In this case it's just giant mosquito repeated over and over again.
That's not actually a large swarm, they show up in groups of 100-200. Toady just copied their raws from the mosquito neglecting that having as many giant mosquitos as you do regular mosquitos is awful.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19262 on: February 16, 2012, 07:22:24 pm »

That's not actually a large swarm, they show up in groups of 100-200. Toady just copied their raws from the mosquito neglecting that having as many giant mosquitos as you do regular mosquitos is awful.

Other than the FPS drop they dont bother me outside evil biomes. They just give me a VERY wide berth either vertically or to the sides. They seem to know Pikes hurt.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #19263 on: February 16, 2012, 07:31:13 pm »

So there may be more next time then? Great. I'm going to start cage trapping the map so I can make a bloodsuckers' zoo. And when a siege comes, Release the Swarm!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19264 on: February 16, 2012, 07:32:47 pm »

And when a siege comes, Release the Swarm!

This.

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19265 on: February 16, 2012, 07:37:38 pm »

I...may have embarked into a living hell.

There are no strange mists turning all that it touches into mindless thralls. The grass does not have any eyeballs on it. It rains regular pure water. The worst of the wildlife are some thieving monkeys. Only my miner died so far, and 2 replacements have gotten close to his legendary skill.

There's just one problem.

I think there might not be any metal in the entire area. No copper, no gold, no silver, no iron, and apparently even no adamantine.

I am in a hell beyond that which any zombie, twisted sludge, or even the demons could have provided.

What should I do

Nothing worse than boring eh?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19266 on: February 16, 2012, 08:09:09 pm »

Mentionning those dreaded giant mosquitos...

I have a current fort that is running rather well, was having 71 dwarves working.
There were monsters coming but for some reason they stayed on the map borders, only had to deal with a few thief and snatchers that usually landed into one of the cage traps and once stripped from equipment served as targets for my axedwarves.

At some point a kobold thief was attacked by some of my rangers that were using crossbows and bolts.
They were'nt much good at this, not having a lot of training, missing lot of shots.

a nice amount of those shots ended near the border of the map, not broken, and as i decided to allow to claim used ammo (that works) , my brave citizens were rushing out of the entrance going to fetch my bolts.

And it was then that no less than 6 death announcement stacked.
I gave a look and saw a pack of a dozen of giant mosquitos on that specific zone, they were kiiling the poor guys trying hopelessly to get to the bolts.

I dispatched my military squad, and the guards , a total of 20 dwarves to protect the surviving citizens .
After a short battle, the 12 giant mosquitos were all dead, but we lost a wrestler that fell into a small pond and sadly drown there.

Lesson of the day : when you enable the fetching of used ammo, be sure to check the area they're in, in the case of monsters waiting there.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19267 on: February 16, 2012, 08:20:53 pm »

Well, first fort failed due to mosquito man swarms...

The new world I genned, I embarked on a terrifying tundra/untamed wilds mountain range.  The frozen elf blood snow remains on its part of the map along with the zombie yak men, so no trouble there.  Hit a solid magma pool in the second cavern that'll give our industry a jumpstart.

Overall, one thing I have noticed is dwarves are a lot better at picking up weapons and fighting off enemies than in the previous version; I've had to order my miners to use their picks as weapons to defend our cavern space until it's secured, and they've already finished off a cave crocodile, a giant olm, and a crop of troglodytes with no injuries (and no zombies since this is in the non-Terrifying mountains).  Once we remove the ramps we'll be good.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19268 on: February 16, 2012, 08:58:16 pm »

It looks like those death in the giant mosquitos problem started something even worse, as tantrum are thrown left and right in my fort, even the soldiers are exploding.

And it just took a really bad turn

That can never be good

And indeed it wasn't as a poor recruit that was too close got badly injured, but fortunately after a brave dog coming to the rescue, the situation was solved before too much dwarven blood was spilled :

But considering how close everyone is to everyone (i should have never built those meeting hall) , i'm afraid this is just the begining.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19269 on: February 16, 2012, 08:59:42 pm »

An unforseen engineering issue resulted in the collapse of a piece of land precariously balanced 5 Z-levels over a popular open-air statue garden. Five are dead, including the doctor. Oops.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19270 on: February 16, 2012, 09:07:48 pm »

So, a caravan guard attacked something named "Shithatheser" and killed it. I presume it was a zombie. The weird part? The body seems to have split into five different partial skeletons, all exact clones of each other and all of them are rising separately. All of them are missing their upper body, lower body, and head but have all their other parts in red.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19271 on: February 16, 2012, 09:16:33 pm »

There are no strange mists turning all that it touches into mindless thralls. The grass does not have any eyeballs on it. It rains regular pure water. The worst of the wildlife are some thieving monkeys. Only my miner died so far, and 2 replacements have gotten close to his legendary skill.

I think there might not be any metal in the entire area. No copper, no gold, no silver, no iron, and apparently even no adamantine.

I am in a hell beyond that which any zombie, twisted sludge, or even the demons could have provided.

What should I do

BORING? Do you know what it is like to live in an area with no metal? It'll take YEARS before I can make even a single well-equiped millitary force. I have to pretty much request nothing but bars, ores, and barrels from the dwarven caravan.

As I speak, I'm desprately poking holes into the magma sea to see if I can find adamantine. That might literally be the ONLY ORE ON THE MAP.

At least in those terrifying death traps you still can eventually dig out enough metal to outfit an entire armada. Here, I might have to use weapons made out of WOOD.

Let me repeat that. I might have to trade for weapons made by ELVES.

EDIT: My mayor just mandated the construction of a tractor bench. He's mandating to build something USEFUL. Are the nobles becoming less stupid?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:23:44 pm by Bingbing »
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19272 on: February 16, 2012, 09:20:51 pm »

What should I do

BORING? Do you know what it is like to live in an area with no metal? It'll take YEARS before I can make even a single well-equiped millitary force. I have to pretty much request nothing but bars, ores, and barrels from the dwarven caravan.

As I speak, I'm desprately poking holes into the magma sea to see if I can find adamantine. That might literally be the ONLY ORE ON THE MAP.

At least in those terrifying death traps you still can eventually dig out enough metal to outfit an entire armada. Here, I might have to use weapons made out of WOOD.

Let me repeat that. I might have to trade for weapons made by ELVES.

Obsidian swords.  Bone / shell / leather armor.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19273 on: February 16, 2012, 09:32:22 pm »

But considering how close everyone is to everyone (i should have never built those meeting hall) , i'm afraid this is just the begining.

And it didn't took much time, as i was exploring the caverns with my main squads (letting the guards inside the fortress) , Goblin ambush !
Yeah, just what i needed, more dwarves dead to dive even more into the tantrum spiral

I dispatched both my main squads and the fortress guards, and defeated the goblins with only a few losses. But it wasn't finished, some axedwarves went berzerk and oh the distaster !
A zoomed out view of the terrain around my fortress can make you understand what has been going on after that.

The red (playing with the mayday tileset) is exactly what you think it is : blood and gore, all of this (exception of the one to the far east that is from the dwarves vs ambush battle) from the various fights between dwarves.

In total 49 dwarves died since the start of my fortress, easily half of them from axes, spear or sword dwarven maniacs that went berzerk.

I hope the next migrants waves will be of decent skills to replace some of the few invaluable dwarves that i lost in that trainwreck.
And with the ambushes that have started, and my military decimated by internal crazyness, it will be hard to get them surviving what's next.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19274 on: February 16, 2012, 09:34:32 pm »

Construction of the necropolis project is underway.

Fortress and founded community have custom chosen names.
Site: ghostkeepers the towers of holiness
Community: the harvester of souls
Civilization: the iron of land

Construction of initial tombkeeper settlement is progressing nicely, with a population of 57, and a temporary cap of 60, with children disabled.

Embark is directly on top of a volcano, with the vent conveniently in the dead center of the embark.
5x5 embark.

The actual necropolis will be constructed in 4 additional towers surrounding the embark site, combing together to form one giant one overhead, and as high as the map will allow.

Access to the necropolis will be through the tombkeeper complex. All towers will be connected via a single extremely long corridor that leads up to the top. The topmost chamber is where the necromancer is intended to be installed.

Currently invaders are off as the complex gets constructed. Invaders will be re-enabled after the final incarnation of the tombkeeper complex and necroplis towers are ready for corpse preparation/interment.

Wish me luck!
Pages: 1 ... 1283 1284 [1285] 1286 1287 ... 3842