Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1282 1283 [1284] 1285 1286 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095634 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19245 on: February 16, 2012, 01:05:12 pm »

Decided to somehow deal with the extremely unfriendly military system and started playing new version of DF fort mode after what, 2 years?

So far so good, Konosathel got a scenic, snowy cliffside as it's settling ground.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19246 on: February 16, 2012, 01:18:54 pm »

I decided to start a game yesterday, my first serious game in a year or two. It's all going smashingly and I get two smallish waves of migrants before the first traders arrive in the fall. Then I begin to get harrassed by some giant birds stealing my stuff.

I recruit half of my migrants - they actually had fighting skills and were quite good at it. Then I get the message that one of my dwarves has been struck down. As it turns out, they didn't bring any weapons with them.

The giant birds then stole his stuff and flew away, leaving me to deal with a quite successful trading session and the addition of a 20-dwarf migrant wave in the first winter.

e: They were giant kea. Normal kea are described as a large species of parrot. The pictures, however, make them look like small hawks. Wikipedia even says how normal-sized kea can kill sheep. I would hate to see what a giant one can do to a dwarf.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:40:13 pm by Mephisto »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19247 on: February 16, 2012, 01:46:51 pm »

(Wow, what a flood of posts! For the first time in ages, I'm unable to keep up with this thread. Anyway, this is my second fort, after embarking on a field of staring eyes ended predictably badly. :P)

1st of Slate, 129.
Well, our newly-established outpost Zasitathel is being circled by flocks of ravens. I am unsure if this is some kind of omen from Zagod, the deity of war, death and fortresses, or if it perhaps means Mozir The Obscure Belch, the eagle deity, is angry at us. Or maybe the ravens are her servants? I don't know, and I have little time for theology. I have to get this place in working order.
Either way, I won't be ordering any raven tallow roasts made, it's best to keep on the safe side.
Other than that there is little to report. We have a fairly pleasant location, with plenty of trees, plants and water, although the soil is sandy and I doubt we will be able to dig far without hitting the water table.
No matter, we will focus on getting some shelter for now, plans to build pumps and such can wait.
-Mosus Tosttosid, Expedition Leader of Zasitathel, settled in 129 by The Braided Room in the name of the Maroon Trumpets.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19248 on: February 16, 2012, 03:30:46 pm »

after getting my butt kicked one too many times, I cried uncle and forwent the evil areas for now. (I can hear the shouts of Philistine! from here). Though, I DID make sure to be in the area of a Tower for some FUN down the road...

Anyways, things are going along good, I've dug down to the first caven layer to populate my soil with moss(and found a magma pool on cavern 1! Woohoo!). Now it's winter, and I'm being invaded by grey langurs! They don't give a shit about my guard dogs posted at my fort entrance and bust right through, scaring my workers and forcing me to have my militia commander chase them all over the map(queue Benny Hill music). I've got them mostly thinned out for now, but a small row of cage traps is now called for....
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #19249 on: February 16, 2012, 03:39:01 pm »

one vampire is down.
turns out there's another.
lucky me.
to celebrate a kid with a really, really, really dirty mind produced:
Lonesomedrilled! a bone buckler.
on it is the image of a giantess Daze Bristlequests surrounded by dwarves. It relates to an episode called the rampage of the giantess daze bristlequests in Blazetools.
From which she became an enemy of The responsible trumpets.
truly magnificent.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19250 on: February 16, 2012, 03:48:50 pm »

21st of Malachite, 129.
Migrants have arrived at last, and I am rather glad to see them! Morale was fairly low after Cerol the fish cleaner's death- I had ordered him to chase away the flocks of keas that were attacking us, swarming over our food stockpile and taking what they wished, and the fool fell in a pond and drowned. The only one overly affected by this loss was Zulban Besmaristbar, the fisherdwarf. In fact, it was the sound of him crying as he sat there fishing that alerted me to Cerol's death in the first place. I had Degel craft him a crossbow and sent him after those damned birds, at least they're gone now.

No stone in the area could be a problem, as it means we cannot make a memorial for poor Cerol. I suppose that'll have to wait 'til a caravan arrives. For now, I'd best go greet these migrants. We still don't have any bedrooms set up... Curses. At least we have a hunter or two, should make a welcome change from prickle berries and turtles.
-Mosus Tosttosid, Expedition Leader of Zasitathel, settled in 129 by The Braided Room in the name of the Maroon Trumpets.
Booze is Life for Yoink

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #19251 on: February 16, 2012, 03:49:32 pm »

Crossing of terrifying and untamed wild biomes.
Garnierite and tetrahedrite only so far.
The CURIOS STRUCTURE at last cavern, where miner accidentally made an accessible stairs!
Zombie Bull from structure is also very, very curious.
Zombie bull + 3-men squad + miner = zombie bull + 4 zombie dwarves.

FUUUUUN!!!!!!!

I'm in love with it! I'd marry Toady if I was girl... shit, I'd marry him anyway!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19252 on: February 16, 2012, 03:54:57 pm »

FFUUUUUUU-
Goddamnit, just after I made that post I went to save my fort and it crashed. >:( I lost the save, and it was all going so well... In fact, I'm pretty sure it crashed whilst saving my last fort, too, but after it already saved it.
Not sure what this is about... Guess I'll go back to adventure mode. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19253 on: February 16, 2012, 04:15:16 pm »

I was having some funky bug with the new DF for a day, and old saves weren't saving. A reboot and everything works again. Striek the earth, Prophetcloistered!

After a couple years, my first sign of scariness came in the form of a intruder. A what? not... an ambusher or something? nope, an intruder. Humans... I swear. Immediately following that guy was a  bunch of undead! I'm not in an evil biome... what the. I suddenly felt that my choice of using spears was a bad idea. Apparently not too bad though, because all of those corpses were slaughtered, as was another intruder - a necromancer.

Due to paranoia and recent discovery of awesomeness, I decided to make my garbage pit an actual pit, about 5 z levels deep and with no way up. If there are necromancers nearby... I'm going to need some more weapons.

EDIT: doesn't matter apaprently... save game isn't actually saving the game. Hmm... maybe I'll redownload it and see if that works.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19254 on: February 16, 2012, 04:25:51 pm »

Decided to finish my old fort (for now, I'm keeping the save though because I have a Theed Generator Complex-style megaproject I was working on, and might continue that) with a loyalty cascade. For suitable epic.

I've discovered two things:

1. Attacking dwarf caravan guards doesn't actually start a cascade, nor do the other guards particularly mind. Some useful "hardcore" training there perhaps.

2. My militia captain is awesome.

The militia captain charges at the Marksdwarf!
The Marksdwarf looks surprised by the ferocity of the militia captain's onslaught!
The militia captain kicks the Marksdwarf in the head with her left foot, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
The Marksdwarf has been knocked unconscious!
The militia captain collides with the Marksdwarf!
The Marksdwarf is knocked over.

FLYING KICK TO THE FACE, BITCH.

3. The dwarves that managed to lay their hands on our rather scarce stock of adamantine armour are really lucky, because it's protecting them even from other addy weapons. Steel... is not doing so well.

4. Mail shirts are essential, aforementioned militia captain just lost an arm to a swordmaster because her upper arms weren't protected.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:31:47 pm by imperium3 »
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19255 on: February 16, 2012, 05:41:37 pm »

I've determined that I hate mosquitos. After arming the ragtag group of migrant soldiers mentioned previously, two get promptly sucked dry by giant mosquitos (of which there are currently 150+ flying around) without even landing a blow. Things are not looking up for this fortress.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19256 on: February 16, 2012, 05:53:29 pm »

I...may have embarked into a living hell.

There are no strange mists turning all that it touches into mindless thralls. The grass does not have any eyeballs on it. It rains regular pure water. The worst of the wildlife are some thieving monkeys. Only my miner died so far, and 2 replacements have gotten close to his legendary skill.

There's just one problem.

I think there might not be any metal in the entire area. No copper, no gold, no silver, no iron, and apparently even no adamantine.

I am in a hell beyond that which any zombie, twisted sludge, or even the demons could have provided.

What should I do
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19257 on: February 16, 2012, 05:54:31 pm »

For fun, i embarked into a haunted or sinister location without having prepared my expedition to face this, i wanted to see if i could have them survive at least a season.

After arriving, the area seemed calm, but i started to notice animals fighting animal corpses, then once dead raising as corpse and they were all fighting each other, unholy sight to see undead ravens fighting undead carps fighting undead water buffalos.
Without losing a minute, i started digging, with the goal to get enough stone to wall that hell zone in order to give a safe area to my dwarves.

But very quickly

That didn't helped at all, dwarves were vomitting, and the stones were slow to come.

A water buffalo corpse finally arrived and invaded my underground haven, it was the end as the creature just maimed and gored every single dwarf of the expedition.

Horrible , just horrible , and one of the reason you really need to prepare your expedition equipment specifically for your embark zone :D
With taking stone and woods, i could have at least delayed that destruction by walling the area.

So awesome....

Also, I feel so stupid, but you just explained also how I can go about reclaiming a fort I lost to a minotaur.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19258 on: February 16, 2012, 06:06:49 pm »

I decided to start a game yesterday, my first serious game in a year or two. It's all going smashingly and I get two smallish waves of migrants before the first traders arrive in the fall. Then I begin to get harrassed by some giant birds stealing my stuff.

I recruit half of my migrants - they actually had fighting skills and were quite good at it. Then I get the message that one of my dwarves has been struck down. As it turns out, they didn't bring any weapons with them.

The giant birds then stole his stuff and flew away, leaving me to deal with a quite successful trading session and the addition of a 20-dwarf migrant wave in the first winter.

e: They were giant kea. Normal kea are described as a large species of parrot. The pictures, however, make them look like small hawks. Wikipedia even says how normal-sized kea can kill sheep. I would hate to see what a giant one can do to a dwarf.

Keas are smart and also famed for stealing stuff IRL and for ripping off rubber windshield wipers and biting tires.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #19259 on: February 16, 2012, 07:15:10 pm »

They say a picture says a thousand words... In this case it's just giant mosquito repeated over and over again.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Any advice on how to deal with 101 giant mosquitoes?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes, all of those are giant mosquitoes.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
Pages: 1 ... 1282 1283 [1284] 1285 1286 ... 3842