Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1268 1269 [1270] 1271 1272 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100557 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19035 on: February 14, 2012, 08:54:11 pm »

-snip-
trust me-the caverns will be easier (or at least the first cavern layer will be)

It's probably a moot point- the mechanic did not, in fact get the mechanisms and lever built before my former militia commander decided to run in. I threw every ablebodied dwarf at him, and had him pinned in a corner for a while, but he slaughtered his way out. My fortress population now consists of 9 children- I had 11, but the axedwarf thrall chased them outside and into yet another fog cloud.

Since I'm bloody-minded, I'll see if they make it till migrants.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19036 on: February 14, 2012, 09:17:56 pm »

my pokemon fort (which I'm now thinking of it as) is working out well. just seized all the wood from the first elven caravan, and am setting up power relays now for my hybrid wind/water reactor and desal plant. the "Free war dog for everyone" plan seems to be doing well for keeping them alive through all but unfortunate accidents.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19037 on: February 14, 2012, 09:20:11 pm »

Just experienced the cascade of teeth bug when my water buffalos went at it(note to self, slaughter them ASAP). I've got 20+ teeth in my stockpile...now here's to hoping THEY don't rise as well(I mean....how would that even WORK?!)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19038 on: February 14, 2012, 09:23:09 pm »

Just experienced the cascade of teeth bug when my water buffalos went at it(note to self, slaughter them ASAP). I've got 20+ teeth in my stockpile...now here's to hoping THEY don't rise as well(I mean....how would that even WORK?!)

Like a swarm of suicidal hornets.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19039 on: February 14, 2012, 09:29:24 pm »

I don't think the teeth thing is a bug, in the old version nobody had more than four teeth, now they have a more realistic number.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19040 on: February 14, 2012, 09:46:49 pm »

I don't think the teeth thing is a bug, in the old version nobody had more than four teeth, now they have a more realistic number.

I think it's more a case of "I hope those twenty teeth don't resurrect and chase me", a la the sentient horse hair thing.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19041 on: February 14, 2012, 09:55:34 pm »

The vampire menace may or may not be over... I'm not exactly sure. We found another dwarf dead - this time one of our guards. One of our mason's accused our mayor - Momuz Logemsanad. Meanwhile they in turn accused the manager. I don't know who it was, but I thought it more likely to be the mayor (since he's also the witness for the other), so I convicted him. he's serving 200 days strapped to a rope. I sort've wish these people would be more willing to do this convicting themselves. This matter needed to be resolved quickly though, so waiting around to see if they would wasn't worth the wait.

I also accidentally said something about one of our miners, which made the captain of the guard suspect a miner for a cold case. Yeah, I couldn't change his mind after the fact, so there are two people attached to ropes for 200 days. Oh well. I'm glad to have the cases closed either way, I was starting to suspect my captain of the guard himself.

Because the person dead is one of our guards, I had to replace him. I'm not happy about that, because they were getting pretty good in their sparring sessions. They, just the two of them, fended off an ambush of kobolds.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19042 on: February 14, 2012, 09:57:16 pm »

I think it's more a case of "I hope those twenty teeth don't resurrect and chase me", a la the sentient horse hair thing.

That's a terrible thing to hope, I dream about having my fortress overrun by murderous teeth and hair. I've yet to get a single zombie fort. Every time I embark I get nasty monsters and toxic rain but never zombies.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19043 on: February 14, 2012, 10:04:15 pm »

Just had a migrant wave of 66 drop in, quadrupling my population. SO MANY CHILDREN.

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19044 on: February 14, 2012, 10:27:33 pm »

I embarked and the zombies did a never ending Zerg rush on me. I tried to reclaim the fort after that, same results.
Lurking since 2009

Leerooooooooy walk forward twice

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19045 on: February 14, 2012, 10:47:46 pm »

Woah, loads of FUN! Shortly after the migrant wave, a forest titan with silk webs appeared and slaughtered the holy hell out of my military. Which was unarmed, still, even after a year with this fort. It promptly smashed down into the dining hall and murdered several people and children, then went to beat up one of the merchant's horses in the workshop area, where fortunately it is now walled off. Unfortunately, however, the workshop area is connected also to the food stockpile and masonry quarters... If I act quickly I can probably seal those off too.

The beast is contained, and the fortress saved! For now. I salvaged almost all I could. Only real loss is a stone stockpile with a ton of gypsum and a furniture stockpile full of rock pots. I'll probably make the beast's area into an execution chamber... but for now I'll focus on building a proper military.

Total death count: 25 dwarves and pets. Among them were 2 children and a baby. Additionally, a cook who'd gotten a fey mood went insane after he was unable to find whatever the hell he wanted. He's only melancholy, though. Hope he won't scare the children; I'd imagine a depressed dwarf must be quite a disheartening sight to them
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:15:56 pm by Stoup »

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19046 on: February 14, 2012, 11:01:29 pm »

New version!  Must start new fort!

A new legend will be founded in the border between Haunted mountains and a dense pine forest.  Gobbos are only a few tiles away, who are my only neighbors besides dwarves.  There are about 12 dwarven civilizations, including one sprawling across the top of the southern continent.  Stormcastle has been founded!  Strike the earth!

Edit: First wildlife to appear are a peregrine falcon (yay for favorite birds!) and a kakapo.  Underwhelming, but at least means I'm getting the bolthole dug before anything nastier comes, if it does.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:09:25 pm by Clover Magic »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19047 on: February 14, 2012, 11:34:33 pm »

A new legend will be founded in the border between Haunted mountains and a dense pine forest.  Gobbos are only a few tiles away, who are my only neighbors besides dwarves.  There are about 12 dwarven civilizations, including one sprawling across the top of the southern continent.  Stormcastle has been founded!  Strike the earth!

Edit: First wildlife to appear are a peregrine falcon (yay for favorite birds!) and a kakapo.  Underwhelming, but at least means I'm getting the bolthole dug before anything nastier comes, if it does.

From what I've seen,it most certainbly will. Yes, I'm undwarfy. I went with a more survivable warm Untamed Wilds starting fort so i could get my bearings.

And before you all cry burn the elf, I'd rather fight waves of pissy giant versions of harmless animals that stay dead than zombie horse hair. Even though that's funny as hell.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19048 on: February 14, 2012, 11:43:26 pm »

From what I've seen,it most certainbly will. Yes, I'm undwarfy. I went with a more survivable warm Untamed Wilds starting fort so i could get my bearings.

And before you all cry burn the elf, I'd rather fight waves of pissy giant versions of harmless animals that stay dead than zombie horse hair. Even though that's funny as hell.

Wildlife did not come, but a vile dust cloud did, right over my livestock too.   :P  It was a glorious end by Stray One-Humped Camel vile dust thrall.  Sweet, this is awesome.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19049 on: February 14, 2012, 11:44:52 pm »

I keep trying to build forts in the new evil biomes, but before I can even get my stuff inside they get rained on and die.

This new team should fare better. it's an elite team of miners with their medic.

I've tried war dogs, but those just come back to bite you in the ass...

literally...
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"
Pages: 1 ... 1268 1269 [1270] 1271 1272 ... 3842