Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1262 1263 [1264] 1265 1266 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100106 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18945 on: February 13, 2012, 02:52:48 am »

Ah. So you went with a more human method over the stuffing them ina room with a bunch of livestock then and HOPING they don't emo themselves to death.

Human method! HUMAN METHOD! I rage at such an insult, and my teenage dwarves could easily destroy such pitifully unprepared and useless creatures like humans, and without resorting to ranged weaponry, questionable training practices, or traps. Besides, dwarvish ethics specifically says that torturing for fun or knowledge is unthinkable - that's human thinking. Heck, that's goblin thinking, and we slaughter goblins :)

I thought you cannot have metal image decoration?
Apparently you can, as my weapons, armor, and clothing have plenty.

Edit: I love how you didn't notice the only kills with that sword were other dwarves :)

Well, I meant humane, not human. And define torture for fun. I think !!SCIENCE!! counts as legal torture for the overseers' (our) amusment, even if the goal is to see what happens when I have x do y. typically x makes y explode or something.

And humans aren't useless. They bring shit that dwarves can actually use, unlike certain tree huggers who shall remain nameless.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18946 on: February 13, 2012, 03:00:18 am »

Ah. So you went with a more human method over the stuffing them ina room with a bunch of livestock then and HOPING they don't emo themselves to death.

Human method! HUMAN METHOD! I rage at such an insult, and my teenage dwarves could easily destroy such pitifully unprepared and useless creatures like humans, and without resorting to ranged weaponry, questionable training practices, or traps. Besides, dwarvish ethics specifically says that torturing for fun or knowledge is unthinkable - that's human thinking. Heck, that's goblin thinking, and we slaughter goblins :)

I thought you cannot have metal image decoration?
Apparently you can, as my weapons, armor, and clothing have plenty.

Edit: I love how you didn't notice the only kills with that sword were other dwarves :)

Well, I meant humane, not human. And define torture for fun. I think !!SCIENCE!! counts as legal torture for the overseers' (our) amusment, even if the goal is to see what happens when I have x do y. typically x makes y explode or something.

And humans aren't useless. They bring shit that dwarves can actually use, unlike certain tree huggers who shall remain nameless.

Hey, don't bash them too badly, they bring the occasional exotic beast to train/butcher.

Last time they brought me an Elephant, horray for 190 meat! :D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18947 on: February 13, 2012, 04:06:43 am »

Hey, don't bash them too badly, they bring the occasional exotic beast to train/butcher.

Last time they brought me an Elephant, horray for 190 meat! :D

This is true. Had a fortress saved by giant leopards they brought me once. Giant Leopards are some tough sons a bitches too, a pair spotted soem gobos after being trained for battle, rushed them, took several bolts and a spar wound, decimated three squads of goblins down to 2-3 guys left each single handedly. Then they promply keeled over from blood loss. The best part: They had already given birth to 8 cubs.

And for my lastest news, A genisis fort by the name of Spearbreakers just got a loan of stuff from the dunedwellers. AKA I ripped down the depot and took thier shit.
My military has a squad armed with sun gold pikes, and a mace squad led by a guy with a sun gold morningstar. it's as if I made him all superior.

Also my best soldier.... Turned out to be a domple caste. To the unaware, Domple = dumb even by DF standards. And yet he still fought off a bunch of giant capybaras. Alone. Although i did mak a rather large expenditure at embark on some metor-metel gear just for him.
And a Sand Lion neutered a racoon.

And appearently my queen is a domple. How the fuck....

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18948 on: February 13, 2012, 06:04:12 am »

This is true. Had a fortress saved by giant leopards they brought me once. Giant Leopards are some tough sons a bitches too, a pair spotted soem gobos after being trained for battle, rushed them, took several bolts and a spar wound, decimated three squads of goblins down to 2-3 guys left each single handedly. Then they promply keeled over from blood loss. The best part: They had already given birth to 8 cubs.

did they give birth while fighting? That would be great
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18949 on: February 13, 2012, 06:46:51 am »

I learned something today.

This was an experiment.  I am satisfied with the !!Science!! preformed today, but won't be repeating this one.

Never mod your dwarves to have fire breath.

It ended badly.

1.  They could kill themselves by running into their own cloud of fire.
2.  Other dwarves are not fireproof.
3.  I had a monkey sneak into my food/drink stockpile, which was next to my wood stockpile.  Picture how this ended.

Thank you for this.  I laughed so hard for about two minutes that I was having a hard time breathing.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18950 on: February 13, 2012, 06:56:46 am »

however, after all the science with rapid breeding dragons, fire breathing cats and other such things, it should not have been a surprise. Animal tamers that tame a dragon are notorious for either becomming fire proof or being burned to ashes.

edit:

What the? Two of my dwarfs are having a drink with elves at the trade depot? Back to work! You're gonna feel my wrath! go test the magma trap in the baron his bedroom!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:36:43 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18951 on: February 13, 2012, 12:16:35 pm »

did they give birth while fighting? That would be great

Not while ighting, but mid-charge. Does that count? the cub scampered off to the well while momma went to go kill goblins. Shame momma din't come back.... She fucked them goblins up.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18952 on: February 13, 2012, 04:23:18 pm »

Had a minor strand herself on a floating piece of wall. She, by instruction, dug out the area below her and broke a bunch of parts. Sadly, I'm excited about this, as my doctors are only dabbling in any skill. They have a guinea pig!

And they're not taking any chances. The dwarflady has been diagnosed several times now, and is soon going to be a mummy with allt he thread sewn into her.

EDIT: as I'm looking at my military, I find out that 5 of my dwarves have an infection. Huh? that's... strange. Some of those don't even have injuries that I know of. Well, time will tell if anything happens.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:20:40 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18953 on: February 13, 2012, 04:35:28 pm »

Not even 1st winter. I must have been in its way, because a minotaur is already at my fortress.

I have four soldiers available, the best one being the rough equivalent of the smartest kid with downs syndrome. (Who knows the movie quote I just did?)

I pray my dwarves can beat such a bastard animal.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18954 on: February 13, 2012, 07:06:50 pm »

EDIT: as I'm looking at my military, I find out that 5 of my dwarves have an infection. Huh? that's... strange. Some of those don't even have injuries that I know of. Well, time will tell if anything happens.

are you in a cold/swamp biome? i have had similar experiences with each, im presuming frostbite for the cold, and disease for swamps.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18955 on: February 13, 2012, 07:37:06 pm »

are you in a cold/swamp biome? i have had similar experiences with each, im presuming frostbite for the cold, and disease for swamps.
never freezes here, and I don't THINK it's swampy. I have one layer of soil, errr... peat and sandy clay. I have lots of trees too... uh oh, let me make copy of the world, abandon, and check this out.

... no. I'm Tropical Shrubland with a northern tip of Mountain.

Though if peat is bad... that might explain why my wells are still stagnant water, even though they were carved out and had water pumped in.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18956 on: February 13, 2012, 08:04:30 pm »

I modded in a reaction for borax-based laundry detergent and the world promptly ended.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #18957 on: February 13, 2012, 08:12:38 pm »

What did you need it for?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18958 on: February 13, 2012, 09:32:57 pm »

I learned something today.

This was an experiment.  I am satisfied with the !!Science!! preformed today, but won't be repeating this one.

Never mod your dwarves to have fire breath.

It ended badly.

1.  They could kill themselves by running into their own cloud of fire.
2.  Other dwarves are not fireproof.
3.  I had a monkey sneak into my food/drink stockpile, which was next to my wood stockpile.  Picture how this ended.

Thank you for this.  I laughed so hard for about two minutes that I was having a hard time breathing.
Aaaaah, I remember when I did this, except they were made of bronze too, and could fly, and didn't need to eat, sleep or drink, but promptly fell asleep after two months never to wake up again.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18959 on: February 13, 2012, 10:32:00 pm »

Triggered a gobbo ambush, didn't think it was too bad... then another, okay I think I'm - oh wait, a third with Lashers. I slowclapped, and listened to the screams of my fortress dieing.

And I never even finished the town proper, or got the walls set up or anything in four years! Goooooblllliiins!
Pages: 1 ... 1262 1263 [1264] 1265 1266 ... 3842